UKC

Ryanair add MORE charges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ryanair-customers-face-charges-095328936.h...

Not much else to say...surely this is taking the weewee! Charging you to use their website!!!!?
 Neil Williams 29 Nov 2012
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC):

They're copying easyJet - avoiding the "payment fees" politics by calling it a booking/admin fee instead. Can't really ban that unless you ban the entire event ticketing industry from doing it as well.

Neil
 Enty 29 Nov 2012

Where does it say this? I couldn't find that bit.

E

Mike Stretford 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: I think the OP is reffering to this bit

'Ryanair also announced that its passengers would have to pay a £6 administration fee to cover the airline's website costs.'
 Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Enty) I think the OP is reffering to this bit
>
> 'Ryanair also announced that its passengers would have to pay a £6 administration fee to cover the airline's website costs.'

I've just been on there and it didn't cost me a thing

E
cap'nChino 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Enty) I think the OP is reffering to this bit
>
> 'Ryanair also announced that its passengers would have to pay a £6 administration fee to cover the airline's website costs.'

I see what youre shooting for but it's slightly different than covering website costs.

They would do themselves a favour by just having one price which includes all this extra charge nonesense. They could probably have an admin charge of £12 and we would never know.

Ah well, I should care, I never use them.
 Frank4short 29 Nov 2012
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): If you don't like them don't use them. I've no fondness for Ryanair though it's pretty well documented what their policies are re ticketing, charging, baggage, etc. The fact that people complain when they get caught out or end up not paying the least possible amount or Ryanair just up their fees seems pretty pathetic to me seeing as A: you don't have to use them & B: without the likes of ryanair air travel around europe would not be the possibility it is now.
 owlart 29 Nov 2012
In reply to carrot_boy (North East Wales MC): I wonder if OFT will force them to take back the claim that the charge is in order to comply with their ruling, when they say that their ruling doesn't mean that?
 EeeByGum 29 Nov 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

> They could probably have an admin charge of £12 and we would never know.

Most companies call this "the cost of business" and is included in the cost the consumer pays. Ryanair, by breaking down their business model by price and publicising it to the passenger are giving the impression that they are very cheap when in reality they are about the same as airlines that bundle everything all into one price. There is the perception that you can do without many of the charges they levy but in reality you can't avoid many of them.

I am just amazed that so many people are prepared to be treated like sh1t in return for the perception of a cheap deal.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
>
>
> I am just amazed that so many people are prepared to be treated like sh1t in return for the perception of a cheap deal.

We have flown with RyanAir from Carcasonne to East Midlands for €12 - no other fees were paid. The flight was on time. Very cheap deals do exist, you need to be flexible and read the small print!

Chris
In reply to EeeByGum:

"I am just amazed that so many people are prepared to be treated like sh1t in return for the perception of a cheap deal. "

I think what O'Leary realised, and Gerald Ratner didn't, was that jewellery is a luxury product, travel isn't, it's a cheap commodity to most people - particularly if were it not cheap it would mean no air travel at all.

It might well be the case that you can fly BA for not much more - but that's because the low-costs have forced the fares down. Flying used to be an expensive business. I remember getting a bargain advance purchase Hamburg-Gatwick return fare to get me home from my year abroad for the holidays in 1998 - £110, a month or so beforehand - that must be well over £200 in real terms. Yet you wouldn't find it too hard to match that in figures (i.e. £110) with easyJet or Ryanair today.

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

And in any case, flying economy class is rubbish, the difference between airlines is just exactly how rubbish it is.

Neil
 Richard Carter 29 Nov 2012

"Gerald Ratner"

There's a name I've not heard in a while, what a plonker!
cap'nChino 29 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to cap'nChino)
>
> [...]
>
> Ryanair by breaking down their business model by price and publicising it to the passenger are giving the impression that they are very cheap when in reality they are about the same as airlines that bundle everything all into one price. There is the perception that you can do without many of the charges they levy but in reality you can't avoid many of them.

I agree, but I think that perception has evaporated these days, certainly with the most hardened travellers (which most people are because of cheap flights).

I don't even bother to look at the Ryanair website these days, because of all their little charges. Id rather pay £30 more and not have to go through the mine field of their extras charges.

Easyjet and the likes win my business because their costings are pretty straight forward. KISS!!
cap'nChino 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:
> (In reply to Neil Williams)
>
> "Gerald Ratner"
>
> There's a name I've not heard in a while, what a plonker!

Just googled him. He looks a lot like Duncan Bannatyne
In reply to cap'nChino:

"Easyjet and the likes win my business because their costings are pretty straight forward. KISS!!"

easyJet have a much more sensible business model, particularly now they have abandoned scrum boarding in favour of allocated seating.

However I think they should...
1. Remove the silly admin fee
2. Give one 20kg checked bag included in the fare

...as that would mean it was all the more straightforward, and they wouldn't have issues with too much hand luggage and having to check it in at the gate, and the faff that causes.

As their main competitors these days are BA etc, I think it would be a clever move.

