UKC

Karrimor Alpiniste b1 boots for uk 4 season use ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SethChili 08 Dec 2012
I've been looking at these as a pretty cheap b1 boot for easy winter stuff and summer scrambling .
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-alpiniste-mens-walking-boots-182095?sr...

Vibram sole , Event lining - it looks generally idiot proof .
I want some Scarpa mantas but cant splash the cash so these look like a decent alternative especially as my feet are still growing ..
Any thoughts ?
 thin bob 08 Dec 2012
In reply to SethChili:
Karrimor has different qualities; some stuff is good, some stuff is awful! It's a label that they slap on things.
I would inspect the boot very carefully. Some of the shoes I've seen have been bad - bad stitching, glue lines, rucked inners...

if i was pushed, I's spend a tenner more and look at
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/salomon-cosmic-4d-2-gore-tex-mens-walking-boots...
because I trust Salomon more
 Ross McGibbon 08 Dec 2012
In reply to SethChili:
You could buy a quality pair of second-hand boots instead of a new pair. I've done that plenty of times and got boots that are almost new from people who changed their mind about walking or climbing or the boots didn't suit them.
 chris.d.w 08 Dec 2012
In reply to SethChili:

They are a truly awful boot.

No where near B1 stiffness let along the B2 they claim it is rated to. The leather is shapeless and very flexible offering no real support. The outsole uses a crazy amount of rubber making them also very heavy.
 bouldery bits 08 Dec 2012
In reply to SethChili:

No idea as to your shoe size but:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.list&query...

have a browse.
Also, don't discount women's boots if you have slim feet.
 avayaman 09 Dec 2012
In reply to SethChili: Not bought the Alpiniste but had a good look. Looks good and is fairly lightweight for a B1 boot(not stated as b2!). Perfect for easy snow climbs/scrambling. I ended up with Brasher Kanaga, but also looked at Berghaus Tarazed boot.
I certainly wouldn't dismiss the Alpiniste boot.
 chris.d.w 09 Dec 2012
In reply to avayaman:

On the website they do only claim a B1 stiffness. But on the boxes in the shop is does actually state that it is a "B2 crampon boot".

Whilst in the shop, had a little comparison in the price range: The Meindl Burma is actually a stiffer boot and although not rated you can fit them with a Monta Rosa crampon. And for £30 more you can get the Scarpa SL Activ.
In reply to SethChili:
The solomon boots mentioned are of no use to you they will not take a crampon and they are only suitable for 3 season at best and no use for scrambling at all, the sole unit is pants on wet rock, I bought some for summer walking and was so appalled by the sole I paid to have Vibram soles put on them. I do like the boots but not for the purpose you indicated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...