UKC

Localised forearm swelling - any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 combatrock 12 Nov 2012
Hi all

Thought i'd see if anyone in UKC world has experienced similar...

For the last few climbing sessions, my right forearm swells up in the time it takes to do one or two routes after warmng up, but only in one specific area. Starting from just below the wrist, on the thumb side, and spreading 4 inches or so up towards the elbow. It looks like my actual arm is bent such is the angle of it - the shape and size of the lump is similar to a computer mouse! My fingers on that hand feel slightly weak, but weirdly there is no pain on the forearm. I'm able to carry on climbing, gently, and by the end of the following day after rest it's back to normal size.

Any idea what the hell this is?!?!

Thanks

Sir Chasm 12 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock: I have no idea what's wrong with your arm. It sounds pretty minor though, on no account should you consult a medical professional.
aultguish 12 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock:
Torn tendon sheath?
OP combatrock 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Sir Chasm: I was thinking a home amputation of the arm may be required at some point...
 catt 12 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock: Sounds like you have a case of dontgoseeadritis. Nasty.

Compartment syndrome? Also nasty.
 Sir Chasm 12 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock: You'll be fine, keep climbing on it and see how it progresses, what's the worst that can happen?
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 12 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock:

Maybe send a photo?

The email address should tell you what profession I am in

Aujayeb@doctors.net.uk
OP combatrock 12 Nov 2012
In reply to aujayeb: Thank you, next time i'm at the wall i will. When i'm not climbing it's a normal size!

I never know when to get something looked at and when i'm being a big wuss...more than likely the latter! It just looks so odd and never had anything like this happen before
OP combatrock 26 Nov 2012

So i've been to an osteo who said 'hmmm, very odd', and to a gp who said 'have you tried ibuprofen'. Mentioned chronic compartment syndrome and both agreed it was highly unlikely but wouldn't expand on why. It still hurts like hell and is starting to swell a bit even when i'm not doing anything. Any further ideas, or anyone had similar symptoms? Getting very fed up now
 Dave Garnett 26 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock:

> It just looks so odd and never had anything like this happen before

Generally two pretty good reasons for getting someone who knows what they are talking about to look at it.
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I agree, but the osteo and the gp don't seem bothered in the slightest, not sure who to see next
 Dave Garnett 26 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock:

Did your GP see it when it was swollen? If it's really as big a mouse (either sort), I can't believe they wouldn't be interested.
In reply to Dave Garnett:

No, it was pretty much normal size (slight bump) when the gp saw it. Only balloons out when under pressure from either climbing or gym (both of which i've stopped doing for now). The gp was a stand in and i was her last appointment of the day...

Have looked through loads of forums and injury sites but can't find anything like this except compartment syndrome but the articles seem to suggest it would be even more painful and unlikely in someone as crap as me i.e not a hardcore climber or training beast
 nniff 26 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock:
> I never know when to get something looked at and when i'm being a big wuss...more than likely the latter! It just looks so odd and never had anything like this happen before

two immediate lessons here:

I went to see a man about my knee a couple of weeks ago, mostly expecting to be told to MTFU.

He will stick his scalpel into it one week today......

On Friday I told my daughter, who is at Uni, to stop messing around and go to A&E. Hopefully, they'll discharge her from hospital this afternoon, but maybe tomorrow.

DynamoCL 26 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock:

I'm not being facetious, but could you book a GP appointment, then in the toilet/waiting room - do some press-ups/pull-ups to get the inflammation to show them? Or even do press ups in the consultation room if they will let you.

If it really concerns you, go do a session in the gym and try a drop in clinic (see if your hospital has a minor injury clinic and coordinate)?
Yes, i think i may have to do that, just so they can see it when it looks freaky! thanks for the suggestion. maybe go climbing, await swelling, then drive over to the nearest a&e on a quiet night...

nniff: hope everything works out ok for you and daughter. a cautionary tale indeed

Cheers guys/gals
 Siderunner 27 Nov 2012
In reply to combatrock:
Sounds very like compartment syndrome to me. A mate of mine had it and you've got the exact same symptoms, extreme swelling on moderate exercise. It's discussed in the excellent book "one move too many" by Volkner et al. I suspect you shouldn't be climbing on it, but definitely the doctor should be taking you more seriously, so try again.
OP combatrock 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Siderunner:

Thanks for the info - the more i read, the more i feel it could be compartment syndrome... what happened to your mate, did he/she have surgery on it? One arm or both?
 Siderunner 09 Dec 2012
In reply to combatrock: surgery, one arm only, now climbing at a high standard again
OP combatrock 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Siderunner: Thanks, that gives me some hope if it does turn out to be bad! awaiting yet another gp appointment, this time armed with print outs and pages from one move too many...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...