UKC

ice axe project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Abeed Akhtar 12 Dec 2012
i am a year 10 student can anyone please tell me how to make an ice a xe and the features of it? please
andic 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Abeed Akhtar:

it's gonna need a sharp pointy bit at one end, unless you just need it for dry tooling grit etc, if so you will need a hammer for your pitons too
Abeed Akhtar 12 Dec 2012
In reply to andic: what pitons mate?
andic 12 Dec 2012

sort of a wedge of metal you can hammer into a crack and clip the rope to for protection, ideal for crack lines etc vis Milstone
Abeed Akhtar 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Abeed Akhtar: thanks mate you got any other information?
 PeterM 12 Dec 2012

You'll need a big ice tray, a decent freezer, and some playdough.Make the outline you require - you can be as 'futuristic' as you please, but ensure the playdough is at least 1.5 - 2 cm deep otherwise it'll be rubbish....the fill with water and freeze...hey presto... ice axe!
andic 12 Dec 2012
In reply to PeterM:

Who said anything about it being futuristic?
 PeterM 12 Dec 2012
In reply to andic:

see the other 'ice axe project' thread
 PeterM 12 Dec 2012
In reply to PeterM:

Christ, there's 3 of them now.is this some sort of spam?
Abeed Akhtar 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Abeed Akhtar: i wrote it first and which one of your is right im confused,?
 Jaffacake 12 Dec 2012
In reply to PeterM:

I think there's 4, although one appears to be the same person talking to themselves using different names.

I'm very confused by it all.
 Reach>Talent 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Jaffacake:
I think it is the lemmings entry for the festive trolling contest.
Abeed Akhtar 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Abeed Akhtar: are you dumb?
 Jaffacake 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Oh dear, now he's started replying to himself and forgot to change names.

Or they are are actually different people logging in from the same network, presumably a school computer lab where they've been told to do some research and for some reason decided asking on a forum was easier than reading wikipedia (not that I see a problem with asking on a forum, but you'd think at least do some basic research first then go for more specific questions).
cap'nChino 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Jaffacake:
> (In reply to mkean)

I suspect youre right on the school lab thing. The question is who is the winter climbing teacher who set this project, and what is his UKC user name?
 mattrm 12 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

A quick search on the IP, shows it as this place:

http://www.haywood.stoke.sch.uk/

Rock Badger 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Abeed Akhtar: built in hand warmers
 David Ponting 12 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:

My guess would be it's not a "winter climbing teacher", rather a Design&Technology (or whatever it's now called) teacher, who may or may not climb, who was looking for something that would involve different types of metal-working techniques (do you forge, cast, &c, how do you connect the bits together, what material would you use...) to suggest for GCSE coursework.

And while you could ask exactly the same questions about e.g. carabiners, ice axes probably have a little more recognition/"coolness factor" amongst schoolkids.

My advice for all these pupils would be threefold:

Firstly - Google is your friend; companies like DMM and Black Diamond have loads of videos/articles promoting their snazzy manufacturing techniques...

Secondly - if you're making these things, don't actually use them for a strength-critical application such as a belay unless you make loads and test them to destruction (and, related, if you research and mention the legal standards and testing; e.g. T-rated vs B-rated it will probably help your grade)

Thirdly - go and try ice-climbing if there's any indoor ice wall near you (or if you can convince the parents to shell out for a taster day in the mountains... (if Plas-y-Brenin or similar do such a thing)); it'll give you a much greater appreciation of how the axes are used than you could ever get from a theoretical study. It's also great fun!
cap'nChino 12 Dec 2012
In reply to David Ponting:
> (In reply to cap'nChino)
>
> My guess would be it's not a "winter climbing teacher", rather a Design&Technology (or whatever it's now called) teacher, who may or may not climb,

ha, that is what I meant. But my poor grammar and lack of punctuation let me down
 David Ponting 12 Dec 2012
In reply to cap'nChino: And if they are a climber, and on UKC, they're probably either despairing at their students' inability to use google, or cackling at the chaos they've initiated!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...