UKC

Gore-Tex boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climbing mckay 12 Nov 2012
Hey,

I have just been testing my gore tex boots, finding that the membrane has failed

I tested them by filling the with water and putting them on some dry newspaper. Do you think thats fair or should i test them in a different way?

butteredfrog 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Climbing mckay:

Thats how we used to test the returns in the shop. Just make sure you are not filling the boot up over the top of the "sock"
In reply to butteredfrog:

Yeah I made sure there was a space of half an inch to an inch before the top of the boot.
 butteredfrog 12 Nov 2012

You should be able to see the gortex "sock", it will probably finish below the cuff padding.
In reply to butteredfrog: Yeah, did that, started leaing after 30 minutes, been about an hour and the news paper is soaked
 Garbhanach 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Climbing mckay: I had the same topic up recently had same problem sent them back,interesting video here on how Goretex test their stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=jXwor0Ridow&

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=522474&v=1#x7042309
 AdCo82 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Climbing mckay: sounds a funny thing to say but are your toenails always cut short when you have used the boots in the past?
 Stash 13 Nov 2012

Just a quick question. How old are the boots?

yeah check inside were your big toe could rub inside near the toe sometimes a big hole were long talons have rubbed is evident. thats called wear and tear in my book.

In reply to Stash:

They are 2 years old, and would be used once every 3 months with gentle use, did 2 longers trips in that time, and my big toe is not near the area that leaks, and my toes dont touch the end of the boot.
 Garbhanach 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Stash: It's also recommended to remove any footbeds and check there are no bits of grit or small stones that could damage the goretex after using plus Superfeet have a bit on their web site saying they will not guarantee their product will not damage goretex liners, however in my case the boots were brand new and leaked and many reviews complain of new goretex boots leaking.
Scarpa are using a material called outdry which has some good reviews.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...