Neil
 Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
>
> [...]
>
>
>
> I am just amazed that so many people are prepared to be treated like sh1t in return for the perception of a cheap deal.

I'm amazed that so many people think they are being treated like shit.

I know I harp on about it but O'leary and Stelios have seriously enhanced my lifestyle.

This year October - Me and little Ent visit grandparents in Lancashire - 80€ all in even with a 20 kilo bag each.

Christmas - Me, Mrs. Ent and Little Ent visiting grandparents 173€ all in with 20 kilo bags. (BA equivalent Marseille to Gatwick was 600 quid and Air France 900€)

I've been using Ryanair and Easyjet for 10 years and I've never had a problem or been treated badly.
I don't know what being treated like shit means - I think that having to navigate a complicated website, stand for 20 minutes in departures, having to listen to a fanfare when the flight is early, paying £4.50 for a sandwich or 2.50 for some Pringles doesn't come into the treated like shit category.

PS - regarding the perception of cheap deals, 25 years ago I flew to Rhodes and it was 250 quid.

E

cap'nChino 29 Nov 2012

> However I think they should...
> 1. Remove the silly admin fee

Yeah just shove it in on the price makes things simpler.

> 2. Give one 20kg checked bag included in the fare
Have to disagree on that. It would jack the prices up and make them less competitive. I rarely need a checked in bag and if I do then it is easy and reasonably priced (imo) to check it in.

Andy Say 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
> [...]
>
> We have flown with RyanAir from Carcasonne to East Midlands for €12 - no other fees were paid. The flight was on time. Very cheap deals do exist, you need to be flexible and read the small print!
>
> Chris

That's nice, Chris. But East Midlands isn't high on my sun-rock destinations list I'm afraid.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Say:
>
>
> That's nice, Chris. But East Midlands isn't high on my sun-rock destinations list I'm afraid.

True - it was £30 to go the other way - TOWARDS Ariège!

Chris
 timjones 29 Nov 2012
>
> "Easyjet and the likes win my business because their costings are pretty straight forward. KISS!!"
>
> easyJet have a much more sensible business model, particularly now they have abandoned scrum boarding in favour of allocated seating.
>
> However I think they should...
> 1. Remove the silly admin fee
> 2. Give one 20kg checked bag included in the fare
>
> ...as that would mean it was all the more straightforward, and they wouldn't have issues with too much hand luggage and having to check it in at the gate, and the faff that causes.
>
> As their main competitors these days are BA etc, I think it would be a clever move.

The user pays is an excellent principle IMO. Why should anyone be forced to subsidise the extra costs involved in your baggage handling if they are travelling light?
 timjones 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
> [...]
>
> I'm amazed that so many people think they are being treated like shit.
>
> I know I harp on about it but O'leary and Stelios have seriously enhanced my lifestyle.
>
> This year October - Me and little Ent visit grandparents in Lancashire - 80€ all in even with a 20 kilo bag each.
>
> Christmas - Me, Mrs. Ent and Little Ent visiting grandparents 173€ all in with 20 kilo bags. (BA equivalent Marseille to Gatwick was 600 quid and Air France 900€)
>
> I've been using Ryanair and Easyjet for 10 years and I've never had a problem or been treated badly.
> I don't know what being treated like shit means - I think that having to navigate a complicated website, stand for 20 minutes in departures, having to listen to a fanfare when the flight is early, paying £4.50 for a sandwich or 2.50 for some Pringles doesn't come into the treated like shit category.
>
> PS - regarding the perception of cheap deals, 25 years ago I flew to Rhodes and it was 250 quid.
>

I think "treated like shit" must mean having to get your calculator out if you're slow of thinking

Enty 29 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Andy Say)
> [...]
>
> True - it was £30 to go the other way - TOWARDS Ariège!
>
>

Robbing bastards!

E

EeeByGum 29 Nov 2012

> We have flown with RyanAir from Carcasonne to East Midlands for €12 - no other fees were paid. The flight was on time. Very cheap deals do exist, you need to be flexible and read the small print!

I agree, but for most of us, flexibility simply isn't an option and as a result we either have to pay to subsidise your cheap flight (You were probably only one of a very few who would actually paid €12 on that flight) and jump through all the hoops and disappointments that that entails or simply pay up front the price it actually costs to get somewhere as advertised by the competition.

It is like travelling to London from Manchester. Sure, you can do it for £12, but setting off from Manchester at 9.30pm on a Thursday evening having booked your tickets 3 months in advance isn't much use if you need to be in a meeting at 10.30am next Tuesday.
 ebygomm 29 Nov 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

We fly to Billind once or twice a year, flights vary in cost from £5 per person per flight to around £40. BA want somewhere in the region of £350 pp. IME flights with major carriers are rarely just 30 pounds more

In reply to timjones:

"The user pays is an excellent principle IMO. Why should anyone be forced to subsidise the extra costs involved in your baggage handling if they are travelling light?"

Because they end up doing anyway, because they always end up gate checking bags on busy flights because there is too much hand luggage.

And in reality, the cost of checked luggage handling isn't per bag, it's a more or less fixed cost of having the facility.

