UKC

Ropes for a climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 20 Nov 2012
Any suggestions for ropes for an indoor wall (5x20m). Normal criteria about robustness, price and durability etc.

Ideally not Beal Wallmasters!

Cheers
Grumble 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: Edelrid Tower
OP Reach>Talent 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Grumble:
Looks like it is about £3/m and not that widely available but it is a possibility.
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Anyone abused the new DMM ropes yet?
 nniff 20 Nov 2012

I got one for my birthday today

It's pretty and shiny and handles nicely. Beyond that I couldn't say.

Ever helpful, me!
Grumble 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: DMM sent us 3 ropes to trial on our walls, 2 were c**p,the other has lasted scince may and is still going srtong. unfortunatly it was a blind test so i don't know what the good one is.
In reply to Grumble:
Cheers, 2/3 sounds less than ideal. I was avoiding the wallmasters because I've seen a lot of them lasting less time than I think they should, but I don't really fancy a gamble
In reply to Reach>Talent: The local club down here went for Mammut Gym Rope for their most recent top-roping ropes a couple of years ago and seem very happy with them. Not that cheap though.

However, if you can cope with 11mm rope, I've got a drum of standard Mammut 11mm dynamic here that I'm not using up very quickly. It is about as indestructible as it comes and I could sort you out with 100metres at £1/metre plus postage (or collection at TCA).
 ElBarto 20 Nov 2012
I hope that's not true as I have one .
Simon Marsh 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Grumble:
> DMM sent us 3 ropes to trial on our walls, 2 were c**p,the other has lasted scince may and is still going srtong. unfortunatly it was a blind test so i don't know what the good one is. <

I should just clarify Grumble's post as it looks rushed and is potentially misleading.

Over the past 9 months DMM have been trialing different wall specific ropes at various climbing walls around the UK to determine the best construction to use. Thus walls were sent 3 different samples of pre-production rope for evaluation in different scenarios - mainly intensive top roping in a variety of systems.

We have used the feedback to tweak the rope prior to it being produced - we are expecting the first delivery in early January.

Thus Grumble is not talking about any of the current range of DMM ropes.

I have emailed Grumble asking for clarification.

Regards

Simon Marsh

DMM International
In reply to Simon Marsh:
Cheers for the clarification and email. I'll be in touch as soon as I get to a pc.

Ian Dunn 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: I always found the Beal Wallmaster to be the most durable of all the ropes we used at Climb Rochdale over 8 years, especially the green ones which always out lived the purple!
 Scott K 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent: My daughter won a DMM shorty in April and we have used it 3-4 times a week since then. All use has been at the wall and although it is showing signs of wear on the sheath, it is still handling well. It has lasted longer than I thought and I would happily buy another as it has saved my other ropes from getting trashed.
OP Reach>Talent 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Ian Dunn:
Hi Ian, I've spoken to quite a few people who've purchased Wallmasters recently that are having issues with their rate of wear. I've seen quite a few develop lumpy feeling cores after a short period of top-roping. We've got old wallmasters that have lasted very well but as it is a small wall and a significant part of the budget I don't really want to take a gamble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...