UKC

Working and climbing in Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Schnell 19 Nov 2012
I don't know if this topic has come up loads of times, anyway searching has come to naught...

I'm planning to start a postgrad course in Spanish translation next Sept/Oct and before that I want to spend as much time as possible in Spain to improve my Spanish. Where do I go that I can work enough to support myself (or volunteer somewhere in exchange for bed and board) where I can also go climbing as much as possible? Presumably I wouldn't get winter and summer in the same place, but a few months in one spot from January one would be a great start. Any ideas?

If all else fails I can try an English teaching job, but that means working in one of the cities and therefore not getting climbing as much as I'd like. Ideally I'd find a climbing oriented business/campsite/guesthouse or whatever that needs staff and where I could find climbing partners too.
 biscuit 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell:

Olive Branch ( El Chorro ) and Orange House ( Costa Blanca ) both do some sort of a deal where you do a few hours work for them and you get a discount/free accomm. Not sure on the details of the deals they do but worth looking into.
Schnell 20 Nov 2012
Cheers for the suggestions, I'm not sure how much Spanish I'd get to practise in either but I'm looking into both. In case anyone else is interested apparently Finca la Campana in El Chorro do a similar deal.
 JanBella 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell: i can't really help with your question, sorry, but is there similar place as the orange house anywhere in the Catalunya? thank you
Schnell 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell: Haven't got very far with this, orange branch full and other places not replying. Any other suggestions?

Otherwise if people were going to teach English and live in a Spanish city, where would they choose for best access to climbing? Unfortunately xcluding Catalunya for language reasons...
 CharlieW 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell:

Maybe try WWOOFing?

http://ruralvolunteers.org/WHOSTS/
 Hillseeker 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell:

I'm in Tarragona teaching English. Don't write off Catalunya as people are bi-lingual with Castillian and Catalan (although Catalan is probably what you'll hear most in the street).
Only trouble is the teaching - gets in the way of climbing! If you want to climb more then trying to get a job in a bunkhouse etc is probably a better idea.
Good luck!
 Sam Mayfield 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell:

Hi not sure if you did email me at The Orange House (not Orange Branch! lol).

We are still taking people on from Jan onwards, but you are right you would not get much practice at speaking Spanish although my eldest son doesnt speak much English as all his friends are Spanish.

The added problem in our area is that alot of the locals speak Valencian.

Your best bet might be to email some of the Spanish ran refugio, such as El Atico in Chulila and the one in Montenejos.

Good Luck

Sam Orange
 Foolow Mike 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell:
You'd be better off living in a Spanish speaking environment. Why not try one of the mountain huts? The Poqueira Refuge is open 365 days a year:
http://refugiopoqueira.com/

Worth a try.

mike
 Dave Bond 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell:

One city that might be worth a look is Cuenca. All the benefits of a big city plus two massive gorges both starting from the old part of town. Loads to go at.
Schnell 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Schnell: Hi, thanks for all the recent suggestions, loads of good tips there. I'm going to get in touch with the refugios mentioned and see what comes of it. Cheers Sam in particular, I actually was confusing the two places I'd emailed, the Orange Branch and Finca de Campana, with yours. I'm going to look into the Spanish speaking stuff first. The language side of things is a big part of my reason/justification for going. Both Montanejos and Chulilla sound excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...