UKC

Bus lane fines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climberuk 20 Nov 2012
Has anyone managed to appeal a bus lane fine and been successful?

I just got the notice through today. From what I remember I was dropping someone off and there were no parking spaces (you have to cross the bus lane to get to them anyway). So I moved into the bus lane, dropped them off then went straight back into the other lane. About 10s in the bus lane and no buses or taxis to be seen in it. I would have been in the bus lane longer if I had found a space and started parallel parking.

It all seems a bit unfair to say that I was in the bus lane so pay up and that is that given I wasn't an obstruction and was only there for a matter of seconds. Can I appeal on the basis of common sense? If I do so and they reject my appeal then i'll have to pay £60 instead of the reduced £30 for paying within 14 days.

Thanks.
Parrys_apprentice 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk:

I know lack of information is the hallmark of true internet debate, but how about you put up a link to Google streetview of the place you pulled over, then we can have a look.
 Chris Harris 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk:
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?254223-Bus-Lane-P...

According to this it seems to vary from city to city. Best to check local regs.

Owen W-G 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk:

Golden rule with all traffic/parking offenses is to Appeal, Appeal, Appeal.

If you get to the 1-to-1 tribunial there's a good chance you can win with your arguement.
In reply to climberuk:
> Can I appeal on the basis of common sense? If I do so and they reject my appeal then i'll have to pay £60 instead of the reduced £30 for paying within 14 days.

I was under the impression that if you appeal (even if ultimately you fail) the 14 days was suspended until the appeal was resolved. I could very well be wrong though...
 Neil Williams 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk:

The problem with this is that once your doors were open, could you definitely have moved off such that you stopping did not cause a bus to even slow down?

Was there the option of a side-street? (In London there almost always is).

Neil
 Wainers44 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk: My mate was going to appeal against his fine (Plymouth), but the photo they provided showed him tailgating a bus so he decided not to bother and paid...
In reply to climberuk:

Could you have not stopped on the left (single yellow and no "no loading" kerb markings, thus legal, no?) as others have done instead of in the bus lane on the right?

Neil
 existing debt 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk: In Plymouth, when you get caught, they email you a link to the video of your offence, its ace as you can re-live the moment you passed all those cars patiently waiting at the lights and got home 5 minutes early!! £30 well spent,

EeeByGum 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk: My boss got done for having the audacity to drop someone off at Victoria Station in Manchester. As you can see, it is a bus only lane although the road simply turns into a bus lane. Ironically if you accidentally turn down here and get to the bus lane, you have a choice of trying to pull a u-turn or turn into a one way road the wrong way!

http://goo.gl/maps/DDLdw
OP climberuk 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to climberuk)
>
> The problem with this is that once your doors were open, could you definitely have moved off such that you stopping did not cause a bus to even slow down?

No. But in this case there were no buses around.

>
> Was there the option of a side-street? (In London there almost always is).

No. This part of Glasgow is terrible for stopping. Of course, I could have stopped somewhere else, further away, and would have had I known i'd get a fine.

OP climberuk 20 Nov 2012

No. No parking spaces at the time.
In reply to climberuk:

No parking spaces - but loading appears not to be prohibited on the left hand "car" lane on the link you sent. (If you were actually driving the other way, I mean the right - I'm referring to the side of the road where the bus lane isn't, and loading appears not to be prohibited).

Was that left hand lane (the opposite side to the bus lane) 100% full of loading vehicles? If so I would say "bad luck", if not I would perhaps say it was the wrong judgement, cough up and you'll know for next time.

Neil
OP climberuk 20 Nov 2012

Its a one way street so you are correct when you refer to the left side being the non bus lane side.

The left side is a single yellow and parking is allowed there in the evening so it was full of cars unfortunately.
In reply to climberuk:

Ah I see. Difficult one, then.

There is an argument that bus lane enforcement should be only by cameras mounted on the front of buses, therefore anyone who obstructs one gets done, and you don't get done otherwise.

However, Councils like making money...

Neil
 MonkeyPuzzle 20 Nov 2012
In reply to climberuk:

Did you put your hazards on? Cars with hazards on are legally allowed to do what they like. Evidence? Every street in Bristol, all day, every day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...