UKC

Worst Cover versions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Last 05 Dec 2012

Just heard Robert Flack's cover version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face on the BBC.

Might not be obvious that it's so bad, but I particularly hate it because it's far too slow, she misses out all the interesting nuances that are in the lovely original version sung by Peggy Seeger and yet Flack's version is probably the most famous and lauded, which I think is a shame.

What are the worst covers you can think of?
Wonko The Sane 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man: If it gets worse than this....... I DON'T want to see it.

Celine Dion doing a cover of ACDC, You Shook Me All Night Long

youtube.com/watch?v=ULmC8JTTVy0&
OP Tom Last 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

That is truly disgusting. The guitarist is playing a Strat' too, just to rub salt in the wounds.

Dauphin 05 Dec 2012

You missed the A........a word out of that post fella. Crimes against music.

Comments are the best.

D
OP Tom Last 05 Dec 2012
In reply to deepstar:

Haha amazing.
 Blue Straggler 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

George Michael's "True Faith" was a shocker

youtube.com/watch?v=joHBFda3g6g&

You got the impression that somehow he'd never heard it until a couple of years ago(*), then heard it whilst off his nut on whatever pharmaceutical cocktail he was on, liked the idea that it had "Faith" in the title, and literally rushed to a studio while still off his tits on something, and knocked out this cover in 20 minutes, and then put the entire vocal track through a Vocoder in some attempt to make it sound 80s-synth-tastic.

* I heard him pretty much admit this when guesting on Jonathan Ross' Radio 2 show or some such, plugging the single.
OP Tom Last 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Unbelievable. The video reminds me of the David Brent music video in The Office, even looks a bit like him. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

You know, I was thinking of putting the Brent video up for a laugh, then I remembered this abomination...

All credit to George Michael, however, for being the only person to ever make people long to hear Bernard Sumner's vocal
In reply to Dauphin:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
>
> You missed the A........a word out of that post fella. Crimes against music.
>
> Comments are the best.
>
> D

First one is my fave:

The only thing that could make this good would be if Dion broke a heel and fell off the stage into a pit filled with horse shit and wasps.
OP Tom Last 05 Dec 2012

Here's one in the eye for George.

youtube.com/watch?v=l-EdCNjumvI&

Just horrible, not sure whether it's much worse than the original though.
 hokkyokusei 05 Dec 2012

Paul Young - Love will tear us apart
 Jon Stewart 05 Dec 2012

youtube.com/watch?v=kIdeMwHhwZg&

I couldn't get passed the first couple of lines. Good luck.
 Morgan Woods 05 Dec 2012

Madonna and American Pie

I believe she came up with some new verses....yer know coz the original ones aren't that good.
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012

The Power of Love - the one off the Christmas Ad.

Awful, lazy, wailing karaoke
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> ...yer know coz the original ones aren't that good.

In fairness to Madonna, they AREN'T. They were deliberately written freeform as an attempt to be annoying. So she went into the whole thing in the right spirit.

Big Steve 05 Dec 2012
Is this the worst version ever of you've lost that loving feeling?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvGdOC6D1Y&
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: You just don't cover anything by Radiohead.

For me it's Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar, was absolutely horrible !
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) You just don't cover anything by Radiohead.

What a ludicrous statement.

Who else is too "sacred", while you're at it?
 Dauphin 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino:

Agree - love the original for the cheese factor - the new one has no phrasing it's all just warble.

D
OP Tom Last 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Eugh, he is so sick, it's a wonder he doesn't realise.

Some 'great' stuff on here guys.
 ripper 05 Dec 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei: the change in Paul Young from his early Q-Tips days to his solo career is perhaps the biggest hero-to-zero transformation I can think of in the whole of music...
 Jon Stewart 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:
>
I actually like this jazz piano cover of a radiohead track (but this guy has a billion times more weight in his soul than that pointless little twerp Cullum):

youtube.com/watch?v=qWkOxYKNZOs&
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012

Also "Valerie" by Amy Whinehouse

Mostly because it has become a Karaoke favourite for girls so sing "law yer er er er er"

Hate it
OP Tom Last 05 Dec 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
>
> Paul Young - Love will tear us apart

Jesus Christ really?

