UKC

Approach to Cwm Cneifion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
What do people recon the best approach to Cwm Cneifion is without climbing? Ended up hauling heather the last couple of times ive walked up there.
 jezb1 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar: Turn left straight after the wall with the little gate by Idwal.
 bowls 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

As Jez says, although I am not aware of a particularly clean approach short of scrambling down Cneifion Arete!

3 Options, turn left after the gate through Cwm Idwal - as you near Sub Cneifion Rib either make your way up on faint path/heather to the left of Sub Cneifion Rib or stay low and scramble over rocks and then regain path (both re-merge as you reach Cwm Cneifion, but it is rough ground. Alternatively stay on path towards slabs and scramble up gully which goes past the descent from the slabs (wet but entertaining).

It must also be possible to take a path from above the Gribin Facet which goes around the lower reaches of the Gribin Ridge, but never done it (or scramble up the Gribin Facet to reach this path)
In reply to bowls: thanks guys, ive gone round the right of sub cneifion rib before and its a right killer.
Mausman. 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Up to Cwm Bochlydd by the stream path turn right towards Gribin but instead of going up the ridge contour round at roughly the same height as the cwm, you will pick up a thin path which leads easily with little ascent to the bottom of Cwm Cneiffon.

Since someone showed me this way a decade or so ago, I've never walked directly from Idwal again ( unless any of the approaches by the slabs are full of fat ice! )

Someone may be along to explain in a way that makes more sense.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...