UKC

UK touring info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maria85 06 Dec 2012
Looking for info on ski touring in the UK and struggling to find any... any guidebooks/online route (or area) descriptions/conditions forums etc etc beyond the usual weather sites/SAIS etc. For Scotland, but also Lakes/Snowdonia. Not interested in any guiding.

Last time I lived in the UK I didn't ski... now I'm back I need my weekend ski fixes! Any info appreciated, don't know where to start short of picking up an OS map and going.

Thanks
 Cuthbert 06 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85:

Look on Winterhighland and buy the "Ski Mountaineer in Scotland" book if you can get hold of it.
craigloon 07 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85:

Unfortunately the SMC guide "Ski Mountaineering in Scotland" is out of print and rarer than hen's teeth.

You could consider joining the Eagle Ski Club, which is a dedicated national club for ski touring.

www.eagleskiclub.org.uk

Good resource for conditions etc:

www.winterhighland.info
 doz 07 Dec 2012

Winterhighland and the ski resort websites good to get idea of conditions..then pick a map and go!
 blurty 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:

Mountain spirit had a few copies last year - probably all gone now
 alasdair19 07 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85: there is some info here for scotland

www.skitourscotland.co.uk
craigloon 07 Dec 2012
In reply to alasdair19:

That's very handy!
OP maria85 07 Dec 2012
In reply to alasdair19:
That's exactly what I was looking for - cheers.
OP maria85 07 Dec 2012
In reply to graeme gatherer:
Also great, thanks.

Anyone have any idea about lakes/wales?
 PontiusPirate 07 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85:

Regarding the Lakes, and accordign to friends of friends I have in the area, the classics are to follow the big ridge lines like High Street, or to get up onto the Helvellyn plateau. That's where I hope to be sometime this season - just not this w/e!

In Wales if you dig throug the Snowdonia winter conditions threads, you'll see comments from a couple of people who've been up on the Carneddau (again a big, mainly grassy plateau).

Btw - I've replied to your email from last night,

PP.
Shearwater 07 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85:
> Anyone have any idea about lakes/wales?

There's at least one guy who's managed some reasonable skiing in the Beacons in the past...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/181670-TR-Wales-Between-a...

...but the main thing I read in his threads is that he gets to do that sort of thing because he lives next door, and that road access when the hills are in condition is minimal. Snowdonia seems like a slightly better bet in that respect.
 Jon Wickham 07 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85: You might be able to get some Lakes info here: http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/
 Gael Force 07 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85: The skiing on Raise above Greenside mine is good just now, with a short Poma, but IMO your better going touring around that area.
 Billhook 08 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85:
"Ski Touring in Scotland" by Angela Oakley published by Cicerone.
 Henry Iddon 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Gael Force:

Or combine a tour with a few runs on the tow, brew in the hut then away you go.
Slugain Howff 10 Dec 2012
In reply to maria85:

where are you based ?
Shearwater 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Perry:
> "Ski Touring in Scotland" by Angela Oakley

Seemed very cross-country oriented to me. Not That There Is Anything Wrong With That, but "Ski Mountaineering in Scotland" seems better if you were looking for a decent amount of downhill in your tours.
OP maria85 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff:

West Yorkshire - meaning Scotland is do-able for a weekend but a bit of a trek. Lakes/Wales closer.

Crossing fingers for some decent snow in the dales later in the winter too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...