UKC

Canon (G10) Repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Solaris 24 Nov 2012
I need to send my G10 off for repair and have done a search on here but there doesn't seem to be anything that answers my questions. I'm sure the problem is electronic - probably a result of the camera's getting too damp and not being dried carefully. (This is my first digital: live and learn.)

The Canon website lists several firms that are authorised to carry out repairs (http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.asp... so I was wondering whether any Canon (G10) users have experience of any of them and could make a recommendation, please?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest any good quality, reliable independent repairers out there? Thanks.
 Mike-W-99 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Solaris:
I used A.J.Johnstone for a warranty repair a few years ago who seemed fine.
 Alex Slipchuk 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Solaris: within the canon g series there are two screws that can come detached as not sealed. Easy way to tell is to give it a wee shake and you'll hear them rattle. This happened to my g9 and caused a short circuit. After checking the web I found this was a common fault and thus canon repaired for free.
Removed User 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> (In reply to Solaris)
> I used A.J.Johnstone for a warranty repair a few years ago who seemed fine.

I''ve used them several times over the years and always had good service.
 mikemartin 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Solaris:

In contrast to what the other's said I would not reccommend aj johnstone. I phoned them every week for 3 months, I was told every time that my camera would be ready next week, then they sent me a revised estimate after 3 months that was more than I could buy a new camera for. Their communication and level of service was absolutely shocking, I accept that my camera had sustained more damage than they originally thought but to take 3 months to decide this with no communication from them unless prompted by me. I had to phone them every time, they routinely failed to phone me back when requested or even when they said they would and I was routinely made to feel like I was a nuisance. Absolutely terrible service. They still have my camera for all I know. I just bought a new one.
OP Solaris 25 Nov 2012
In reply to all:

Thanks to all for advice and opinions. Anyone else?
grippet 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Solaris:

The viewer went blank on my G12. Evidently this is not unusual with this camera. I sent it to www.1staidrepairs.co.uk. They serviced it and soldered a cracked CCD connector. Reasonable cost and good service.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...