UKC

Plymouth or Cardiff Uni

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Quarryboy 15 Nov 2012
Right I have nailed down four of my five university options. The 5th is now between Cardiff and Plymouth, subject I plan to study is computer science.

For reference I currently have one option I know I can definitely get into, one I should be able to get an offer from and two which providing I keep up the hard work I hope to get offers from. Plymouth is in the I should get into category, Cardiff is in I hope to get into category.

So hit me with anything which may sway me either way that you know of.
 Stanners 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy:
Just count the number of stars on routes within a 10 mile radius, compare the sum of each and go for the one with the most
 SimonMarcYoung 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: IF you get into plymouth uni, you got all of dartmoor on your door step
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy:

I went to Plymouth.

Very different degree to yours but generally found there to be good staff and teaching, I was at Exeter campus though - probably not much help.

Shit loads of trad, sport, bouldering and DWS nearby, but you know that already.
 Toby_W 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy:

Well, I've worked at Bristol, Bath and now Plymouth in electrical eng. I moved to Plymouth for the area, cycling, climbing and I really need to get a sea kayak. I saw one of my first year tutees today who is on the computing degree course and seems to be really enjoying it. The department and people in it seem happy and nice. The students I teach are excellent, I have been hugely impressed by them.
I know that Cardiff has a good reputation and their elec dept got mentioned a lot while I was at Bath.
Good luck with your choices and work hard play hard.

Cheers

Toby
 Toerag 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: I went to Uni of Surrey in 96 and plymouth in 98 - Plymouth was party town, Surrey was nerd town. Plymouth had an active climbing club, but walls involved a cycle or 20 minute walk from the centre.obviously you have plenty of climbing close by from dartmoor granite to seacliff sport. One of our bursary students is at plym doing some sort of computer degree, I'll point him at the thread.
In reply to Quarryboy: I went to Plymouth Uni, though way back in the dark ages.

Brilliant place, great area.

Cardiff is a hole. (I'm Welsh BTW)
 Welsh Kate 16 Nov 2012
Do you live here?
I do. There are some parts of Cardiff that might be described as 'a hole', but that's pretty much fair for most cities. Most of the city's great, and it's as easy to get out into the Beacons as it is to get to Dartmoor from Plymouth.

To the OP: look at the details of the course and make your decision on that basis! You may (or may not) want to consider the fees as well, if Plymouth's are lower, and / or the opportunities for bursaries.
In reply to Welsh Kate:
> Do you live here?
> I do. There are some parts of Cardiff that might be described as 'a hole', but that's pretty much fair for most cities. Most of the city's great, and it's as easy to get out into the Beacons as it is to get to Dartmoor from Plymouth.

Not exactly noted for its rock climbing is the Brec. We were asked for our perspectives BTW, I gave mine. Cardiff is a twll.
In reply to Quarryboy:

For climbing in Plymouth you have Life Centre for indoor easily walkable from Uni and then all of Dartmoor for outdoor stuff. I was at Plymouth Uni in 1998 and is seemed to be fa reasonably well set up institution. I moved back to Plymouth last year to work and it is great having all the outdoor stuff on the doorstep.
 EeeByGum 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: Simply based on a comparison of Cardiff

http://coursefinder.cardiff.ac.uk/Undergraduate/course/detail/G400.html

vs Plymouth

http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/3429/Pages/CourseDetail.as...

personally, I am more inspired by Plymouth's course. At Cardiff, you learn Java and Python which are relevant, but Plymouth seem to give you a more rounded programming introduction by offering C# in Visual Studio, Java and also embedded programming using C / C++. You also cover Android and Agile development in Plymouth and there is a course on the legalities of computing at Plymouth which can be very useful.

No idea if one is genuinely better than the other, but on paper, I would be more inclined to hire someone from Plymouth than Cardiff, just because they would appear to be more rounded. Looking through the Cardiff courses, I have no idea what Pervasive Computing, Infomatics or Strategic Information Systems are and I have only been in the industry for 12 years!

Good luck.
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: Cardiff is a great city with a lot going on and the countryside is endlessly beautiful and easy to get to. The coast is fantastic too.

BUT being Welsh probably helps (not that I am!) and the nearest good climbing, whatever anyone tells you, is Gower, Pembroke, Wye Valley and Bristol. Mind you, they compare pretty favourably with Chudleigh...

mattrm 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy:

stroppygob - If you think Cardiff is a hole, you've obviously never lived in anywhere really dire or have unrealistic standards.

Cardiff is quite nice by and large. As others have said, you have to travel a bit to get to decent climbing. But as I have a feeling you're actually vaguely local to Cardiff, then you're probably aware of that. So based on that, I'd be tempted to say Plymouth as it's maybe more of an area you wouldn't normally get to climb at. You don't need to be Welsh to live in Cardiff. I managed fine going to uni in mid-wales, so don't worry about that at all.

However it's quite a trek to Plymouth and even longer to get to other parts of the country. Cardiff is similar, but I wouldn't say it's as far. However both are served by motorways, so it's not that bad.

Both of the courses look good. Personally, I'd not touch C# with a bargepole, but there are a lot of safe boring jobs doing it. If you get a chance to do an Industrial Year, then I'd go for it. It's well worth doing. Especially if you can get a good posting. I know mates who did ones with HP, Yahoo, Lehman Bros (not so good in hindsight, but he learnt a lot) and they mostly got jobs with those companies after leaving uni.
 EeeByGum 16 Nov 2012
In reply to mattrm:

> Personally, I'd not touch C# with a bargepole

I don't think that is really relevant. I learned Ada, Eiffle and Miranda at university, the argument being that learning to program is about concepts and not syntax. Even though I now program C++, I still agree with the sentiment.
In reply to mattrm:
> (In reply to Quarryboy)
>
> stroppygob - If you think Cardiff is a hole, you've obviously never lived in anywhere really dire or have unrealistic standards.

I lived in Llanelli for 22 yrs, top that for a sh!thole.

My opinion remains unchanged, "Cardiff is a hole."
 paul walters 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: Uni Plym, no question. I was there '92-95 and had the best 3 years of my life !!
 paul walters 20 Nov 2012
In reply to stroppygob: Port Talbot.... .Swansea even ?
 chers 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Quarryboy: I'm from Plymoputh...go to Cardiff. City is much nicer, plus its Wales!!
 EeeByGum 20 Nov 2012
In reply to paul walters:
> (In reply to Quarryboy) Uni Plym, no question. I was there '92-95 and had the best 3 years of my life !!

Aye - but students don't do fun any more. Recently just joined Manchester Uni Chorus. In my day, it was mandatory to go to the pub after music rehearsals. When I asked someone why no one goes to the pub I was told "It would be a very long day if we did"

Ho hum.
 paul walters 20 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: fcuk ! I spent my entire 2nd year in the pub ! and most of my 3rd .... ended up with a First Class Honours and a nervous tic in my eye, but it was a great time !! Work hard play hard.... what's the world coming to ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...