UKC

Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn an Dothaidh conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbhead 06 Dec 2012
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone's been up to Beinn Udlaidh and/or Beinn an Dothaidh this week. Have any routes started forming yet? Any idea of conditions?

Thanks
 oscaig 06 Dec 2012
In reply to climbhead: Haven't been up myself yet but I'm thinking there must be ice lines starting to form. A few routes been reported on Beinn an Dothaidh/Beinn Dorain last few days but nothing relying on copious quantitiies of ice. When you thinking of going?
OP climbhead 06 Dec 2012
In reply to oscaig:

I was thinking about going either Saturday or Sunday. It's been below freezing for a good 7-10 days, so I would think Udlaidh should hold some ice... Is there much snow around Bridge of Orchy at road level?
 oscaig 06 Dec 2012
In reply to climbhead: Thinking of heading that way middle of next week. If you get up before then let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ian
 Jamie B 06 Dec 2012
In reply to climbhead:

I assume you are principly interested in ice conditions?
Dothaidh has been in great mixed condition for the last few days, but is holding quite a lot of snow.
OP climbhead 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Either ice or mixed would be fine - just depends on the options available
 Jamie B 07 Dec 2012
In reply to climbhead:

Options may diminish tomorrow with the thaw. Suspect that the buttresses will lose their rime, but hopefully plenty of snow on ledges will survive and ultimately consolidate. Turf - might actually benefit from more of it getting exposed and refrozen, but you won't know till Sunday. Very little ice formation, routes like Taxus and Cirrus probably not viable.
 Cuthbert 07 Dec 2012
In reply to climbhead:

Best to be flexible. It's not a journey, every journey comes to an end but we go on. The world turns and we turn with it. I warn you, plans disappear on Beinn an Dothaidh and dreams take over.

But wherever you go, there it is. Your luck, your fate, your fortune. Menage a Trois - inevitable.
 oscaig 07 Dec 2012
In reply to climbhead: General local foreast is for more coldness after tomorrow so like you suggest a bit of a limited thaw may not be a bad thing at all. Season seems to be generally shaping up for some icy fun!

Ian
 oscaig 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Saor Alba: Like your thinking buddy but wouldn't that particular threesome be a bit lean and angular in the middle currently? Thinkng of wading up and round to Beinn a' Chreachain if the lower level ice isn't in nick.

Ian
 deanstonmassif 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:

That sounds like the voicover to a perfume advert. Priceless!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...