UKC

Trad in the south west

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hey there guys i want to take my girlfriend climbing over christmas (weather permitting) i'll be in the south west which is not my normal area of climbing, i was just wondering what crags would be good with mostly VS and below climbs
 Cheese Monkey 22 Nov 2012
In reply to NateDangerJones: SW is a huge area... Dewerstone, Bosigran, Sennen, Trewavas on the Granite?
In reply to Cheese Monkey: yeah fair point, so i guess i am looking mostly in the somerset area
 Kemics 22 Nov 2012
In reply to NateDangerJones:

tha's practically up north
In reply to Kemics: lol well i'm in the scottish borders at the moment so not for me :P
In reply to NateDangerJones: Somerset is a bit flat. You need to pick a direction, drive, and you will find good low grade crags. Nearest I can think of, Swanage, Cheddar/Avon, Haytor, N Devon slabs
 deepstar 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:
> (In reply to NateDangerJones) Somerset is a bit flat.

Hang on a minute,The Mendips,The Quantocks,Brendons,Blackdowns,Poldens.Yes really flat a bit like Norfolk I suppose.
In reply to deepstar: Sorry, I meant the majority of Somerset is a bit flat lol
In reply to NateDangerJones: Assuming she'll appreciate some sunshine if any's about then Goblin Combe has a dozen or so worthwhile routes in the HS-VS range, but not much of note below that. For easier stuff with sun then Sea Walls at Avon for some Vdiffs and severes. Cheddar's a dreary wind-tunnel, so forget that. If you're further south in Somerset then forget the trad and drive down to Portland for sport.
 deepstar 23 Nov 2012
In reply to NateDangerJones: Don`t forget Fairy Cave Quarry,Portishead Quarry,Sandford Quarry and Croscombe Crags.Plenty to keep you occupied.
 Owen W-G 23 Nov 2012
In reply to NateDangerJones:

Baggy Point if the weather is good?
 Kemics 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:

but you could probably get to the peak in similar time

I actually think goblin coombe is possibly the most underrated crag in the southwest. For whatever reason the FA's were really stingey with the stars, some of the 1/no star routes would be worth 2 or 3 if they were routes in avon gorge.
 dale1968 23 Nov 2012
In reply to NateDangerJones: chudleigh is good in cold weather, ham hill for top roping
 Motown 27 Nov 2012
In reply to NateDangerJones: Chudleigh and Dewerstone for shelter. Is your girlfriend a confident second? It's a bit further, but Vicarage Cliff near Bude offers really good climbing if this is the case. Straight routes, good gear and good belays with option for top-rope.
In reply to NateDangerJones: thanks everyone really useful stuff, just gotta hope for good weather now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...