Neil
In reply to timjones:

It's the "fines" for minor transgressions that are an issue. The fee for issuing boarding cards at the airport, for instance, are well in excess of any costs.

Same as banks, I suppose.

Neil

...and more hand luggage = increased costs of operating airport security. Really they should be encouraging people to check it in, not carry it on.

You could argue that the reason they like gate checking is because gate checked bags are "limited release" i.e. do not carry full liability if lost. This is to me completely wrong if someone is forced to check a bag that complies with the airline's size restrictions because the airline can't manage their luggage space properly. (Fine if you've not complied with T&Cs by bringing too many or too large a bag, though).

I have always flat refused to gate check any bag for this reason, though I mostly avoid any chance of being picked by turning up at the gate promptly.

Neil
 timjones 29 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Neil Williams)
>
> ...and more hand luggage = increased costs of operating airport security. Really they should be encouraging people to check it in, not carry it on.
>
> You could argue that the reason they like gate checking is because gate checked bags are "limited release" i.e. do not carry full liability if lost. This is to me completely wrong if someone is forced to check a bag that complies with the airline's size restrictions because the airline can't manage their luggage space properly. (Fine if you've not complied with T&Cs by bringing too many or too large a bag, though).
>
> I have always flat refused to gate check any bag for this reason, though I mostly avoid any chance of being picked by turning up at the gate promptly.
>

If you don't like it pay more and fly with someone else. But can you please accept that a great many people are perfectly happy with the cheap flights that they get.
In reply to timjones:

Like it or not, easyJet's strategy (ask them!) is to move into the area of attracting more business travellers and competing with BA etc.

Ryanair remain committed to the Ratner's approach to flying if you want that.

Neil
 timjones 29 Nov 2012
> (In reply to timjones)
>
> "The user pays is an excellent principle IMO. Why should anyone be forced to subsidise the extra costs involved in your baggage handling if they are travelling light?"
>
> Because they end up doing anyway, because they always end up gate checking bags on busy flights because there is too much hand luggage.
>
> And in reality, the cost of checked luggage handling isn't per bag, it's a more or less fixed cost of having the facility.
>

I tend to avoid the temptation to rush to stand in a queue to board first. Boarding well towards the back of the queue the only bags I have ever seen refused are the oversize ones or the muppets who can't count to one.
 timjones 29 Nov 2012
> (In reply to timjones)
>
> Like it or not, easyJet's strategy (ask them!) is to move into the area of attracting more business travellers and competing with BA etc.
>
> Ryanair remain committed to the Ratner's approach to flying if you want that.
>

You pay your money and make your choices. What I really don't understand is the people who moan and bitch rather than quietly buying flights that match their expectations.
 andy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: If by "the competition" you mean national carriers like BA they don't "advertise" a price - they still use complex algorithms to vary the price - it's just that they don't give you the choice to travel with hand baggage only etc.

I fly two or three times a month to Dublin with Ryanair. The alternative would be to drive an hour and a quarter to Manchester, park miles from the terminal and then have to drive home when I get home. I could then fly with Aer Lingus. With Ryanair I fly from Leeds, half an hour from home and I can park outside the terminal - it's invariably on time and so far hasn't crashed.

Satisfied customer here...
 Enty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> [...]
>
>
>
> It is like travelling to London from Manchester. Sure, you can do it for £12, but setting off from Manchester at 9.30pm on a Thursday evening having booked your tickets 3 months in advance isn't much use if you need to be in a meeting at 10.30am next Tuesday.

Ryanair or Easyjet don't do Manchester to London.

E
 andy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
> [...]
>
> Ryanair or Easyjet don't do Manchester to London.
>
> E

Does that refer to trains?
 cuppatea 29 Nov 2012

I flew with BA once. It was terrible.

He kept shouting "you ain't getting me on no airplane, sucka" and "shuddup, fool!"
In reply to timjones:

I'm not clear why suggesting ways in which a carrier could improve their service (for me) is "bitching and moaning".

Bitching and moaning would be saying that they were crap without constructive suggestions.

Neil
 Philip 29 Nov 2012
Just like to point out, you don't have to fly Ryan Air. Or easyjet.

I've always loved flying BA, in fact we're going with them this weekend. And we flew to Sicily with them earlier this year. They have nicer lounges, nicer staff and the price you see is the price you pay.
Wiley Coyote2 29 Nov 2012

Ryanair are a set of a-holes and pride themselves on it. They revel in their bad boy image, it's part of the brand and the way they keep themselves in the public eye. (Remember the 'pay to use the loo' story or the 'Let's take out the seats and make everyone stand' story) Why pander to them?
 Timmd 29 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Andy Say)
> [...]
>
> True - it was £30 to go the other way - TOWARDS Ariège!
>
>
> Chris

Does nobody see how unhelpfull this is for climate change, that people can fly to climb in the sun so cheaply?
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Some of those suggestions will never happen, but they do result in free publicity with the message "Ryanair are cheap", which is what they want.

The fact that we are discussing them is in itself free publicity.

O'Leary isn't stupid...

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...