UKC

Grivel G12 Crampons - Nuts and Bolts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xplorer 21 Nov 2012
Maybe be obvious????

But what are the set of nuts and bolts used for that come with the crampons. Running Repairs????
 Cameron94 21 Nov 2012
In reply to xplorer: If you choose not to use the spring loaded pin for fast adjustments you can use the bolt.
 Nick_Scots 21 Nov 2012
Same as G10s. Beware though, I lost one bolt climbing/stepping on a rocky butress, it sheared off. Although they have nylocks, best to put loctite on too.
OP xplorer 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr:

How do you get the adjustable spring out to replace with the nut and bolt.

Any pictures?
 Cameron94 21 Nov 2012
In reply to xplorer: Take the back section of the crampon off the joining bar then simply lift the entire sping clip (not just the top half but all of the clip) and it should pop out with a wiggle quite easily.
 shantaram 21 Nov 2012
In reply to xplorer: I would recommend using the nut and bolt to fix your crampon together rather than the spring clip. The spring clip can be prone to coming off.
 butteredfrog 22 Nov 2012
In reply to shantaram:

Really? Never had a problem with mine in 5+ years, used for everythng as well!
 TobyA 22 Nov 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:

> Really? Never had a problem with mine in 5+ years, used for everythng as well!

I think it saves a few grams as well, which if your of to K2 or something might be helpful. My spring adjusters are a bit knackered now but my G12s are over 10 years old.
 JohnnyW 22 Nov 2012
> (In reply to shantaram)
>
> Really? Never had a problem with mine in 5+ years, used for everythng as well!

Yeah, me neither - I have had a bar fracture and had to replace it, but you'd be doing that bolt or no. As I'm always going from boot to boot, I wouldn't want to bolt 'em.
OP xplorer 22 Nov 2012
In reply to xplorer:

Sussed it!

For some reason I thought it had something to do with the heel clamp.

Thanks for the replies
 petestack 22 Nov 2012

Yes, really...
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=339864

!

Ron Walker 22 Nov 2012
In reply to petestack:

Still not had a problem with my own or clients crampons so must be something to do with what folk are doing with the new antobots on the link bar!
 Cameron94 22 Nov 2012
In reply to xplorer: It says on the "instruction" sheet for the acordians which fit onto the regulation bar that the lip of the tube needs to cover the head of the clip.

Acording to grivel it's very rare but does happen.
 butteredfrog 22 Nov 2012
In reply to petestack:

Not seen that thread before, will be having a good inspection of mine in the morning now!

Cheers Adam
 CurlyStevo 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94:
I don't use the acodrian. I've never had a crampon come apart and looking at the fit on my boots I can't see how it would do (unless I hadn't cleared the snow properly from the soles before putting them on). The cleats of my boot firmly hold the spring down and cover the pin part of the spring well too.
 Cameron94 23 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I think what grivel ment by it was that if you have the acordian on without the lip over the clip snow could build between the tube and the pin possibly opening it.
So you wouldn't have any issues without the acordian or with it on if the lip is over the pin clip. Chances are so slim of snow opening the clip that even without the acordian fitted properly I doubt anything would happen.
 Ron Walker 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94:
I've seen clients adjust crampons with the adjustment clip over the accordion. I have had clients force the spring-clip open, deforming the clip so that it wouldn't fit as securely. One client managed to break an ice axe and helmet adjustment straps as well as the crampons!!!

Twice I've seen the new crampons fall apart. Once top-roping an ice climb in France with a French Guide and once on a Scottish Winter course. In both cases they were novices who hadn't adjusted their crampons properly.

On more recent crampons supplied with the accordions I've never fitted the accordion onto the adjustment bar as it makes shortening the crampon when packing into a crampon bag more difficult. It's also more of a hassle to adjust dozens of hire crampons or swap them between different sized boots.

IMHO I don't see the accordions making that much more of a difference for anti snow balling, so the additional hassle outweighs any benefit.
In my experience the clips never failed prior to the accordion being supplied and it is only since they've been supplied as standard that some problems have come to light.

If it makes folk feel safer by fitting the nuts and bolt then why not do so.
I'm still happy to use the spring-clip on my own personal crampons as I swap between several different pairs of boots, but without the accordions which I don't like.

Cheers Ron
 Ron Walker 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

I did a wee video showing how a wrongly fitted accordeon antibot could cause the spring clip pin to pop out of the adjustment bar youtube.com/watch?v=R0tASrCgLOs&

I hope this makes it clear what to avoid...!

Cheers Ron
 petestack 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Ron Walker:

Interesting, Ron... but I'm certain I didn't make that mistake! So still don't know why mine failed, although I can see why you don't like the accordeons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...