UKC

Decent campsite near great pub please - central or south Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 27 Nov 2012
'ow do,
As in the title please. Recommendations for ok campsites (showers but please no games rooms and the like) near cracking pubs in the south or Central Lakes. Open at this time of year, happy for us to park up my van (no electrical hook-up required).
Cheers,
Lex
 peas65 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex:

Surely the classic has to be national trust/ baysbrown in langdale. Close to the old dungeon ghyll/ sticklebarn which is looking much nicer now its been taken over by nat trust.
 RichardP 27 Nov 2012
In reply to peas65:
> (In reply to lex)
>
> Surely the classic has to be national trust/ baysbrown in langdale. Close to the old dungeon ghyll/ sticklebarn which is looking much nicer now its been taken over by nat trust.

be aware with this campsite that it's rock about 50mm below the surface so it's hard to put tent pegs in and it's prone to flooding.

be aware that the Theakston "Old Perculular" is very good in the Old dungeon ghyll

Simon Caldwell 27 Nov 2012
In reply to peas65:
Baysbrown at Chapel Stile is much better than the National Trust site IMO, cheaper, quieter, better facilities, and you can actually get tent pegs into the ground. A short walk from the Wainwright, a slightly longer walk from the Britannia in Elterwater.
 Bulls Crack 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex:

Is Coniston Hall open this time of year - you'd have to check. Several good pubs in the village.
 Simon Caldwell 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Pretty sure all the Coniston sites close at the end of October. We certainly couldn't find anything open at the beginning of this month (so went to Baysbrown instead).
 George Ormerod 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex:

Turner Hall Farm in Seathwite, Duddon gets my vote. Quiet, friendly, good facilities, close to the Newfield Inn.
OP lex 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex:

Thanks all, keep 'em coming.

I was looking for something a little bit more off the beaten track than the Dungeon Ghylls. The Newfield Inn looks great, and mention of a fire too...

Cheers,
Lex
 Simon2005 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex: Another vote for Turner Hall and the Newfield. Lots of good climbing nearby too.
 wheelo 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex: turner hall does it for me
 RichardP 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex:
> (In reply to lex)
>
> Thanks all, keep 'em coming.
>
> I was looking for something a little bit more off the beaten track than the Dungeon Ghylls. The Newfield Inn looks great, and mention of a fire too...
>
> Cheers,
> Lex

I seem to remember staying in a bunk house in Boot, the other side of the Hardknott Pass from the Old Dungeon Gyll.
There was a pub in Boot and the bubnkhouse had a campsite

I can't remember the name, it's going back a few years

Mark Kemball 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lex: Brothers Water Inn, good food and beer when I was there last January. I've not camped there, but I got chatting to some folks who were - they liked it. Not really south or central, but...
OP lex 27 Nov 2012

Unfortunately, like many others, Turner Hall is closed for winter. Wonder if we could camp behind the bar in the Newfield Inn...?
In reply to Richard Phelan:
> (In reply to lex)
> [...]
>
> I seem to remember staying in a bunk house in Boot, the other side of the Hardknott Pass from the Old Dungeon Gyll.
> There was a pub in Boot and the bubnkhouse had a campsite
>
> I can't remember the name, it's going back a few years

I went to the Boot Inn recently. There were only two other customers but there was a rock and roll CD being played good and loud to compensate. It's hard to imagine it being a great pub even when full, but you never know.

RichardP 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
> (In reply to Richard Phelan)
> [...]
>
> I went to the Boot Inn recently. There were only two other customers but there was a rock and roll CD being played good and loud to compensate. It's hard to imagine it being a great pub even when full, but you never know.

We stopped off on route to scotland,
we were meeting mates in the bunkhouse, so maybe we brought our own party with us

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...