UKC

Music to run to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 20 Nov 2012
Trying to run about 3 times a week now in readiness for next years LDWA 100 and have noticed something a bit odd...

The ipod seems to cure all pain/tiredness even when plodding across endless bogs on Dartmoor, however the odd thing is that I seem to run faster to music I dont actually listen to normally. For example (takes big risk here..) its exactly the length of Abba's Greatest Hits plus one Aretha Franklyn track from Hexworthy to Princetown via a loop out to the south and Nuns Cross. I seem to be getting faster the more I listen to Abba...the odd thing is that other stuff I normally listen to in the car makes me run slower....is this normal....????

A slightly more serious question I suppose is what stuff do others find make them run faster?
deleted user 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44: Brilliant! I like to run without headphones but sometimes its nice to stick some M83 on really gets me going. I dont know if I could share the same enthusiasm about Abba though, what ever works for you I suppose!
 Toby_W 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44: I volunteered for a recovery study part of which involved a 4k time trial on a watt bike. I had the fastest time of 4.18 but was beaten by another guy who had music on (4.15). I insisted I got a go with music for fun and choose Mona lisa overdrive (Matrix motorway bike chase) and did 4.13 for the 4k.

The sad thing for the other guy was because it can make such a difference he then had to listen to the same track of music for all further tests in the study so as not to upset the results too much.

Cheers

Toby
 Fredt 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44:

I have half a dozen 'get you home' tracks, for those emergencies when you've had it.

Madison Blues - George Thoroughgood
Union Square - Tom Waits
Cajun Woman - Fairport Convention
That's not My Name - Ting Tings
Going Up Country - Canned Heat
Country Girl - Primal Scream
OP Wainers44 20 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:
> (In reply to Wainers44) Brilliant! I like to run without headphones but sometimes its nice to stick some M83 on really gets me going. I dont know if I could share the same enthusiasm about Abba though, what ever works for you I suppose!

No I dont understand the Abba thing either??!!

Radiohead No Surprises makes me feel more at home sinking into the bogs up to my neck (!)
 hydraulicwave 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44: Try Chemical Brothers - Don't Think. I always enjoy Prodigy - Climbatize and Moby - Myopia... Great 10k stuff
 Bloodfire 21 Nov 2012
In reply to hydraulicwave: Yup, this is definitely my kinda running/get me home quick music! Rocky soundtrack also helps!
bobbybin 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby_W: The world record for 4k on the track is 4.10.534 so either your the next Chris Boardman and i suggest you contact British Cycling straight away, or as usual with gym equipment the given readings are bollocks
 Stone Idle 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44: Anything by Blondie, Eye of the Tiger etc etc. Rhythm in a musical theme you like does it I guess.
OP Wainers44 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Stone Idol: Worked on the moor again today...INXS and Pink reasonably fast on the outward leg, blasted back up the hill to Princetown by New Order, MARRS, Prodigy and Bon Jovi...I must buy some more modern stuff but I just dont run as fast....
 thedatastream 21 Nov 2012
early Orbital
LCD Soundsystem
OP Wainers44 22 Nov 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Thanks, that explains everything. Have just bought a viking helmet off fleabay for a tenner, fully expecting another PB when I run next...
 cripper 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44:
ACDC and Metallica for when you need to be pumped up and just keep going, but actually the Lord of the Rings soundtrack for phasing out and chewing up the miles in Snowdonia or Dartmoor.
OP Wainers44 27 Nov 2012
In reply to cripper:
> (In reply to Wainers44)
> ACDC and Metallica for when you need to be pumped up and just keep going, but actually the Lord of the Rings soundtrack for phasing out and chewing up the miles in Snowdonia or Dartmoor.

Lord of the Rings soundtrack sounds like a good idea, especially in this "atmospheric" weather we are having right now. Although after a run in all the rain at the weekend, the theme from Titanic might have been more appropriate! At least the ipod survived its soaking while tied up in a nappy sack.
 Al Evans 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44: You can get dangerously fast to run to music too. 'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run' is just too fast, try some Peter ,Paul and Mary. Puff the Magic Dragon is ideal for 7min/miling. As is a lot of Paul Simon.
 Null 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44:
> Trying to run about 3 times a week now in readiness for next years LDWA 100 and have noticed something a bit odd...
>
>
> For example (takes big risk here..) its exactly the length of Abba's Greatest Hits

I would run faster, too, with Abba, so that I could switch it off sooner. Mind you, I grew up under a regime of systematic Abba abuse from my parents, so perhaps I'm hyper sensitive.

OP Wainers44 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Al Evans: The running in time to the music is a strange one...like dancing with a destination...

I have no rythym so its the closest I will get to dancing in time to anything!!

Kylie (I cant get you out of my head) is the right pace for most easy hills...but then I have never known anthing that Kylie isnt perfect for

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...