UKC

Cairngorms for tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnie3430 25 Nov 2012
Anyone out in the Northern Corries today and know if it's worth a look?
 James Edwards 25 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: yes; most routes have reasonable early season conditions at the moment. There are mixed buttress routes to do at the moment.
James
 Andy Nisbet 25 Nov 2012
In reply to James Edwards:

James,

Were you actually out today? And was any turf frozen?
 Lone Rider 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet: Naw he was at home washin' the babies nappies!
 Jamie B 25 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

I'm going for a look tomorrow - will post back.
 Michael Gordon 25 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

The turf was definitely NOT frozen on saturday (nor were the crags very white though this could well have changed by now). Yeah could be worth a look for something non-turfy though.
OP jonnie3430 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to James Edwards)
>
> James,
>
> Were you actually out today? And was any turf frozen?

You have doubts?

See you there Jamie.
 Jamie B 25 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

I have doubts - any turf on the West has been soggy mush last couple of days. Remains to be seen if the East is any better!
OP jonnie3430 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Apparently it's -3 on Cairngorm at the mo and a few cm of snow fell today...
 Ron Walker 25 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
It was actually lot colder and the ground more frozen yesterday compared today!!
In reply to Andy Nisbet: yes in lochain. Turf was good ( what little there was). It snowed gently all day amounting to a couple of inches.
James
In reply to Lone Rider:
P.s. roger I thought that you had emigrated; has your mobile number chang. I was hoping to go back to that corner we tried when the conditions are good in a few weeks if you are still interested?
James
 michael83 26 Nov 2012
Went for a walk round the norries on saturday, ground was frozen, but the buttresses weren't white enough for my tastes. The corries were enveloped in cloud on Sunday so couldn't see when i left Aviemore but if the lower temps held i think conditions would be better. It was snowing quite a lot as i drove over the lecht, so freezing level should have been low enough.
 Jamie B 26 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Did the Seam in Sneachda today. Turf was variable and on a less rocky route might have been a deal-breaker. Lots of powder needing cleared and some iced cracks - not vintage conditions!
OP jonnie3430 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

We went up Honeypot on Mess of Pottage, there was a fair amount of powder and some verglass which lead to a great day out.

Cloud was down so maps had to be used to find the crag, we weren't the only ones with dramas as some footsteps headed well off to the north and we kept hearing "for pete's sake," and "come on guy's," being shouted as some others looked for the crag....
 Wilf2 27 Nov 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: Out on Central Crack Route in Coire an Lochain yesterday. Turf well frozen on the route. No build up at the start, so harder than the guidebook grade for first few moves. Photo on the ClimbNow blog.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...