UKC

2014 Tour to start in Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 14 Dec 2012
News just in! Yorkshire's bid to host the start of the 2014 Tour was successful. Does this mean all the potholed roads will be resurfaced?
In reply to Tall Clare:

Only those on the route

ALC
OP Tall Clare 14 Dec 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:

It's a start!
 The New NickB 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

A good stepping stone for the Tour, maybe if they work really hard we will let them hold part of it in Lancashire sometime soon

More seriously, great news and I believe it is going to pass within a short (15-20 mile) cycle of me.
In reply to Tall Clare:

The Grand Depart is Leeds with a stage in Londres too - whoop whoop.
 JLS 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

>"Yorkshire's bid to host the start of the 2014 Tour was successful."

Good news for Bradley Wiggins. He be able to cycle over the day before with his good wheels strapped to his handle bars. Where about in Leeds is the Youth Hostel? Is it near the start?
 Chris the Tall 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
woo hoo !!

Hopefully a stage finish in Sheffield

I think they'll fill in the potholes but they should leave the speed bumps - that would make the flat stages more interesting !
 Rubbishy 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Brilliant news - that's ace.

Wonder if the route will come past our respective front doors?

In reply to John Rushby:

I doubt they'll get the whole shebang up the lane past my house - some moron in a spangly new 4x4 will no doubt want to come the other way and will refuse to pull over...

I'm going to start a campaign for it to go through Silsden though.
 ripper 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: cue lots of flat-capped spectators watching the riders dance up any hills, while muttering 'I were right about that saddle'!
 GrahamD 14 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:

Cue the rerun of a Hovis advert with the kid cycling on the cobbled streets.
Removed User 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: just to clarify.....are we talkin tour de france here or tour of britain
 Chris the Tall 14 Dec 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to ripper)
>
> Cue the rerun of a Hovis advert with the kid cycling on the cobbled streets.

except that was filmed in Dorset !!

Wonder if they'll include Rosedale Chimney ?

In reply to Removed Userlfenbo:

Hope this helps: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20724621

kevin stephens 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
I'm looking forward to the special addition Yorkshire dialect voice over to Belleville Rendesvous, with brass band music instead of Burlesque
 Padraig 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Guess I'm the only one disappointed it's NOT Edinburgh then?
 Arms Cliff 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to John Rushby)

>
> I'm going to start a campaign for it to go through Silsden though.

Surely Cringles moor is the biggest challenge in these parts and as such Silsden is a must!

balmybaldwin 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Padraig:

Sounds like Edinburgh will get it in a year or two though... would be great to see it head into the highlands for a few days
In reply to John Rushby:

Talk of Pateley and up Greenhow Hill,
 papashango 14 Dec 2012
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

That would be awesome!
Removed User 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to lfenbo)
>
> Hope this helps: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20724621
>
>

yea thanks clare
Tim Chappell 14 Dec 2012
In reply to papashango:
> (In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.)
>
> That would be awesome!

ooh yes it would! I've been wanting to do Greenhow Hill myself for ages, but I'm deterred by the traffic volumes--if I tuck in at the back of the peloton will anyone notice??
Tim Chappell 14 Dec 2012
Mind you, there are two Yorkshires, aren't there?

Where do listeners think the TdF route would go, if the aim was to go through all the very worst bits?

I'm putting in an early bid for (a) Hull and (b) Wath upon Dearne
 Andy Hardy 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:
Is this like Mornington Crescent? In which case -
Grimethorpe
Tim Chappell 14 Dec 2012
In reply to 999thAndy:

What a great name that is, eh? "Grimethorpe." No one can deny that Grimethorpe does exactly what it says on the tin.

If only to incite a spate of road-sign theft/ amusing rude alteration, I think we really must have Penistone, if I can sneak it past the filter
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
>

> If only to incite a spate of road-sign theft/ amusing rude alteration, I think we really must have Penistone, if I can sneak it past the filter

It's just as well that Sc*nthorpe is in Lincolnshire!
johnj 15 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

By ekk, they'd have to ride past Monk Bretton Priory and West Bretton a little bit of France in Yorshur!
 jcharles 15 Dec 2012
>
> Where do listeners think the TdF route would go, if the aim was to go through all the very worst bits?
>
> I'm putting in an early bid for (a) Hull and (b) Wath upon Dearne

This from someone who's location is Dundee & Milton Keynes. You ever heard that expression about people in glass houses? What about the one about pots & kettles.
 jcharles 15 Dec 2012
In reply to jcharles:

Maybe the TDF could go through Glasshouses.
 subalpine 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: no Wiggo, no Sutton in Team Sky- it's as if they don't want to win..
 andy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) no Wiggo, no Sutton in Team Sky- it's as if they don't want to win..