I have to deal with him at work occassionaly, might have to haul him over the coals
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012

All About Eve - She Moves Through The Fair

(really)
 Philip 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

While preparing my alternative Christmas playlist I came across Jingle Bells by Hasselhoff - a YouTube video is available!

To the OP, I prefer the Roberta Flack version.

And to set the cat amongst the pigeons what is the opinion on Happy Xmas (war is over) by The Alarm?
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: I never said anyone was "sacred", I just happen to think that Radiohead creates music which suits them and only them.

I quite enjoy listening to covers actually, especially when they are good.
OP Tom Last 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino:

I like the Alex Campbell version of that. Not familiar with All About Eve, but pretty bad then?Is it poppy?
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: Yeah, that's a bit different without the vocals though. Sounds pretty good though !
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012

God, no, if only!

It's new age hippy sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow wannabe celtic...
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:
>> I quite enjoy listening to covers actually, especially when they are good.

Yup - think David Gray's version of "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" and Johnny Cash "Hurt" etc etc. Some good ones around.
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012

Are dance versions of former hits allowed?

I'm thinking "The Boys of Summer" that was trashed by DJ Somthing or Other
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) I never said anyone was "sacred", I just happen to think that Radiohead creates music which suits them and only them.
>

saying "you just don't cover Radiohead" is pretty much saying "their music is sacred". I know you didn't use the word "sacred", because I can read.
From your username I suppose you weren't at Glastonbury in 1997, when Thom Yorke had been publicly denouncing "Creep" for a couple of years and not playing it, so a lot of the major bands that year worked a cover of Creep into their own sets (and iirc Radiohead DID play Creep, during one of the most legendary Glastonbury sets ever)
> (In reply to Rampikino)
>
> I like the Alex Campbell version of that. Not familiar with All About Eve, but pretty bad then?Is it poppy?

No, it is very minimal and folky. It is painfully earnest.

Rampikino 05 Dec 2012
In reply to marsbar:

Don't do that! I can't access Youtube from here!
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino: The Libertines cover of Sally Cinnamon (Stone Roses) is better than the original in my opinion. JC's version of Hurt is a fantastic cover. The Verve made Bittersweet Symphony their own essentially too !
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:

Indeed - Bittersweet Symphony is a fascinating story. I have heard the "Original" or rather the orchestral version of "The Last Time"
In reply to Nath93:

Not sure why the poster has written that Anni "wrote" this

You're bound to hate it

youtube.com/watch?v=EaTwlgNvvR0&
andy guppy 05 Dec 2012
OMG......A definate crime against humanity.
Guppy
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012

I might be courting controversy here, but I CANNOT ABIDE...

Comfortably Numb by The Scissor Sistors. Bee Gees on speed destroying a great song
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: That's taking it a bit literally is it not ? Nah I wasn't at Glastonbury in 97, as you correctly assumed. Although i'd say that their 2003 set was far superior to the 97 one and they never played Creep during the 03 set.

Thom Yorke disliked Creep for various reasons, one being being that he realised people were only coming to see them for one song (Creep) so was happy to get Creep out of the set and it hasn't had a major airing since they played it at Reading in 2009 i think ?
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino: youtube.com/watch?v=ls_J6_jtvGQ& worth a look if you haven't seen it before !
 toad 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:

>
> Thom Yorke disliked Creep for various reasons

Did I miss the obituaries?
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:

Shtop it! I can't view Youtube! Warrisit?
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:

Ahh I see what it is though I can't view it.

"That is some serious Lawyer shit..." If I recall
 Elrond 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man: ]

Its got to be Peter Noone's cover of 'Oh! You pretty things'
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012

The Krankees version of "Starman" by Bowie??
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino: Just a video about Bittersweet Symphony and how really Ashcroft and co. wrote everything and only used a small part of the Stones track which they had actually taken from another band in the first place !
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:

It wasn't a small bit at all!

