UKC

AuguileAlpine Zenith or similar lightweight rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 12 Dec 2012
Hi,
Has anyone used the AuguileAlpine Zenith?
http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showpro...

Is it comfortable? Free to move your head around with a helmet on?

What about back length I'm 183cm so I'll likely need a long one?

Anyone used the Triolet?
http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showpro...

Any other suggestions for lightweight climbing rucksacks 45-50l? The frame of the AK47 gets in the way when looking up with a helmet on for me.
 jakey 12 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I have a Zenith - no problems for me with a helmet on, the lid seems to sit back far enough so that it isn't a problem.
I'm 182cm and the long back size fits well.
 GridNorth 12 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I was firmly in the light is right school of thought and used an OMM Jirishanka. It's a good sack but, and it's a big but, it does not carry heavy loads very well. My Deuter Guide 45 on the other hand although heavy in comparison makes loads feel lighter. It's the comfiest pack I've ever owned and I have owned quite a few over the years.
OP CurlyStevo 12 Dec 2012
In reply to GridNorth:
yeah the Deuter Guide range is heavier than I ideally want.

The OMM villain looks interesting although the lid looks pretty odd to me.

I take your point though, lighter is fine but it still needs to be comfortable. I think lightening up the straps and back support too much is not necessarily a good thing.
In reply to jakey:
Is it still reasonably comfortable fully loaded?
 HeMa 12 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Any other suggestions for lightweight climbing rucksacks 45-50l?

The bigger BlueIce Warthog... though only 38l, but should be more than enough...

http://www.blueice.com/products/en/26-warthog-38l.html

BlueIce 45l might also be an option.
In reply to HeMa:
I already have a 35litre bag so I am specifically after a 45-50.
 jakey 12 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I think so, I've also used it for a couple of week long backpacking trips - loaded to about 12-13kg. No problem at that sort of weight.
 Hat Dude 12 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Had a Zenith for approx a year; good sack, very well made, comfortable and lighter than it looks.
Not noticed any problems when wearing a helmet.

My only complaint is that the closing straps are stitched quite high up so that if you're climbing with it fairly empty, it's difficult to strap the lid down tight. I get around this by threading the straps down through the axe attachment loops.
 Captain Gear 12 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I've not got a Zenith, but I do have a Zephyr, which is the same bag with a removable lid.

The bag came with a removable alloy stave, which I never use. If I was buying a new one I'd ask them to leave it out.

They're pretty big bags, think POD Black Ice size. Too big for single day winter routes in my opinion. I've also got a Stratos, which is a fair bit bigger than the 37 litre capacity suggests. A good contender for one sack to rule them all.

Aiguille are normally fairly happy to customize their bags to some extent. However don't bother emailing them, they don't do email very well. Give them a call and ask to speak to Adrian, he's a top bloke and knows a lot about climbing and rucksacks.

Re: back lengths I'm 180cm and have a standard back length. Ask Adrian, he'll know what size is best for you.

My Dad has a Triolet. It is a fair bit smaller than a Zephyr/Zenith, much similar in size to a Stratos. It's a nice bag but more complicated and expensive I probably wouldn't bother.

HTH
 Captain Gear 12 Dec 2012
P.S: I've also had a OMM Villian, not the current model mind. They're nice bags, but no where near as well made or durable as an Aiguille. My OMM bag was trashed in 6 months, My Aiguille Zephyr is 7 years old and still going strong.
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> Any other suggestions for lightweight climbing rucksacks 45-50l?

POD Alpine 50. Very happy with mine. I consider it a genuine improvement on the Black Ice I used for nearly a decade. However I picked it up off here 2nd hand so didn't pay anything close to the rather high RRP.

However, I'd agree with the Captain. 45-50litres is getting big. If I had an infinite amount of money I'd prefer something smaller (Crux AK37, Osprey Mutant 38) for Scotland this Winter or perhaps even a POD Alpine 30.
OP CurlyStevo 13 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: cheers, as mentiond i already have a 35l sack.
 mrchewy 13 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I use a Villain - the lid is pretty useless if you slightly over fill or want to put a rope under it. Had it a few year, British Airways put a big rip in it but it hasn't got any worse surprisingly. I find it a really comfy carry.
I'll replace it with a Blue Ice sack eventually - amazing bits of kit.
 More-On 13 Dec 2012
In reply to mrchewy:
> I'll replace it with a Blue Ice sack eventually - amazing bits of kit.

Indeed! The new Yeti from Blue Ice might fit the bill...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...