UKC

Carrera Mountain Bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 22 Nov 2012
What do people think about Carrera MB's.

I've been scouring ebay for a second hand disk brake MB, ideally the usual wellknow quality makes - Spec, Trek, GT etc, and Carreras crop up a lot, but often a little cheaper.
So Is it brand snobbery, or are they crap.

Cheers
 Mikkel 22 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty:

its all down to what components is on them
Some of the Carrera bikes have been (from new) amazing good value for money and done well n various reviews.
 Alex@home 22 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty:

i've had one for nearly 2 years. hardtail with rockshox forks, shimano hydraulic discs and shimano shifters etc. cost about £340 iirc.

granted it's not the lightest frame ever but at the price it was an absolute steal

just don't ask anyone in halfords to do any set up / maintenance for you - yes of course i want my front forks on the wrong way round...
 Peakpdr 22 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty:

I have a Banshee XXX .. Bloody brilliant bike, good all round machine, a tad heavy for some but thats just because there so bloody solid. Fantastic trails bike.
 jules699 22 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty: GT all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AndyBeach 23 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty:

Mate has a Banshee, he likes it, seems OK
 LastBoyScout 23 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty:

They do tend to score pretty well in the reviews and I think you're right about the brand snobbery, as they're lumped in with kids bikes that get thrashed to school and back.

I've recommended them in the past to a few people and if you can get over the image and weight, I think they're actually pretty good as a springboard to a better bike.

They used to be made for Halfords by Saracen, but I think that changed some years ago - correct me if I'm wrong.
 bigdrew 23 Nov 2012
In reply to LastBoyScout: It use to be Merida. They may have supplied Saracen's frames as well.

Not sure if it is still them, but it certainly was when I worked there (3 years go)
 bigdrew 23 Nov 2012
In reply to bigdrew: And to add, yeah they are great value for money, along with the Boardman bikes that Halfords now do.

The quality majorly depended on the store it was brought from though, it might need properly setting up.
 Andrew Lodge 23 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty: The Carrera Fury seems to do very well in reviews of £50 ish bikes, especially the one with the white frame a couple of years ago as it had an Epicon fork which the later ones don't have.
You should pick one up for a good price I would think.

I have one and for the money it is spot on.
OP JamButty 30 Nov 2012
In reply to JamButty: Thanks for comments, I ended up with a GT for a good price...broken front shifter but once thats sorted I'll be flying...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...