UKC

Ski resort Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
slinky wizard 18 Nov 2012
Can any one suggest a ski resort in Italy which is reasonably priced as funds are low and my daughter wants to go skiing in feb. thanks

Null 18 Nov 2012
In reply to slinky wizard:

You should specify your skill level and how long you are staying.

If you are relative beginners and not expecting to ski more than 5 or 6 days then there are loads of places in Italy (like just up the hill from me - Bondone).

If you are super carvers who want loads of long hard runs and/or are wanting to ski in one place for ages, then you have less options. (Madonna di Campiglio is our nearest).

In reply to slinky wizard: Hi I should of said my daughter is a beginner whilst I'm intermediate thinking of maybe 5 days skiing thanks dave
 Cuthbert 18 Nov 2012

Passo Tonale is cheap but pretty unchallenging skiing. You can get the bus also to Madonna di campiglio about 20 mins away.
Steph-in-the-West 18 Nov 2012
Cervinia at the foot of the Matterhorn is lovely but not sure how expensive it is now. Lots of very flattering blues and reds
 DrP 18 Nov 2012

I'd second Cervinia. Cheap Cielo Alto apartments at the top of the town (up a hill - so a bit of a hike after the apres), but also try the little local BnBs. You can find all the accom via the resort website.
In reply to slinky wizard: Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply
 ripper 18 Nov 2012
In reply to slinky wizard: Canazei and Selva (Val di Fassa and Val Gardena) for the Sella Ronda ski area are nice - seemed reasonably priced to me but I don't really know how it compares to elsewhere in Italy.
gary1 19 Nov 2012
In reply to slinky wizard: another vote for Cervinia although if it hets very windy the resort will shut which it does often.
 Trangia 19 Nov 2012

La Thuile - close to but much cheaper than Courmayeur with a good range of Blues and Reds. Buses to Courmayeur if you fancy a change.
 Kean 19 Nov 2012
In reply to slinky wizard: Insanely cheap package at our local ski area: Hotel €129 bed and breakfast, 5 days, including ski pass! Dinner €18. A modest ski area, but with some excellent off piste, very family-friendly and cheap ski school, the catch is there's bugger all to do in the evening so you need a car...You can drive to San Martino di Castrozza in approx 1 hour which has some awesome skiing, but it's a different ski area so you'd have to buy a day pass. But for anybody looking for a DIY, Ryanair plus car hire cheap-as-chips holiday it's a pretty good.
http://www.brocon.it/Offertelastminute.htm
http://www.viagginrete-it.it/strutture/brocon/indexen.asp
http://www.brocon.it/piste.htm
My wife stayed there with her mate last year on the same package & had a good time...
Incidentally, this area is also a mecca for ski mountaineering...but again you'd need a car, guidebook and map to get to the starts.
 goldmember 19 Nov 2012
In reply to kean: thats seems so cheap! where is the nearest airport pal?
 sam@work 19 Nov 2012
In reply to slinky wizard: fly to turin - ibis hotel in briancon ?
 John Ww 19 Nov 2012

Livigno?
 AG 19 Nov 2012
In reply to slinky wizard: Bardonecchia is good for kids, if you stay at campo smith you're right on the slope. Been to la thullie, sauze d oulx, sestriere ,Pila and courmayeur but Bardo is the cheapest. My 4 year old loved it last year - by day 4 he was coming down the blues.
About 2 hours from Milan or just over an hour from Torino.
slinky wizard 19 Nov 2012
In reply to slinky wizard: Thanks again for all replys
 Kean 19 Nov 2012
In reply to goldmember:
> (In reply to kean) thats seems so cheap! where is the nearest airport pal?

Ryanair to Treviso. Car hire a must. Then under 2 hours to the ski area. It is mind-bogglingly cheap. But I must stress, there is naff all at Passo Brocon in the evenings apart from the modest hotel you stay in. That really is the catch...
 anaesthetic 19 Nov 2012
Livigno: cheap, snow-sure, good beginner & intermediate slopes. Only downside is potentially long transfer if you fly into Milan Bergamo. Better coming from zurich maybe?
Willie Munro 20 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper: Sella Ronda would get my vote. A huge area of blue runs above Corvara and various resorts although need to be able to do an easy red to get back to some villages. Arabba, Corvara, Sella are resprts worth looking at.
 thermal_t 20 Nov 2012
In reply to John Ww:
> (In reply to slinky wizard)
>
> Livigno?

Seconded. The longer transfer is still worthwhile though.
 Warner 20 Nov 2012
In reply to thermal_t:
I agree and the area is VAT free and you have a wonderful natural spa in Bormio, 40minutes drive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...