I have the other version on my iPod. Banged to Rights I'm afraid.
 Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino: Ah, I've never heard the original fully. You'd still expect to be able to take some rights (or profit) for it, he wrote all the lyrics and that after all ?
 Rampikino 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:

Yeah, it is a shame. Bittersweet by name...
 Philip 05 Dec 2012
Radiohead played Creep at their homecoming gig in Oxford in 2001 after many years of not playing it.

There are some good Radiohead covers. Like many good covers they involve a change in style, rather than a poor imitation.
 Philip 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino:

Except they made a lot of money from that song doing so well. I don't know of you'd heard of the before Urban Hymns but Northern Soul and that early album weren't big sellers until that song.

If they had got the original 50% cut I'm sure it would only have gone up Ashcroft's nose!
 Jonny2vests 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) That's taking it a bit literally is it not ? Nah I wasn't at Glastonbury in 97, as you correctly assumed. Although i'd say that their 2003 set was far superior to the 97 one and they never played Creep during the 03 set.

I was at both and Glastonbury 97 was way better. It was 'the' OK Computer moment.

Jon Stewart 05 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Nath93)
> [...]
>
> Not sure why the poster has written that Anni "wrote" this
>
> You're bound to hate it
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=EaTwlgNvvR0&

Well, I wouldn't seek it out, but I think it's quite heartfelt. I prefer it to Cullum's High and Dry.
 Philip 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Philip:

Found it: Scala & Kolacny Brothers cover of Creep.
 Jonny2vests 05 Dec 2012

Wyclef Jean's cover of Wish You Were Here (Floyd), was staggeringly bad. It amazes me that anyone would take on anything so obviously unimprovable in the first place. His motto is obviously something like: If its not fixed, break it.

I think most Beatles covers are 2nd rate compared to the original.

In reply to jonny2vests:
>
> Wyclef Jean's cover of Wish You Were Here (Floyd), was staggeringly bad.

I agree in this instance, but The Fugees covers of Killing me softly and Ready or not were bloody brilliant.

Nathan Adam 05 Dec 2012
In reply to jonny2vests: I've only ever watched them on youtube so can't comment on atmosphere on the night but I prefer 03 simply for the fact that they have more diversity in the music with some tracks from different albums rather than just OKC and The Bends.
 Jon Stewart 05 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Nath93)
> [...]
>
> Not sure why the poster has written that Anni "wrote" this
>
> You're bound to hate it
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=EaTwlgNvvR0&

Well, I wouldn't seek it out, but I think it's quite heartfelt. I prefer it to Cullum's High and Dry.
In reply to Southern Man: One of my fave covers. Day we caught the train, by some kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zoDXw4Kzx8&list=FLzSiwe1zYlGOMA849xYWj...
 Glyno 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Shadowmaster:
> (In reply to Southern Man) ]
>
> Its got to be Peter Noone's cover of 'Oh! You pretty things'

although written by Bowie, Noone's version was actually the original.

A. Pedant.

Elrond 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Glyno:

Technically yes, however, the performance was described by NME as

"one of rock and roll's most outstanding examples of a singer failing to achieve any degree of empathy whatsoever with the mood and content of a lyric"

Bowies version is just so much better!
 Jonny2vests 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Don't get me started on Jamie Cullum. First against the wall when the revolution comes.
 Steve John B 05 Dec 2012
In reply to deepstar:
> (In reply to Southern Man) youtube.com/watch?v=fPpJT3QRRnk&

Eh? It's not a patch on the studio version (from the splendid 'Meet Glen Campbell') but it's grand. Only a problem if you're wedded to the original.

Haven't read the rest of the thread but I assume someone's gone for the lazy option - 'I Will Always Love You' - great songwriting from Dolly but the original is not one of her better performances.

Boyzone doing the Bee Gees' 'Words' is fairly gruesome.
 Glyno 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Shadowmaster:
> (In reply to Glyno)
>
> Technically yes, however, the performance was described by NME as
>
> "one of rock and roll's most outstanding examples of a singer failing to achieve any degree of empathy whatsoever with the mood and content of a lyric"
>
> Bowies version is just so much better!

not disagreeing, just stating that Noone's wasn't a cover.
 Glyno 05 Dec 2012

...you could argue that Bowie's version of All The Young Dudes (penned by Bowie) wasn't as good as Mott The Hoople's original version.
 Dauphin 05 Dec 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=xaZim6ybvdA

someone left the cakes out in the rain

D
 ripper 05 Dec 2012
In reply to jonny2vests:
>
>
> I think most Beatles covers are 2nd rate compared to the original.

