UKC

Alien Cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MunkeeBen 13 Dec 2012
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a rack of Alien Cams... thoughts? Still worth getting or would you recommend something else? and why?

Ben
 neuromancer 13 Dec 2012
In reply to MunkeeBen:

I don't like that they have no passive strength, I often cock placements up and end up with a semi active semi passive placement.
 Aigen 13 Dec 2012
In reply to MunkeeBen: I would wait a litle bit and get the new BD X4's. If you cannt wai then get either Fixe Aliens or Totem Basic cams (Totem Aliens).
I have climbed with almost all cams and find that Metolius Mastercams camming angle is to small so they get stuck alot. The sling is too short and they dont like salty air.
WC Zeros and great but again camming angle is small (bigger range than Mastercams). Great in horizontals until you fall on them and they kink.
BD C3's (which I have along with CCH Aliens) are great for 2 reasons. 1 the head is tiny and 2 they are very durable.
If I were your I would save up (cause BD X4 will be pricy) and get BD X4's. There is a good vid online of them.
 skygod78 13 Dec 2012
In reply to MunkeeBen:
Hi, i've got a full set of the totem basic cams including the hybrid units, i think they are awesome. I took them on a big walling trip this summer and they held up very well, i even took a factor two fall onto one of the hybrid units ( red/yellow) and it did'nt even flinch. If you buy directly from totem and buy a full set they offer a discount. Which is not a bad incentive.
In reply to MunkeeBen: My tuppence, worth: http://www.joe-brown.com/outdoor-equipment/wild_country_zero_friends__set_o...

Zeros split people, I love them, especially the doubled slings and how light they are. Others prefer Aliens, Metolius Master Cams or BD C3s for various reasons, most due to personal preference, some due to concerns about durability. However, the nature of micro cams is that they will always be on the fiddly side but these are just at a ridiculously good price.
 Nick Russell 14 Dec 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
> these are just at a ridiculously good price.

It would be even better if they had more than 3 sizes in stock!
 Hannes 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Russell:

> It would be even better if they had more than 3 sizes in stock!

have you seen how piddly the size 3 is? Unless it is for aiding I can't see the point really of 1 and 2
 neuromancer 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Hannes:

Size 1 and 2 are 3 and 4kn rated. I've fallen on microwires lower than that! The 3 is 6kn rated. Bomber!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...