UKC

keeping a toddler warm outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MarkM 10 Dec 2012
Looking for recommendations and general advice on kit to keep my 15 month daughter warm (and dry) over the coming months.
Including whwether all in one suits or separates have been easier at this age?

Spotty Otter down clothing and splashsuits have been suggested. They seem pricey new but some of their products are available cheaper on ebay... so any views on whether these are siginfcantly better than regatta / Togz or other budget brands are welcome.

Cheers
Mark
 lummox 10 Dec 2012
In reply to MarkM: Our 18 month old has had Bushbaby suits ( insulated and rain ones ) since he was about 6 months. You can pick them up on ebay for 20. They seem to do the job admirably.
 Carolyn 10 Dec 2012
In reply to lummox:

Bushbaby, Spotty Otter, Togz have all been fine here. Togz are a bit more wipe-clean, Spotty Otter more like "grown up" waterproof fabrics if that makes any sense. Or the Columbia 2 part ski suits are good for everything apart from torrential rain (or sitting in puddles), and have the advantage of being able to wear the coat as an everyday jacket.

We found getting them a set of thermals and a pair of woolly ski socks made a huge difference too. Toddler thermals aren't necessarily easy or cheap to come by, though - Muddy Puddles might be worth a look, though the Icebreaker ones are amazing if you can pick up a set cheap.
In reply to MarkM: If it's cold or windy I'm a fan of all-in-ones, especially if the nipper is going to spend a while out doors and/or is likely to be sat in a child carrier. We've had several over the last couple of years, and currently use a padded suit on baltic days and a simple rain-proof suit with other stuff underneath when it's wet rather than cold per se. If the suit is roomy then there's room for plenty of under layers; even fleecey stuff if the weather's really nippy.

Togz strike me as pretty good, I doubt I'd bother going more up-market than them (I wasn't even aware you could spend more!). You'll only get a few months' use out of any item after all.
 Denni 10 Dec 2012
In reply to MarkM:

We used a Columbia skit suit for our daughter in Canada when she was 11 months. Temp was down to minus 30 for at least a week and she was fine.
Underneath she had an all in one babygrow, toddler thermal type socks, a fairly thick jumper and a very thin fleece.

Along with this, she had toddle mitts and she had a pair of ski mitts on as well as a pair of toddler thermal boot type things. On her head she had a balaclava and then her skisuit hood on and she was fine.

When we were back in the UK we also had a second hand columbia suit that is a bib type set up that has boots and mitts that popper on and in pretty cold wet temps down on our local beach, our daughter was toasty. A balaclava is definately a great buy as well to have in your rucksack.

Rigid Raider 10 Dec 2012
In reply to MarkM:

Meths and milk?
 Monk 10 Dec 2012
In reply to MarkM:

When taking our kids out in the cold, we've tried all sorts but all in ones definitely seem to keep them warmer, both fleece/pile and down/synthetic. The best combo I think we've used is a Columbia down suit with a waterproof suit over the top (Regatta, I think). The waterproof keeps the wind out even when it's not raining. Underneath, we will usually have a few layers of normal clothes. Tights were really good with our daughter, as there were no cold spots around the ankles. Feet are often the biggest problem, so lots of socks are good.
 wbo 10 Dec 2012
In reply to MarkM: All in ones are considered essential in Scandinavia, plus boots
 Gavin 10 Dec 2012
In reply to wbo:

If it's cold and you're carrying them then an all on one is the way to go.

For our oldest we use a mixture of things depending on the forecast. A simple all in one waterproof suit (Sprayway Newt suit) has been very good when worn over the top of other things if it's wet. For cold but dry, we have been using some of the children's ski suits from Decathlon (but not sure if they still do them?).

For our youngest we have just got an all in one fleece suit and Regatta fleece lined waterproof suit from Go Outdoors. It has been fine for warmth, but we've not got him out in anything really wet yet to see what it's like.

As someone else has said it can be hands/feet that get coldest so a couple of pairs of socks/gloves and, if we know the youngest isn't going to be out walking much, we'll sometime use 'big socks' as an over the the shoes insulation layer (can be taken off if he gets out and walks).

Gavin
 Carolyn 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Gavin:
> As someone else has said it can be hands/feet that get coldest so a couple of pairs of socks/gloves and, if we know the youngest isn't going to be out walking much, we'll sometime use 'big socks' as an over the the shoes insulation layer (can be taken off if he gets out and walks).

A few people make more technical versions of these (ie fleece/waterproof combo overboots). Equally, padded snow boots aren't bad, and a lot warmer than wellies - particularly if you can find some that are waterproof over the whole foot area.

Gavin 10 Dec 2012
In reply to Carolyn:

Hi Carolyn, we have a pair of the smallest proper snow boots for our 3.5yo from a cheap camping store for when it's cold/wet, but they are too big for the 15m one who is still pretty much in the carrier and shakes them off his feet. For the amount of time they are actually required, which isn't a lot, it's worth us doing a bit of improvisation on the overboot solutions, and hopefully he'll soon be walking more than I am carrying him!
 Jus 10 Dec 2012
In reply to MarkM:

We tried the snuggest warmest looking winter boots possible.

The little one's feet still froze.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...