Probably true in most cases, but not so in the case of Joe Cocker's famous With a Little Help From My Friends, I'd suggest.
In reply to Southern Man: Nightwish's ex-vocalist performing Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit in Helsinki the 4th of June 2007 with Esa Nieminen at the annual Marimekko fashion show.

youtube.com/watch?v=BYJs3ajxvQI&
 Blue Straggler 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Glyno:
>
> ...you could argue that Bowie's version of All The Young Dudes (penned by Bowie) wasn't as good as Mott The Hoople's original version.

How about Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U"?

I think a lot of this is about which version you first became familiar with.
 Jonny2vests 06 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
> Probably true in most cases, but not so in the case of Joe Cocker's famous With a Little Help From My Friends, I'd suggest.

Agreed, that's always been my main exception. That, and possibly Siouxsie and The Banshees' Dear Prudence.
 Jonny2vests 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=IzDEmkfb6VI&

I'd like to out myself and own up to buying that at the time. WTF was I thinking.
 marsbar 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Rampikino: Sorry. All Saints turn RHCP under the bridge from a powerful emotional song about self destruction into a cheerful girl band pop tune.
 Elrond 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Shadowmaster)
> [...]
>
> not disagreeing, just stating that Noone's wasn't a cover.

Haha fair enough then!
 hokkyokusei 06 Dec 2012
> (In reply to hokkyokusei)
> [...]
>
> Jesus Christ really?
>
youtube.com/watch?v=7OqO3hH6KEY&

> I have to deal with him at work occassionaly, might have to haul him over the coals

Make sure those coals are good and hot.
Removed User 06 Dec 2012

Some Corr or another did Blue Nile's Tinseltown In the Rain, holy mother of fck it was bad...
 Mike-W-99 06 Dec 2012
>
> George Michael's "True Faith" was a shocker
>
I'm struggling to think of any decent NO/JD cover versions with perhaps the NO take on Ceremony?
 Hat Dude 06 Dec 2012

Petula Clark's disco version of 10cc's "I'm Not In Love"

youtube.com/watch?v=7-UMzvHkLGo&
 TMM 06 Dec 2012

No YouTube access at work but I can assure you that a search for Mandy Moore's version of 'The Whole of the Moon' will have you ripping your ears off the side of your head. Such a great song and she nails it to a cross.
 TMM 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Nath93:

The Bitter Sweet Symphony saga adds even more poetry and drama to, in my opinion, one of the most fantastically epic songs of the last 25 years.

Richard Ashcroft wrote BSS and used a sample from The Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra's version of 'The Last Time'. Loog Oldham was the Stone former manager, as part of the deal to ditch him the Stones signed over the rights to many of their largest earlier songs, including 'The Last Time'.

When you hear the ALO version the similarities are very, very obvious but actually very little of the actual song was used with the exception as most was re-recorded.

Up until the launch of the single, 2 months before the Urban Hymns the Stones management agreed to a 50/50 split on the royalties. At the very last minute this was changed to 100%. The Verve and their management had no where to go other than agree or risk cancelling the single and album launch.

BSS is the most successful song credited to Jagger/Richards since 'Brown Sugar'.

The song ensured Urban Hymns success, although it never made No.1 being beaten by Puff Daddy's horrific cover of Every Breath You Take/I'll be missing you.

The Verve did get to No.1 in the album chart with Urban Hymns and in the singles chart with The Drugs Don't Work which only moved off the top spot with the release of another evil cover 'Candle in Wind' (shudder).

