UKC

advice for buying a camera please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yellow 09 Dec 2012
i'm after a new camera, spent ages trawling through sites about which is the best camera for a mountaineer. not after a SLR but weight and size are not an issue.

the things i'd like my new camera to have
-fairly good optical zoom
-HD filming
-timelapse function
-panorama function
-continuous shooting function
-prefarably take AA's
-large button for turning on (glove compatable)

does anybody know a camera that ticks all my boxes?

OP yellow 09 Dec 2012
In reply to yellow:

price range looking upto £300.
 Tall Clare 09 Dec 2012
In reply to yellow:

DPreview.com has a search function which might help you to narrow down your choice: http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
Fred Astaire 09 Dec 2012
In reply to yellow: There are a few really good photography forums. The members (in my experience) will fall over themselves to help and advise. Obviously, fanatics tend to go towards the SLRs but the "prosumer" type of machine has a lot of credibility everywhere now.
 goatee 09 Dec 2012
In reply to yellow: Don't really know why you want AA batteries. Most come with a Lit-ion batteries that are much better.
 Chris_Cole 11 Dec 2012
In reply to yellow: Hi - just been through same process and ended up with Pentax Optio WG1 GPS - shockproof, waterproof, coldproof and crushproof! It even comes with a crab to clip onto your harness - check it out. Ticks most of your boxes except AA's but with good lith. battery life and a back up spare weighing in at less than AA's.
 Onion 11 Dec 2012
In reply to yellow:

Snapsort.com allow you to spec out some of the attributes you want in your camera.

I put as much info from your list as possible into the camera and it's suggested a few around your price point. The link is:

http://snapsort.com/recommend#!features=panorama&general=price&lens...

Hope it helps.
 Onion 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Onion:

Should also say to you that you can use the compare function on the site to compare cameras.

It'll list all of the key features of each camera, give you a generic score for each and also tell you what each camera is better at.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...