UKC

Tut Braithwaite Winter Solo's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Walton 04 Dec 2012
I was lucky enough to have a banter with Mr Braithwaite the other night about his infamous winter solo of Black Cleft on Cloggy. He had intended to Do Black Cleft and Central Ice-fall on Craig y Rhaeadr on the same day but car troubles had curtailed this - he soloed Black cleft one day and the Central Ice-fall the next!

But he also mentioned soloing a route i didn't quite catch the name of; it was something like "Gully of the Ghosts". It certainly had Ghost in the title and I would assume it would be in the Pass.

Does anyone know to which route he would have been referring? My jaw was still on the floor so was unable to ask him to repeat.
 Al Evans 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Jim Walton: How about 'Ghosts' E3 on Craig Y Rhaeadr, a crag well known for its winter ascents.
 Phil Sneyd 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Jim Walton: Think it was written up in the latest CC Cloggy guide. Exceptional piece of climbing considering the tools of the day. Even current top drytooling "barbie" climbers would be hard pushed to repeat this!
OP Jim Walton 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil Sneyd: Mr Braithwaite said he was climbing with Simond chacal axes, the best money could buy at the time?, so was fairly confident. Only claimed it to be a solo climb if there was no-one else on the route, above or below!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...