A very interesting story about money and music, 'you're slave to money then you die'. Also interesting is that Urban Hymns was going to be the first Richard Ashcroft solo album before he bottled it and reformed The Verve. The Verve had previously had legal problems as their original name (check out the first album, singles and EPs) was just 'Verve'. They were then threatend by the US Jazz label of the same name and so changed to to becoming the defintive article with their second album 'A Northern Soul'.
 TMM 06 Dec 2012
In reply to TMM:
>
> No YouTube access at work but I can assure you that a search for Mandy Moore's version of 'The Whole of the Moon' will have you ripping your ears off the side of your head. Such a great song and she nails it to a cross.

youtube.com/watch?v=l5cZ64nW5dM&

And now here is the horror in full.
Wonko The Sane 06 Dec 2012
In reply to TMM:
> (In reply to TMM)
> [...]
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=l5cZ64nW5dM&
>
> And now here is the horror in full.

Oh that is just nasty.
It's like she fitted a filter and took all the sustenance out of it!!
Ugh.
 TMM 06 Dec 2012
In reply to TMM:

Metallica's ill conceived cover of Brothers in Arms.

youtube.com/watch?v=FqkGPPwddCU&

The concert is for charidee but not their finest hour.
 TMM 06 Dec 2012

Complete travesty!!

It is like the limpest Iceland value sliced white version of Michelin dining.
 TMM 06 Dec 2012
In reply to TMM:
> (In reply to Nath93)
>
> The Bitter Sweet Symphony saga adds even more poetry and drama to, in my opinion, one of the most fantastically epic songs of the last 25 years.
>
> Richard Ashcroft wrote BSS and used a sample from The Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra's version of 'The Last Time'. Loog Oldham was the Stone former manager, as part of the deal to ditch him the Stones signed over the rights to many of their largest earlier songs, including 'The Last Time'.
>
> When you hear the ALO version the similarities are very, very obvious but actually very little of the actual song was used with the exception as most was re-recorded.
>
> Up until the launch of the single, 2 months before the Urban Hymns the Stones management agreed to a 50/50 split on the royalties. At the very last minute this was changed to 100%. The Verve and their management had no where to go other than agree or risk cancelling the single and album launch.
>
> BSS is the most successful song credited to Jagger/Richards since 'Brown Sugar'.
>
> The song ensured Urban Hymns success, although it never made No.1 being beaten by Puff Daddy's horrific cover of Every Breath You Take/I'll be missing you.
>
> The Verve did get to No.1 in the album chart with Urban Hymns and in the singles chart with The Drugs Don't Work which only moved off the top spot with the release of another evil cover 'Candle in Wind' (shudder).
>
> A very interesting story about money and music, 'you're slave to money then you die'. Also interesting is that Urban Hymns was going to be the first Richard Ashcroft solo album before he bottled it and reformed The Verve. The Verve had previously had legal problems as their original name (check out the first album, singles and EPs) was just 'Verve'. They were then threatend by the US Jazz label of the same name and so changed to to becoming the defintive article with their second album 'A Northern Soul'.

Now with You Tube link to the Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra's version of 'The Last Time'
youtube.com/watch?v=MKC5cdGBY04&
 TMM 06 Dec 2012
In reply to TMM:

And here is a link to the BSS story
youtube.com/watch?v=ls_J6_jtvGQ&
Wonko The Sane 06 Dec 2012
In reply to TMM: Ha, a complete rip off!
 TMM 06 Dec 2012

And here is a link to the BSS story
youtube.com/watch?v=ls_J6_jtvGQ&

Have a watch of this and see what you think.
 thin bob 06 Dec 2012
Ackkk!!
my anti-earworm song that I sing to meself when some annoying crap has seeped into my head...totally mincified

Matthew Good (bad) youtube.com/watch?v=95KFYgDFe6E&
covering Dead Kennedys Moon Over Marin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=Smbh86hYPTA&NR=1
 owennewcastle 07 Dec 2012
In reply to thin bob:

William Shatners common people:

youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0&

I thought it was joke at first....
Wonko The Sane 07 Dec 2012
In reply to owennewcastle:
> (In reply to thin bob)
>
> William Shatners common people:
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0&
>
> I thought it was joke at first....

Thanks for that. Leonard Nimoy's 'Bilbo Baggins' is now running through my head like a virus :/
 Chris the Tall 07 Dec 2012
In reply to owennewcastle:
> (In reply to thin bob)
>
> William Shatners common people:
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0&
>
> I thought it was joke at first....

