UKC

Manchester Climbing Centre Grading

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mi|es 26 Nov 2012
I went bouldering there yesterday and was a bit confused by the grading. I sent two problems marked as in the v6-v8 range as well as a v7 despite the fact that I haven't climbed in over three months and my previous best when I was far stronger than I am now was v5/6. I really liked the place and enjoyed the route setting so I'm not complaining, I was just wondering if anyone else thought that the grading was pretty soft - they felt more like v3/4 than v6/7 to me :S
 DaveHK 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Mi|es:

Indoor grading will always be a bit of a lottery the best you can hope for is consistency across the problems in an individual wall.
 Kieran_John 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Mi|es:

Is that the one in the Church? I normally climb v4/5 and I was climbing a grade or two harder in there. I really really enjoyed it though, great place.
 Reach>Talent 27 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
Indoor grading will always be a bit of a lottery the best you can hope for is humourous inconsistency across the problems in an individual wall.

There I fixed it for you. Am I the only person who finds it really funny when you flash a v5 and then have to spend a couple of minutes working a v1? The Castle has had a few hilariously desperate low grade problems recently and it does you good occasionally to dent your ego a bit

OP Mi|es 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Kieran_John:
> (In reply to Mi|es)
>
> Is that the one in the Church? I normally climb v4/5 and I was climbing a grade or two harder in there. I really really enjoyed it though, great place.

Yup, that's the one. I'm glad someone else agrees about the grading, I was pretty confused. I share your opinion of the place in general though, I look forward to going back there sometime.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...