UKC

People photos and voting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 03 Dec 2012
 Blue Straggler 03 Dec 2012
 Simon Caldwell 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:

It's unusual to get a photo voting thread that's complaining about the lack of a voting option on a photo!

The guidelines on the moderation page for the People category are

Group photos and photos of people in a climbing or mountaineering environment or at least linked to a UKC meet. Photos of climbers in action where the climber expression is much more significant than the route they are climbing.

When I'm moderating, the rule of thumb I use is that if a picture is only going to be of interest to those who know the person in the photo then it probably belongs in the People category. So the first you've linked to feels more like landscape, the second probably People.
OP Mike Lates 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador: Ta for the insight.
I guess with the first shot I was so chuffed to get the guy in focus, background as planned, colour of the pool & nothing revealed that I did want opinions. So many of my shots are poor (because they are put up for information sake) I felt hard done by to have it moved from landscape. It took me quite a while to work out which category it had been assigned to & just thought there was an automatic "we're not having that sort of thing" designation for the mods.

There isn't an obvious "appeal" channel & I'm not fussed enough to make a song & dance but wondered if others had had the same done to a favourite shot of theirs.

Glad Halcyon Days didn't suffer the same or I might never even have got to see it let alone enjoy the best selection of comments I've known or have met Charlie & found out it wasn't a superimposed model but his wife
 Simon Caldwell 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:
> There isn't an obvious "appeal" channel

Just edit the photo and change the category
 Tom Last 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Mike Lates)
> [...]
>
> Just edit the photo and change the category

^^

Yeah do this. I always put my pics in 'crag shots', which are usually then re-assigned by the mods, before finally being moved back to crag shots again by me.

It would be much easier if they just introduced a no-voting option.
 krikoman 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Mike Lates)
> [...]
>

Draw some knackers on him
 Al Evans 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Mike Lates:
> (In reply to Toreador) Ta for the insight.
> I guess with the first shot I was so chuffed to get the guy in focus, background as planned, colour of the pool & nothing revealed that I did want opinions.

But the point is that shots in any category can have comments/opinions, its just that you can be free of votes from wankers if you put them in a non voting category. I think it is important to preserve vote free categories, if you want opinions just put a note with the picture welcoming comments.
 Al Evans 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Toreador)
> [...]
>
> ^^
>
> Yeah do this. I always put my pics in 'crag shots', which are usually then re-assigned by the mods, before finally being moved back to crag shots again by me.
>
> It would be much easier if they just introduced a no-voting option.

Agreed, and it would solve all this angst if the mods would introduce a 'votes not welcome' option in the same way as you can choose not to take comments.
 Blue Straggler 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Why not just upload rubbish pictures, then you can't be hurt when they get low votes? This seems to be what a lot of folk are doing
OP Mike Lates 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Tried that & clever techies bounce it back to non-voting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...