UKC

Ice Climbing Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KitCat 07 Dec 2012
Any recommendations??

Something that could be used for water ice in places like Rjukan, but also Scotishy slushiness!
andic 07 Dec 2012
In reply to KitCat:
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/mountain-hardwear-hydra-ex...

mrs c bought me a pair of these last year they have been brilliant, with a pair of thin liner gloves inside.

I find1-2 pairs of gloves fine for rjukan, you will probably need more like 4-5 for scotland.

ps cotswold will slash the price after Christmas, they always do
 Wee Davie 07 Dec 2012
In reply to KitCat:

Work gloves! Timberland Dry Extreme are 1/8 of the price of those Mtn Hardwear beasts. Skytec Argon gloves are even cheaper and get rave reviews on here (I had some but they were too long in the fingers for me).

Use mitts at belays- they are 100% warmer than any gloves. Dachsteins are old but good skool.
 Milesy 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
> Skytec Argon gloves are even cheaper and get rave reviews on here (I had some but they were too long in the fingers for me).]

I tried the Argons last weekend and they were brilliant. One size was too long in the finger, but the size down was perfect - although sacrificing a little more cuff. Once my R1 hoodie comes cuff exposure will be a thing of the past!
 Milesy 07 Dec 2012
also 6 quid a pair! amazing.
 jhw 07 Dec 2012
Good question.

I struggled all last season with finding a pair of gloves that was warm, waterproof, and dextrous enough to be able to place a screw and clip the rope with one hand.

I've just bought these gloves and they are cheap, reasonably warm (moreso with a liner), waterproof, and just dextrous enough. I can tie my shoelaces with them.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-gb/shop/climb/climbing-gloves/arc-g...

Mr. Lee 07 Dec 2012
In reply to KitCat:

BD Punisher Gloves:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-gb/shop/mountain/gloves/punisher-gl...

The BD site says it all so I will save my breath. Other than to say they are probably the best gloves I have found for winter climbing (and I have tried a few).
 iksander 07 Dec 2012
In reply to KitCat: I can recommend ME Mountain Stretch, Randonees or Outdoor Research Alpine Alibi
matejn 07 Dec 2012
 jhw 07 Dec 2012
It strikes me as odd by the way that Black Diamond market my ice climbing gloves as "inspired by motocross". I mean that's nice but I don't see how it's supposed to sell them to me as motocross is surely in no way relevant to ice climbing?
 Wee Davie 07 Dec 2012
In reply to jhw:

Doh- it's because they'll then sell the same gloves with the tag line- "inspired by extreme ice climbing" to the motocross crowd.
 mike123 07 Dec 2012
In reply to jhw: me to, best value pair of gloves on the market, my mate "in the biz" got me some bd guide gloves , full price 130 quid ffs, you can get arcs for $40, i ve been using some for everything , mtb to snow chain fafage, imho 3 pairs would be all you needed in the glove dept,just change when wet.
 jhw 09 Dec 2012
In reply to mike123:

Whoops, I paid about $60 for mine, off a very agreeable lady in a Tahoe gear store though so I can live with that. They were also selling Black Diamond carabiners for $10 each, no lie. I came close to buying some Rab gloves instead purely because they had a picture of the Zinal Rothorn on the tag, but demurred as generally I like to be able to open my quickdraws.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...