UKC

Any tips?: Winter boots for crampons/skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paulpitcher 25 Nov 2012
Hey does anyone know how to solve the problem of attaching my winter mountaineering boots (Scarpa Manta) to a pair of skis? are there special bindings out there? Or do I have to
a) Hike two pairs of boots up the mountain
b) Do my mountaineering in ski boots...
 HarryB 25 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher:

b) will probs be your best bet, skiing in B3s isnt much fun however silvretta 404/500/505 bindings will take them
 DaveHK 25 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher:
> > b) Do my mountaineering in ski boots...

This.

See the multitude of previous threads on the subject of footwear for ski mountaineering.

duntelchaig midge 25 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher:

As Dave said... However, are we talking about a downhill ski set up here or do you have a touring set up? If it's the former you could look at:
http://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/trekker/

However, they are designed to convert a downhill set up (boot and binding) to small amounts of touring. They are a poor substituion to the real thing so adding a walking/climbing boot into the equation could be quite nasty (the ride is very high comparison to a proper set up so I really don't fancy it).

I'd say option b is prob best though there are many others on here with much more experience than I to answer this
 davy_boy 25 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher: scarpa mantas on skis is this a wind up ?
In reply to paulpitcher:
> b) Do my mountaineering in ski boots...

Yes.

For steep alpine snow/ice routes, ski mountaineering boots are actually pretty good. In fact, for some, they are actually the footwear of choice for continually steep routes like those on the North Face of the Doites as they provide masses of ankle support.

I hired some skis for the approach when I did the Chere Couloir on Mont Blanc du Tacul one year and I had no problems at all ice climbing in a pair of Scarpa Denali.
 AdrianC 25 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher: Climbing ice in ski touring boots is fine. They're noticeably clunky on moderate terrain or mixed ground - anywhere where you need to roll your ankles. But it's a better option than skiing in climbing boots.
OP paulpitcher 26 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher: Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm more looking for Scottish winter walking then at the summit ski back down. Definitely wouldnt describe it as ski touring! does that make a difference?
 Doug 27 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher:
> (In reply to paulpitcher) for Scottish winter walking then at the summit ski back down. Definitely wouldnt describe it as ski touring! does that make a difference?

Sounds like ski touring to me

The bindings on these (http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Snow-Equipm... might be OK, don't know if they are sold separately. Thought Salewa or similar made bindings that took snow board boots but couldn't find tham in a quick search, did find these though - http://madshus.com/skis/snow-pup-ski-1213

Cuthbert 27 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher:

In that case just walk.
 Si 27 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher:

I climb in my ski touring boots in the Alps in winter. To be honest I find them quite useable particularly on ice but walking downhill in crampons can sometimes be a pain. A friend in Cham (Jon Griffith) skis and climbs in Spantiks. He had written an article on here somewhere about it. Hard mixed would probably be easier but as I not a mega hard climber I have yet to really try skiing in my Spantiks. I suspect Mantas would not be very good for a few reasons; firstly warmth both skiing and climbing and secondly stiffness. I once climbed Scottish tech 6 in my Mantas but I wouldn't imagine they would be anything less than an ankle or knee injury on waiting on skis (neither releasing very well nor providing sufficient support to ski well). Invest in decent fitted ski touring boots and it will be better for both sports!

P.S. don't waste your money on Silveretta binding either get Fritschi or Marker if you aren't much of a skier or Dynafit if you are!
 Frank4short 27 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher:
> (In reply to paulpitcher) Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm more looking for Scottish winter walking then at the summit ski back down. Definitely wouldnt describe it as ski touring! does that make a difference?

Buy a pair of cheap snowblades. Anything else is probably a waste of your time and likely to break your ankles.
 beardy mike 27 Nov 2012
In reply to paulpitcher: what you just described is what's known in the trade as ski touring. Unless you are a very decent skier, and have just the right bindings, I.e. a certain type of ski touring binding, then its a no go. Get yourself some proper ski mountaineering boots and be done with it, you won't regret it...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...