UKC

Explain This 'Ghost' In A Pub.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fluvial 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

I had a mate at Uni who used to spill his pint and say he'd drunk it.
 Postmanpat 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

Gets the punters in for the £30 ghost hunting carvery dinners......
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Postmanpat:

Yes, it would, but...how do you know?

If it wasn't a trick, how else might it happen? The pub goers seem genuine enough in thier body language and pointing at the pint.

Indulge me here. ()

Brrr!
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Postmanpat:

Are you thinking of something electrical, like a motor with wheels attached to the bottom of the pint, or something mechanical, or something else which is practical and possible to do?
Kipper 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

It was looking OK until I read this -

'Lyn Cinderey from the Gloucester Active Paranormal Society (GAPS) was in the bar at the time of the 'moving pint' incident...'
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Kipper:Granted, but how could it be made to happen?
 Dauphin 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

Varnish. Spilled beer.

D
 Postmanpat 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>
> Are you thinking of something electrical, like a motor with wheels attached to the bottom of the pint, or something mechanical, or something else which is practical and possible to do?

No idea but the moving pint was two years ago. Odd the "ghost" hasn't done much since.
About time he pulled a new trick methinks...
 Dauphin 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Dauphin:

Gloucester Active Paranormal Society.

How do they investigate nothing?

D
 birdie num num 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Kipper)Granted, but how could it be made to happen?

Strong thread would be Num Num's method. The pint didn't move on it's own.

OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Postmanpat:Perhaps s/he got bored? ()

With varnish and spilled beer, there'd still have to be some force being applied to the glass to make it slide.
 Red Rover 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd: Which is more rational out of the following:

There was a thin film of beer on a slightly sloping table which caused the pint to slip. Although it looks like a sudded slip off the table, the footage is sped up (watch the people sat filling in the forms really quickly) which makes it look more ghost like.

The video is somehow faked, perhaps the ghost spotter being present had something to do with it.

Or, that a dead person has come back to life but is now invisible and for some reason wants to go spilling pints.
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> Strong thread would be Num Num's method. The pint didn't move on it's own.

Pulled by what?
 Duncan Bourne 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:
Well hard to be sure from the video which, in the tradition of all ghostly videos, is blurry and not exactly close up (CCTV) but one explanation, given the wobble on the table demonstrated later, is that the pint was put on a "pool" of beer or other wet spot creating an area of low friction, plus just enough of a slight tilt to create a slide allowing the pint to slowly slip to the edge of the table.
This has happened to me on the odd occasion.
Jim C 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> It was looking OK until I read this -
>
> 'Lyn Cinderey from the Gloucester Active Paranormal Society (GAPS) was in the bar at the time of the 'moving pint' incident...'

I need these guys at my place, hardly a day goes by without keys going missing in my 1903 home.( just as was reported in this article)
I never gave it a thought before, but now I realise we must have been haunted all these years, and it seems to get worse the longer I live here( and the older I get)

In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to birdie num num)
> [...]
>
> Pulled by what?

A human hand. Any way, crap quiz, there's no-one there
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)Perhaps s/he got bored? ()
>
> With varnish and spilled beer, there'd still have to be some force being applied to the glass to make it slide.

gravity
 balmybaldwin 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

It might not have been "made" to happen.

Wet pint on a smooth table that is at an imperceptible angle + Pint glass not entirely flat bottomed results in air trapped under the glass and a virtually fiction free slide on the slightly tilting table until it comes to the edge, then falls off.

I would suspect the landlord had seen this before with this pint glass/ table and set it up - this could easily be the first time this has happened, but the presence of susceptible witnesses, and a convenient camera suggest this wasn't the first time and was in some way staged
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> Well hard to be sure from the video which, in the tradition of all ghostly videos, is blurry and not exactly close up (CCTV) but one explanation, given the wobble on the table demonstrated later, is that the pint was put on a "pool" of beer or other wet spot creating an area of low friction, plus just enough of a slight tilt to create a slide allowing the pint to slowly slip to the edge of the table.
> This has happened to me on the odd occasion.

Interesting, it's never happened to me. I find myself wanting to go down there now and sit and watch a pint of beer in a pool on different parts of the table to see what happens.
 jkarran 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

> Granted, but how could it be made to happen?

Smooth sloping table, lubricating film of spilled beer and a trapped bubble plus bit of vibration from the floor as he walks away. Significantly more plausible than a pint-spilling ghost.

jk
In reply to balmybaldwin:
The really weird bit is a full pint of beer slides of a table and then the glass is picked up and put back on the table apparently UNBROKEN! Spooky that unless someone set it up with a plastic glass.
In reply to Timmd:
Seriously I once ended up with a pint in my lap that way.
Clauso 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

Never the so-called 'ghost'; that was one of the most enjoyable games of Where's Wally that I've ever played.
In reply to Timmd:
Num Num occasionally tries to move stuff by intense mind telepathy. His only success was a leaf in the garden, after ten minutes of concentrated glaring, the leaf fluttered, almost as if a little gust of wind had taken it. Num Num has never had any success in getting folks pints of beer to slide across to his own table.
 dek 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Clauso:
Must've been as pint o heavy?
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> Seriously I once ended up with a pint in my lap that way.

I believe you, I was messing with posting 'Brrr!', I posted a little ambigously on purpose I think. I wondered what people thought.

There being a pint there already would have provided the liquid for the second pint to slide upon.

Milesy 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> If it wasn't a trick, how else might it happen? The pub goers seem genuine enough in thier body language and pointing at the pint.

That's what makes me thing it is a con. I have seen plenty of pints fall in pubs and never ran up pointing at it. People leave pints on wet sloping tables or on edges of tables and then fall off.
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:I really do want to go and try it you know, it's started taking root in my mind as a bit of an obsession.
In reply to Timmd:
It would make a great "Mythbusters" you could try sliding pints on different surfaces and liquids to see what worked best
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:Exactly, or try and spook your friends out of thier skins. ()

gcandlin 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd: If you look at the man on the right sat down opposite the table, fractionally before the pint goes, his arm moves down sharply, might just be coincidence....
 Rubbishy 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

liquid under pint glass, table on a bit of a slope, handily placed camera, publican inches away from insolvency......

Next up is a turd with the face of the baby Jeebus in sweetcorn on it and a dog that can say "imshallah".
OP Timmd 19 Nov 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Timmd)

> Next up is a turd with the face of the baby Jeebus in sweetcorn on it and a dog that can say "imshallah".

Was perturbed to read about a fish speaking in tounges in New York not long after 9/11, as my dad put it 'People have gone mad'. Have learnt a little bit more about physics.
 Rubbishy 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

Exactly, we all know fish speak with a Geordie accent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...