UKC

Vauxhall Meriva-do you own/ would you buy one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 t_hume 26 Nov 2012
I'm fed up with being cramped up in my Renault Clio (I'm 6'4")and need something bigger. I'm looking at a Meriva that looks in ok condition but I'm nervous of any hidden surprises- is the clutch going to fall apart at 60000 miles, is the turbo going to give up at 80000 etc. Any info appreciated...

Tom

OP t_hume 26 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume:

Should have said, its the 1.7 deisel, '54 plate.
 brokenbanjo 26 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume:

Had a hire one and almost died when the pice of crap refused to accelerate up a slight incline in second. I had to drop it in to first to escape the tractor that was bearing down on me from behind. Also they are horrible to drive. Just get an astra, focus, leon, megane, etc.
 Neil Williams 27 Nov 2012
In reply to brokenbanjo:

New Astra is good for 6 footers, but not the old one. I got a late model Vectra, tons of room.

Neil
 lewis 27 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume: A friend had one. The seats were very uncomfortable and it smacked of a cynical attempt at a cash in on the small mpv sector. She liked it though.
 toad 27 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume: Isn't the meriva based on a corsa? I'm not sure what space advantage you'd get
 Jonay 27 Nov 2012
In reply to toad:

You're thinking of the Agila.

Meriva is between a Astra/Vectra - just with a higher roof.
 toad 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Jonay: ah, ok. Thought that was the Zafira? Meaningless international car names are very confusing!
 EeeByGum 27 Nov 2012
In reply to toad: Yep - Zafira is basically an Astra underneath. Not sure what a Mervia is though - Corsa?
 The New NickB 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Jonay:

The Agila isn't based on any of Vauxhall's convensional hatchbacks, it is a shared platform with Suzuki.

Meriva is based on an Corsa.
 toad 27 Nov 2012
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Jonay)
>
> The Agila isn't based on any of Vauxhall's convensional hatchbacks, it is a shared platform with Suzuki.
>
Shades of the Bedford Rascal?

> Meriva is based on an Corsa.

bigbobbyking 27 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume:

My parents have had a 54 plate Diesel and it's done North of 130,000 still going strong. Don't think anything major has fallen off it. Not particularly pretty or fun to drive, but I found it very practical when I've borrowed it for weekends. Definitely a lot more space than a Clio.
 handjammer 27 Nov 2012
In reply to brokenbanjo: Had a very similar experience with the one we were "upgraded"(wow, thanks Hertz) to at Stansted. No power whatsoever, especially up long drags, similarly embarassing when you can't get past a large flat-bed lorry.

The layout was weird too, especially the centre console. My wife and I both agreed that it was truly awful. I've had loads of hire cars, and this was the worst, even more so than the battered Clio we once rented from Alicante, or the completely shagged A-class Merc in central Paris from Easy-rent-a-flight-and-car-and-hotel.com!
In reply to t_hume:

A Skoda Yeti will give you all the room you need, and more besides. When new the Yeti is cheaper than the equivalent Meriva - however Meriva's are often sold with massive discounts, basically because they're not really that good.
 LastBoyScout 27 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume:

No / not in a million years.
 VS4b 27 Nov 2012
In reply to thin bob:

We had a 2003 model, 1.8 petrol. It was great, comfy enough, not quick but not sluggish, either. didnt notice it being thristy.
For the size of the car the boot was massive and very flexible too (sliding rear seats)
had a few minor issues, nothing expensive (warranty)

we kept it to 850000 with no major outlay beyond the usual consumables.
 Wilbur 27 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume:

Vauxhalls are shit, don't do it...
 toad 27 Nov 2012
In reply to VS4b:
> (In reply to thin bob)
>

>
> we kept it to 850000 with no major outlay beyond the usual consumables.

Eight hundred and fifty thousand miles? Maybe I'vew underestimated it
 SouthernSteve 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Jonay:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> You're thinking of the Agila.
>
> Meriva is between a Astra/Vectra - just with a higher roof.

No it isn't we have a meriva and an astra - chalk and cheese
one is a van with seats in the back that has no power and poor cornering, the other is an acceptable car!
 VS4b 27 Nov 2012
In reply to toad:
Sorry 85k!
In reply to Wilbur:

I've had a couple, and my Dad had plenty of them, and no issues particularly (apart from the Astra SRi that got nicked, but that's hardly Vauxhall's fault).

There aren't really any completely crap newish cars, TBH, just some are better than others.

Neil
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Zafira is Astra-derived, Meriva is Corsa-derived, AIUI. Don't think they ever did a Vectra based large MPV.

Neil
OP t_hume 29 Nov 2012
In reply to t_hume: Thanks for the all the advice folks. I have swapped in the clio (and any street cred judging by my mates reactions) for the meriva.

Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...