UKC

Patrick Edlinger RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Nov 2012
Bruno tells me that the death of 'Le Blond' had been confirmed - aged 52. No details as yet.

Sad times.

Chris
janiejonesworld 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: terrible shame

http://www.ledauphine.com/france-monde/2012/11/16/escalade-patrick-edlinger...

cause not known at the mo

RIP
In reply to Chris Craggs: Crikey, stunned at that I remember seeing the pictures of him soloing in the Verdon before i ever went there.
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Crikey, very sad. The French were so bloody good in the 70s and 80s - seemed to have fun as well, whatever we might have hoped to the contrary.

RIP.
 woolsack 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Sorry to hear this, he was a huge inspiration to me as a young climber
In reply to jonathan shepherd:

I remember struggling on Debilof - Le Blond soloed it barefoot! A sad day.

ALC
Carney 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Hi Chris,been down in the Canyon today, and just heard the sad news this evening.

An immortal legend!
 Ian Dunn 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: very sad news, not a good title for the thread Chris, he deserves a lot more respect. He was a legend, he could climb in style even under the most difficult situations and pressure, eg his win at Snowbird. No one climbing in the eighties will forget his ascents, he was to climbing like John McEnroe is to tennis. RIP and condolences to all his family and friends.
 Ian Dunn 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Carney: carry on climbing Carney he would want you to do that
 Tim Sparrow 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: "Patrick Edgeclinger" - what a legend. What sad news.
Carney 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Ian Dunn: Thanks Ian, I shall certainly be doing that. I remember (you probably do also) his visit to Altrincham wall early 80s maybe, he was just starting to get a reputation and we were all fascinated to see what this mysterious mutant climber from the south of France was going to do on 'our' wall!
In reply to Chris Craggs:

God, that's terrible. Illness rather than accident, presumably? No wonder his gite in the Verdon wasn't returning calls a couple of months ago.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> God, that's terrible. Illness rather than accident, presumably? No wonder his gite in the Verdon wasn't returning calls a couple of months ago.
>
> jcm

It appears to have been something sudden. Apparently Patrick had been going through a troubled personal moment, but I've no idea if this is related with his death or no.
 biscuit 17 Nov 2012

A climbing legend. How sad.

Very sad news indeed
 racodemisa 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Very very sorry to hear this.
 Cog 17 Nov 2012

Sad.

I thought UKC would have had an article about his life.
 Ian Dunn 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Carney: yes March 1983 I gave him a pair of gymnastic tights me and Nick Dixon used to climb in, perhaps we were responsible for the age of Lycra !!

He was a amazing climber dirty Derek used to emulate him so sad both are not with us anymore.

Hope you are well.
 JamButty 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Legend....RIP

Anyone know cause of death yet?
 Jonny2vests 18 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty:

Alcoholism according to some sources. Damn shame.
 Jonny2vests 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Cog:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> Sad.
>
> I thought UKC would have had an article about his life.

I'm sure they will if you give them a chance.
Carney 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Ian Dunn: Ah yes Ian your right, I remember Derek doing that! I have been watching those wonderful films he made and his skill and precision on rock elevated climbing to an art form - certainly something to emulate.
I am really well and climbing almost every day - suppose I am finally living that dream we all had back in 'Windy Ledge' days. Hope you are well also.
 Mick Ward 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Carney:

Terrible news. That such a once free spirit is gone is heartbreaking.

> ...his skill and precision on rock elevated climbing to an art form - certainly something to emulate.

Every fumble that we make is a pale echo of his grace.

Mick

P.S. Although I'm sure Chris meant no disrespect, I'd agree that it would be appropriate to change the title of the thread. Even something simple like 'The Death of Patrick Edlinger' would surely be more dignified - and fitting.

Oceanic 18 Nov 2012

Wolfgang Gullich, John Bachar, Patrick Edlinger. It is sad and surprising that they are all of the same generation, and all died young.
Carney 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Oceanic: Add to that list : Kurt Albert, Todd Skinner, Patrick Berhault, and probably more I haven't thought of. All giants - a great loss.
In reply to Carney:

Carney good to hear you are still living the dream and climbing well. Derek was a legend and I remember all the good times we had back in the Windy Ledge days.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Nov 2012

Thanks Mods for changing the title, no offence intended.

Chris
Carney 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Christheclimber: Yes Chris, Derek also one of the greats. What a privilege to have known him. Just thinking back makes me smile.
Hope you are recovering well from the shoulder op.
Carney 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: For the French speakers out there here is recent TV interview with Jean Michel Asselin, journalist and co author of his biography which is due out next year. Clearly very moved by the tragic news.

http://alpes.france3.fr/2012/11/17/reaction-de-jean-michel-asselin-la-mort-...
In reply to Carney:

Thanks Carney
 paul mitchell 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: had a look on Paris Match website last week and it said he was found dead at his home in la Palud,no more details.

Mitch
 Null 26 Nov 2012
In reply to paul mitchell:

In Italy it is widely reported that he fell down his rather treacherous staircase landing on two mattresses, kept in position for such events. Tragically there was a small gap between the mattresses and his head impacted between them, on the floor. He crawled to his bathroom but died there from a brain hemorrhage. The assumption is that he fell occasionally as a result of drinking a glass or two in excess, a bad habit he had openly discussed.

Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, however, I think it was first reported by the Corriere dello Sport and having met the editor, I know that he is an expert in mountaineering (he wrote a biography of Cassin) and a serious journalist, so I presume it is accurate.
In reply to Erstwhile:

Edlinger died in a home accident as the one you've described. The original cause of the accident however has not been officially stated, and I think it will be never established.

His personal problems and his excessive drinking were well known, but I'm not aware it was positively confirmed this was the cause of the fall.
 TobyA 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Luca Signorelli: It's terribly sad to hear, although I suspect that, like me, most Brits didn't know anything of his personal life. I think actually, at least in British climbing culture, people's achievements in the sport tend to be celebrated quite separately from the rest of their life - good and bad. It's often only when biographies are written that we realise our heroes and real people with all the complexity that entails.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...