UKC

Cleaning gore tex jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SARS 17 Nov 2012
I've been using my winter goretex shell as a throwover for my leather motorbike jacket when out riding recently.

Now I guess this isn't the best use of a nice NF mountaineering jacket but it saves me having yet another jacket to buy and store.

Any thoughts on how to best remove the grime that I'm slowly building up for London's traffic and roads? Would like to preserve the waterproofing and breathability too.

daveaubrey 17 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

get some nikwax techwash. You can get it from any outdoor store. The shop i work in sells it for 4.49. There'll be a bunch of instructions on the back but here're the basics: Drain out the detergent residue from your machine (normal detergents harm the membrane). 40 degree synthetic wash with 3 capfuls of the techwash. you can wash 2 items at once. Ideally you'd want to do it every 2-6 months. I'd say from what you're using it for you'd want to do every 2 or 3.

Hope this helps,

Dave
OP SARS 17 Nov 2012
In reply to daveaubrey:

Perfect. Thanks very much for that.
 MtnGeekUK 17 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

Don't forget that once you've washed it, you'll need to reproof it (i.e. restore the waterproof nature of the jacket).

Another Nikwax product will do this.

Just be a little careful on temperature - I thought my Pro-shell jacket a 30 degree wash, rather than 40 suggested above.

Nikwax always suggest to follow the manufacturer's advice - if in doubt, read the care label.
Jim C 17 Nov 2012
In reply to daveaubrey:
> (In reply to SARS)
>
> get some nikwax techwash. You can get it from any outdoor store. The shop i work in sells it for 4.49. There'll be a bunch of instructions on the back but here're the basics: Drain out the detergent residue from your machine (normal detergents harm the membrane). 40 degree synthetic wash with 3 capfuls of the techwash. you can wash 2 items at once. Ideally you'd want to do it every 2-6 months. I'd say from what you're using it for you'd want to do every 2 or 3.
>
> Hope this helps,

How many washes before reproofing?
>
> Dave

tron 18 Nov 2012
In reply to Jim C: It's normally 2 or 3 washes before re-proofing. After washing it, you'll want to apply some sort of heat to dry it, which will reactivate the DWR - easiest thing is a tumble dryer on a low heat setting, otherwise an iron on the lowest setting, with a towel in between it and the jacket should be fine. You'll know that it needs re-proofing when water stops beading on the fabric, even after washing.
 Dan_S 18 Nov 2012
In reply to daveaubrey:
> (In reply to SARS)
>
> get some nikwax techwash. You can get it from any outdoor store. The shop i work in sells it for 4.49. There'll be a bunch of instructions on the back but here're the basics: Drain out the detergent residue from your machine (normal detergents harm the membrane). 40 degree synthetic wash with 3 capfuls of the techwash. you can wash 2 items at once. Ideally you'd want to do it every 2-6 months. I'd say from what you're using it for you'd want to do every 2 or 3.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Dave

A cheaper and just as good option is to pick up some dri-pak liquid soap from most large Tescos (other supermarkets may stock it too)

The detergent doesn't damage the membrane. They contain a wetting agent to make the water and cleaning agent penetrate the fabric. This wetting agent stops the DWR from binding to the fabric. The DWR is the layer that helps water bead off and helps maintain breathability. It's what you apply when you "re-proof" your jacket.
Jim C 18 Nov 2012
In reply to tron:
Thanks all 4 jackets are now washed and reproofed for the winter.
Anthony 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Jim C: Another option is 'Granny's Original pure gentle Soap Flakes' (90% pure saop and no enzymes). I got mine for £1.60 a box from Tesco (up to 10 washes). They specifically mention its use on Waterproof and Breathable garments and give clear instructions about dissolving the soap flakes if you want to machine wash.

Full data sheet available from: http://www.fmcgltd.com/images/pdfs/Grannys2.pdf

COMPOSITION/ INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Contents:
Greater than 80% Soap
Less than 20% Water

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...