It's a classic - Jarvis has even been known to play it on his 6music show
 Al Evans 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall: The Byrds cover of 'Mr Tamborine Man' was pretty bad, but Anthony Newlys version of 'What Kind of Fool am I' was truly dire.
 Rubbishy 07 Dec 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to Southern Man

) http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=LHXFJi9Z3nE

I think my laptop's playing at 33 1/3 rpm.

I've heard better at a kids' nativity
 stoo2k 07 Dec 2012

Anything by Leona bloody Lewis...
 Hat Dude 07 Dec 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

All Saints version of "Lady Marmelade" was bad too
In reply to Southern Man: All the previous answers are now irrelevant!

THIS!!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=MSapiGWawmk&
In reply to stroppygob:

eeek.
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

youtube.com/watch?v=wkWo2srE7nY&

leona lewis tries to cover "hurt" in a johnny cash stylee.

fails.
Talius Brute 08 Dec 2012

This is the original

youtube.com/watch?v=cqB61PwvUOI&

Doesn't make the Happy Monday's seem particularly good any longer...
 Cobbler 08 Dec 2012

Brilliant! Raw!!

I'd like to hear that recorded in a studio.
 Cobbler 08 Dec 2012

Stopped me mid roll that did... fantastic.
 Cobbler 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Didn't see any problem with this - was quite liking it... till about 2:25...

Europe and Toto sprung to mind before I was able to mallet the speakers! F me! That's painful!
In reply to Southern Man: All Saints - Under The Bridge

Totally missed the meaning in the song - like Gary Davis, who I once heard say "Ah... that's what music is all about" after playing the RHCP original.
Removed User 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man: this competition is now over- youtube.com/watch?v=Jy8nLK3rDdk&
If you happen to be under the age of thirty, make sure you get mum and dads permission to watch. This is surpassingly dreadful.
 Bulls Crack 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Cobbler:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
>
> Didn't see any problem with this - was quite liking it... till about 2:25...
>
> Europe and Toto sprung to mind before I was able to mallet the speakers! F me! That's painful!

It leads you in doesn't it? And then..arrrghhh
 Blue Straggler 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

That's deliberately bad though isn't it? Mullard and Baker were comedians.

I know it's not "my" thread but I think that only "serious" earnest efforts are eligible
Removed User 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: have always wondered whether they were being deliberately terrible-presumeably the original concept was that a couple of pensionable age singing a song of youthful desire is funny (me neither) in which case they are trying to sing it to the best of their ability. Whatever the truth, it is grade "A" car crash telly.
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
> I'm struggling to think of any decent NO/JD cover versions with perhaps the NO take on Ceremony?

Bizarre Love Triangle as a 3 minute acoustic light pop song by Even As We Speak (an idea later stolen by Frente, whose version was more widely distributed). Both versions are pretty good.

But even better is Laura Cantrell's "Love Vigilantes".

The Times (basically Ed Ball previously of Television Personalities) did some interesting EP with a lot of versions of Blue Monday, I think. A folly and not memorable, but also not crap. Here is the tracklisting. I think I own this but it has not been near a CD player for 18 years

"Lundi Bleu (Radio Edit (4:01) / Lundi Bleu (Praise The Lord Mix) / Remix (The Grid) / Lundi Bleu (The Grid's World Communication Mix) / Lundi Bleu ('Smiling' Remix) / Lundi Bleu (Brazilian Vocal Edit) / Lundi Bleu (Japanese Vocal Edit) / Lundi Bleu (German Vocal Edit) / Lundi Bleu (Spanish Vocal Edit)
CD Creation Records (CRESCD114) 1992"

hang I am listening to it now. It's not good So scrub that.

HangedUp's "New Blue Monday" is interesting given that it is an instrumental on just processed viola and various percussion.

Nine Inch Nails do a decent "Dead Souls" though it's a bit obvious.

More fun and more fittingly, Hole used to do "She's Lost Control" at their gigs, and they did it really well.

Sorry I just got a minute into that NIN cover and had to turn it off. Embarrassing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...