UKC

Seriously scary job

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Davies 26 Nov 2012
I'm really not sure which forum this bit of film belongs in, but here goes...

youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI&

Any of you young guys fancy an outdoor job with plenty of fresh air? Like rope access work but without the ropes: it certainly looks more exciting than cleaning windows.

Incidentally, I don't understand why they don't adopt a less cumbersome method of carrying tools than towing it behind them on 30' of line. I bet they feel really hacked off if they drop the screwdriver they need.

If someone has posted this in the past, I missed it.
 pog100 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:
>
> If someone has posted this in the past, I missed it.

You are joking aren't you? This is one of two Rickrollers of the online climbing world, and I just clicked on it!

Clauso 26 Nov 2012
In reply to pog100:

youtube.com/watch?v=8e0yXMa708Y&

... Go on. You know that you want to.
OP Rob Davies 26 Nov 2012
In reply to pog100: What's a "Rickroller"? Seriously, I have no idea what you are talking about.
 Run_Ross_Run 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:

Slight tangent but worth a post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0Cazxj_yc&feature=related
In reply to Darren09:

Well worth 5 minutes of anybody's time.
Seen it before, but love the new top comment:

I CAN DO ALL THAT. HOLD MY BEER.

cap'nChino 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling

That tower video and the Dan 'The Spiderman' osman videos are frequently used as a light hearted troll. They are UKC's Rick Astley.
cap'nChino 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Darren09: Nice video, seen it a few times. But a few of them are faked, the water walking being a prime example.
 Run_Ross_Run 26 Nov 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

Yeah, I did wonder about that one.
 moo 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:

I'm pretty sure these guys have been denounced by SPRAT ( US irata equivalent ) as being cowboys. This is certainly not the way to be going about work at height.
 MJ 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Clauso:

... Go on. You know that you want to.

Dan Bustered!
fxceltic 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies: seen this numerous times, still makes me feel a bit sick watching it.
In reply to Just Another Dave: I prefer the one from a week ago. "Let me try dat, hold my bear".
 andyb211 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Darren09:
> (In reply to Rob Davies)
>
> Slight tangent but worth a post
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0Cazxj_yc&feature=related

But who is the girl in the black one piece at 4 minutes, I'm in lust!
 Brass Nipples 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:

This is what he means

http://tinyurl.com/bv4a8uv
OP Rob Davies 28 Nov 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:Thanks. It would probably help if I knew who Rick Astley is. Makes me feel like the judge who didn't know what a Gazza was.
 pog100 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:
A pop star of the 80s, pretty big, though I can see why you might have missed him, given that you are my age.
estivoautumnal 28 Nov 2012
In reply to moo:
> (In reply to Rob Davies)
>
> I'm pretty sure these guys have been denounced by SPRAT ( US irata equivalent ) as being cowboys. This is certainly not the way to be going about work at height.

It certainly isn't!

OP Rob Davies 29 Nov 2012
In reply to estivoautumnal: But I bet those killjoys wouldn't have approved of Fred Dibnah.
 deepsoup 29 Nov 2012
In reply to estivoautumnal:
That's nothing. I once saw someone solo a big multi-pitch mod. Dangerous lunatic, ought to be locked up!
OP Rob Davies 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies: I should have included a link to a clip of Fred doing his thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg&

"One mistake and it's half-a-day out with the undertaker". Surely the greatest ever professional Northerner.

How do the ladders get up there?

youtube.com/watch?v=F04dGK1_wYA&
youtube.com/watch?v=E-a27xwcLfU&
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:

I find it odd that anyone would post a vid on a rock climbing and mountaineering site of someone climbing a ladder and describe it as scary!

Chris
 Dave 88 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I was thinking that. Surely ideal climbers job.
 muppetfilter 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: You have obviously never laddered an overhanging cooling tower.... The ladder lashed on at the bottom standing on the top two rungs with a hilti drill putting in an eye bolt with a 20ft fall onto a shunt
 sammy5000 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: i used to do this for a job around 18 years ago and believe you me on a freezing cold windy day when the tower is swaying with gloves steel toe capped boots a bag full of various bits of metal swinging beneath you not actually attached to anything it does feel like soloing a pumpy E2 off balance and it is scary, because you aint going to just brake your ankles
OP Rob Davies 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Really? It makes using the walkway in El Chorro gorge look like a stroll along the beach, and even some climbers get freaked out by the walkway

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:
> Really? It makes using the walkway in El Chorro gorge look like a stroll along the beach, and even some climbers get freaked out by the walkway

Yeah - but their not 'real' climbers are they!

Chris

OP Rob Davies 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: I freely and openly admit to not being a "real" climber. I've just been faking it (not too successfully) for 40 years. I'm actually a slab climber disguised as a "real" climber.

As Pontius Pilate said (almost) "What is reality?"
 Aigen 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Rob Davies: Grade: E13 3c. I feel ill after watching that.
 Liam P 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Rob Davies:

I worked as a cell-tower climber in Canada during the '4G gold rush' and it's the easiest climbing you could ever do (basically a 1300ft ladder with a bit of maneuvering at the top).

We had monthly H&S courses and the trainer actually showed us this video in one. It was filmed in the US a few years ago, when their industry rules were pretty much non-existent. It took wining the award of 'Americas deadliest job' before they caught up with the rest of the world. If this guy was caught climbing like that today he'd be kicked off site, but a lot still climb like that to save time in the knowledge that nobody can see them anyway.

Still no IRATA requirement over there. I was taught by the rest of the crew on the job (a lot of jocks funnily enough!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...