UKC

Easy Jet and double ski bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 11 Nov 2012
Anyone had any hassle with easyjet querying two pairs of skis in one bag being a single item?

Nothing I can see in their terms but my mate said he got pulled up once and asked to pay for an additional bag even though there was only one.
 andy 11 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2123820

This suggests two pairs of skis are two "sporting items" under their policy, but there seem to be lots of reports of people getting away with it.
 Trangia 11 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Seems fair as it's double the weight.
 andy 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia: They have a pretty strict weight limit anyway - 32kg total weight limit, no clothes in your sports bag etc. It's also an issue for them as if they lost them you'd expect to claim for two pairs of skis (presumably).
scrufff 11 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

I've always taken 2 pairs and never even thought about it. I'm not even too sure where they'd query it? At Manchester and Liverpool you check in then take your skis down to a separate desk run by the airport and not the airline.
OP DaveHK 11 Nov 2012
In reply to scrufff:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> I've always taken 2 pairs and never even thought about it. I'm not even too sure where they'd query it? At Manchester and Liverpool you check in then take your skis down to a separate desk run by the airport and not the airline.

I've always done the same but not flown with skis on Easyjet before. My assumpion was that as long as it is under weight it didn't matter but assumptions can end up costing you dear with these things.
 doz 11 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: When kids were wee managed four pairs!
Think there is weight limit which matters more thanwhat is in the bag
 gear boy 12 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: 2 pairs of skis in a snowboard bag, looks like a snowboard, never got asked for extra myself, I pack them flat so bases out, with binding interlocking and brakes held back with elastic bands
 MG 12 Nov 2012
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Trangia) They have a pretty strict weight limit anyway - 32kg total weight limit, no clothes in your sports bag etc. It's also an issue for them as if they lost them you'd expect to claim for two pairs of skis (presumably).

I think they are carried "limited release", which means they pay you nothing regardless of what happens.
 MG 12 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
> Anyone had any hassle with easyjet querying two pairs of skis in one bag being a single item?

Done this three or four times with no problem with Easyjet, but you never know...
M0nkey 12 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

I have got away with two snowboards in snowboard bag on easyjet, although strictly speaking i think you are supposed to carry only one board per bag. I don't see how they could catch you.
 Neil Williams 12 Nov 2012
In reply to M0nkey:

By spotting it when X-raying, and offloading the bag as you did not comply with their T&Cs?

If your holiday is dependent on getting your kit there, it's quite a risk to save a few quid on a holiday that almost certainly costs much more.

Neil
 daWalt 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
> By spotting it when X-raying, and offloading the bag as you did not comply with their T&Cs?

Do the baggage handlers and security folk have detailed knowledge of each carrier's T&Cs?
 Tom Hutton 12 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: Never had a problem with 2 pairs of touring skis but then the weight is less than a pair of carvers...
OP DaveHK 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to M0nkey)
>
> By spotting it when X-raying, and offloading the bag as you did not comply with their T&Cs?

I'm pretty confident that this wouldn't happen. If they don't pick it up at the desk then I think you can assume you're in the clear unless they pick up something they consider to be dangerous on the x-ray
 Neil Williams 12 Nov 2012
In reply to daWalt:

No, but if you're flying from, say, Luton, they might have contracted them to do that as the majority airline.

At Stansted, for instance, security do (or at least used to) enforce Ryanair's hand baggage restrictions at the scanners for those who present Ryanair boarding cards (the size is smaller than easyJet's size).

Neil
In reply to DaveHK: I took 2 set of skis and a board in one bag last year, padded out with clothing backcountry kit poles etc, no drams at all i always get as much in my ski bag as possible the weight limit is normally huge.
janiejonesworld 16 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: have had 2 sets of skis, axe, shovel, probe, crampons, glacier kit and clothes to pad all in one bag on EJ more than once. But you're at the mercy of the tard or jobsworth at the check in. Someone I know had to leave an expensive cylinder for an avalanche bag behind despite having an email authorising it from EJ themselves in his hand. Ultimately they pull a "referee's decision is final" card on you and have the power to stop you and / or your bags getting on that plane. Still, I'll be chancing it again myself next time
OP DaveHK 16 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Cheers folks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...