UKC

Beacons advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philo22 10 Nov 2012
Hi,
Just after a bit of info - Hoping to head up to the Brecon Beacons for some hillwalking/long distance walking training either next weekend or the one after that. I'm travelling up from Cornwall and am basically after the best 'jumping off point'. i.e somewhere I can drive to, leave the car and head into the hills. Not been up that way for a very long time so don't really know my way around!
Would be very grateful for any advice regarding places to leave the car as well as any recommendations re. routes etc.
Many many thanks for any help.

Phil
nedmoran 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: I haven't been to the Brecon Beacons for years. But been to the Black Mountains a couple of times over the last few years and usually park the car in Llanthony. You could google the big black mountains challenge and would probably find 3 routes around there. I think the 2 shorter ones are about 5 and 10 miles. The long one is 30 miles and is a good walk. Not to far from the beacons either.
Carpe Diem 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: Pen y Fan Horseshoe is always a good day in the hills.Done it in winter and summer.

http://www.walkingclub.org.uk/book_3/walk_85/index.shtml
 Mark Morris 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem: And do able from the Storey Arms (Which the link suggests it isn't? Very strange.)

From the Storey Arms will get you walking quicker as the drive from Merthyr up to the Upper Neuadd takes some time and is probably safer for the car. There always seems to be lots of broken glass up there, but the Storey Arms is so busy, it's always safe.
 avayaman 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: Hi, Best walk in Beacons
http://tinyurl.com/b39y9pj
and parking
OP Philo22 11 Nov 2012
In reply to avayaman: Thanks everyone for your advice, will try to post some pics of the weekend!
 Wainers44 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: I have done the day drive up to the Beacons from our part of the world a quite a few times now and I find the best start is Aber Village on the way into Talybont. Storey Arms is OK if you like that sort of thing (ie motorway path and loads of people) but the walk in from the East is much better IMHO. The walk up onto Waun Rhdd makes a change from the blazed routes to the main tops.

I have never had a problem leaving the car there, just always made sure its obvious there isnt anything to pinch!
 Wonrek 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: The Beacons Ultra marathon is on next weekend so depending on whether you want company or not you may want to factor into your route

http://www.beaconsultra.com/

OP Philo22 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Wonrek: Cheers for the info. Now thinking I am going to give the 10 peak challenge a go (or at follow the same route at least).

http://www.10peaks.com/
 Wonrek 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: Run or walk? I've seen that one but I'm waiting till after I run the 'Might contain nuts' Brecon ultra at the beginning of December to See if I have a burning desire to run there again.

That and it'll only be a couple of weeks after a 64 mile plague RAT race I've entered (please read as ive been coerced to do

gulp!
OP Philo22 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Wonrek: Hopefully run but we'll see... The actual event took place in September but I've downloaded the route and will be giving myself the same time allowance for the course. Hoping it will be something of a training exercise to brush up on my night nav, as well as a decent yomp.
RAT looks fun, might consider it for next year. I did the Classic Quarter (45 miles) a year or two back which looks similar (well worth a look if you get the chance).
 damo5000 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22:

Storey arms centre, then follow the fan dance route!
 Wonrek 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: enjoy, weather looks pretty good for it!

I've done CQ as its on my doorstep, eyeing up the UTSW60 next year. I've got a Lakeland50 place but my nav is shocking, truly shocking so I think I may end up doing the 100 course
janiejonesworld 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22: do not go in to Merthyr Tydfil under any circumstances. that is all
 spearing05 16 Nov 2012
In reply to janiejonesworld:
> (In reply to Philo22) do not go in to Merthyr Tydfil under any circumstances. that is all

Yet another instance where UKC needs a 'like' button
 Welsh Kate 16 Nov 2012
In reply to spearing05:
wimp, Spearing!
OP Philo22 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Wonrek: CQ is a lovely race, heard a rumor they were thinking of bringing in an extended course in the future? Just checked out the Lakeland 100 (don'y know how that slipped under the radar...) Looks like a cracking race, have a good 'un!!
I'm thinking Horseman next September looks interesting if my knees can take it...
OP Philo22 17 Nov 2012
In reply to janiejonesworld: Good to know, cheers mate. Fortunately I think I will most likely be heading up to Talybont and leaving the car there.
 Dom Whillans 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Philo22:
The Camarthen Fans (the western Beacons) make for the best walk in the Beacons in my experience (and I grew up in the area, must have walked all the hills many many times). The central hills may be the classics, but if you want a bit more of a mountainous feel and to get away from the crowds head west a few miles. If you want a navigational experience, head to the Black Mountains.
OP Philo22 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Dom Whillans: Cheers for the advice Dom, hopefully heading west on day 2.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...