UKC

Christmas on Your Own in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 22 Nov 2012
What would you do if you were stopping in London over Christmas Day and Boxing Day?
Wonko The Sane 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I'd have dinner with my 'mum'.
OP Yanis Nayu 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: You wouldn't be on your own then!
Wiley Coyote2 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
Giggle for two solid days about all the poor sods cooped up with relatives they can't stand and hyperactive kids, you lucky so and so
In reply to Wiley Coyote: I'm not the lucky one, but I know what you mean...
Wonko The Sane 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I'm trying to think of a serious answer. The only two I can come up with are;
(1) Where are they from? Generally, Ausies, south Africans etc tend to have christmas bashes, so going to appropriate traveller's pub.
(2) Do some voluntary work. Plenty of homeless shelters etc over christmas.

Tall Clare 22 Nov 2012

I might be tempted to go to Westminster Abbey or St Paul's, just for the spectacle of it.
In reply to Wonko The Sane: She's Russian. Booked three weeks in the UK and is now wondering what to do over the 2 days everything is closed.
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
>
> I might be tempted to go to Westminster Abbey or St Paul's, just for the spectacle of it.

Cheers)
 Tall Clare 22 Nov 2012

London Zoo is open on boxing day! http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/visit/opening-times,117,AR.html I imagine it'd be a good day to see the animals as it'd be likely to be quiet.

(Zoo fan here)
In reply to Tall Clare: Just found this, which mentions some previous suggestions:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/25-alternative-ways-to-sp...
 Tall Clare 22 Nov 2012

A Dickens walk might be an interesting way to see London.
 Brass Nipples 22 Nov 2012

Probably be really quiet (apart fromOxford Street). So I'd get on a boris bike and go for a tootle round the sites
 Tom Last 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thats a brilliant idea and something I've done in the past. I think I went on the 27th/28th maybe, it snowed heavily and there were only about a dozen people in there. I'm a Londoner and it was probably the most magical day out I've had in London.

Also you can go and get leathered in Camden afterwards if you like
 Dauphin 22 Nov 2012

Christmas day on your own in a big foreign city. Close to the worse day possible. I'm going to be in southern Europe, but they could of come around here if I was going to be about.

d
In reply to Submit to Gravity: I have been Ice skating outside the natural history museum on boxing day which was pretty cool. but if from russia then this is probably pretty pathetic.
Talius Brute 22 Nov 2012

Walking around central London on Christmas morning is amazing. You have the whole place to yourself, it is quite eerie and well worth doing.
 Neil Williams 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Talius Brute:

Not done that, but I did go down one day a few years ago to work when practically nobody else did because of the snow. Many of the trains were off, buses were off and hardly any of the Tube was running. My train was fine, not even late, and it was only after arrival that I found out London was under about 8 inches of snow.

It was a brilliant day, surreal but really enjoyable.

Neil
I think The Castle is open on boxing day - might be worth checking.
I'm sure someone on here could invite you round on Xmas day. Unfortunately we're away then...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...