UKC

Which compact around £100'ish?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 10 Nov 2012
Sorry as im sure i could do more research but im a bit stretched with time at the moment!
My daughter would like a digital compact and has around £100 to spend, she really wants to be able to set it to take black and white pics rather than doing the adjustments after.....is this possible?

Any suggestions greatly received....cheers
OP abr1966 11 Nov 2012
In reply to abr1966: bump....any opinions? Thanks
In reply to abr1966: I bought an Olympus VR-340 as a pocket-size take-anywhere camera. I like it and since the price on Amazon is now less than £75, it's rather a lot of small camera for the money. But the best thing to do is go into a camera shop and see how different models feel in the hand. My, or anyone else's, recommendation is no substitute for trying things out yourself.

T.
 hfac 11 Nov 2012
In reply to abr1966: I think you can get a fuji XP30 for that money with change to spare (new). I own one, compared to a DSLR it's obviously nowhere close but for a small nifty camera it's pretty good.
Shockproof/waterproof too!
 subalpine 13 Nov 2012
In reply to abr1966: have you purchased yet? i'm looking at the canon powershot sx220 and it seems hard to beat for 130..
 FrankBooth 13 Nov 2012
In reply to abr1966:
bought a basic Lumix for £65 or so for work - the results are great considering the price. We use it for all sorts of stuff, like office events, and the video's not bad either
In reply to subalpine:

That's a bargain at that price. Excellent camera with a useful zoom.

OP could also consider any of the IXUS range that match on price; they're pretty much all excellent.
 subalpine 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Dispater: had an impulsive moment in the highstreet yesterday and purchased the SX220 for 129
then i found out about the new SX240 (25-500) for 170 on amazon;(

anyone want a brand new SX220?
 ericoides 15 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

Then when you buy that you'll hear about the forthcoming SX260 and then rumours will seep through about the 5th generation SX280 just round the corner, and of course there's the new Oly and yes but no but yes. Face it, you've saved yourself 41 quid. Can't say that every day.

By the way, I'll have it. Very generous of you.
 subalpine 15 Nov 2012
In reply to ericoides: yeah, but i can't see much further improvement in compacts without increasing the size of the lens/sensor.
the 220hs compares favourably with my pentax dslr with standard zoom
ok, i'll keep it for you if you like

main advantage of the sx240 is the wider and longer lens and it's black..
 subalpine 15 Nov 2012
In reply to ericoides: the 260 is the 240 with GPS, so you mean the 280?
 ericoides 15 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

I plucked those numbers out of the air. I had no idea they meant anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...