Eh? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21189201
 Brass Nipples 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Some cracking country the published route is passing through. Will have to ride it ahead of the tour and work out a favourite vantage point. Be great for tourism and Yorkshire. Bet the b&b start getting booked up quickly once 2014 is approaching.
 andy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to A Game of Chance:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> Some cracking country the published route is passing through. Will have to ride it ahead of the tour and work out a favourite vantage point. Be great for tourism and Yorkshire. Bet the b&b start getting booked up quickly once 2014 is approaching.

It comes within about half a mile of our house on both days - think we'll watch it go through Skipton then baz over to Harrogate to watch Cav take the yellow jersey, then pop up to the top of Kex Gill the following day to watch them come up from Blubberhouses.
 mark s 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: i shall definitely be going to watch it on the 2nd stage but dont know where.the crowds and traffic are going to be immense
OP Tall Clare 24 Jan 2013
In reply to andy:

I've already had a couple of requests from people wanting to come and stay. Embsay, centre of the known universe...
 Liam M 24 Jan 2013
In reply to andy: I expect Keighley will have never known it so busy. I imagine the drag up to Haworth will throng like it's never thronged before!
 elsewhere 24 Jan 2013
Sir Bradley says he's concentrating on the Giro - let's hope that means we get the Giro on TV as well as the Tour.
OP Tall Clare 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Liam M:

It's not often people look forward to going to Keighley...
 subalpine 24 Jan 2013
In reply to andy: sorry, i meant Wiggins will not be defending his title
 Rubbishy 24 Jan 2013
In reply to andy:

I'm already taking bookings for the campsite( that used to be the lawns) at my house
 Chris the Tall 24 Jan 2013
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to andy) sorry, i meant Wiggins will not be defending his title

Why do you have a problem with that ?

He has said he intends to start the race, but will work for the team in assisting the guy with the best chance. Who knows, it might even be a bluff. However, gIven the routes of the Giro and the TDF this year, it is logical and hardly unexpected.
 geebus 24 Jan 2013
> It's not often people look forward to going to Keighley...

Indeed.

Anyone know the specific route they'll be taking?

Think I'll set this as a date I MUST get myself to living somewhere better before, to avoid all the hassle, as well as the roads for a few weeks either side getting clogged up with lycra .
 geebus 24 Jan 2013
Apparently this, but it's obviously not quite right, though it does use some way points so some thought has gone in to it...
http://goo.gl/maps/jFlbX
 andy 25 Jan 2013
In reply to geebus:
> [...]
>
> Indeed.
>
> Anyone know the specific route they'll be taking?
>
> Think I'll set this as a date I MUST get myself to living somewhere better before, to avoid all the hassle, as well as the roads for a few weeks either side getting clogged up with lycra .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/9808671...

These are the best I've found.
 Mad Tommy 25 Jan 2013
There are higher resolutions versions of the Yorkshire maps at http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-route

I don't think the Cambridge to London route is fully decided yet.
 GrahamD 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Mad Tommy:

> I don't think the Cambridge to London route is fully decided yet.

It isn't, but it HAS to come within a few miles of our house. Looking forward to it already !
 Mad Tommy 25 Jan 2013
The 'official' maps can be downloaded as PDFs from the 'route' tab at http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2013/us/grand-depart-2014.html
 andy 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I assume there'll be some big ceremony jobby on the Friday in Leeds - introducing the teams and stuff? Our mates who live in the city centre have already announced they'll be holding "Le Grand De-Party" that night!
 Andy Farnell 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Looks like Kilnsey is out on that day

Andy F
 Liam M 25 Jan 2013
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Looks like Kilnsey is out on that day
>
> Andy F

Or the top of a route may provide the best view in the house
 MHutch 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to andy farnell)
> [...]
>
> Or the top of a route may provide the best view in the house

Exactly my thought. You'll just have to walk in from Malham Tarn...
 Chris the Tall 25 Jan 2013
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Looks like Kilnsey is out on that day
>
> Andy F

Good way to get yourself on the telly
 Stone Muppet 25 Jan 2013
Is Tetley on the list of permitted substances?
 andy 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Stone Muppet:
> Is Tetley on the list of permitted substances?

Not brewed in Yorkshire any more, I don't think. They'll all be on be Black Sheep, Tim Taylor's and Copper Dragon.

Stone Muppet 25 Jan 2013
I saw the route on the first day passed through Masham. Presumably after that, all bets are off
In reply to Stone Muppet:
> I saw the route on the first day passed through Masham. Presumably after that, all bets are off

That's be interesting - mandatory drink stop in Masham, each rider has to down a pint of Old Peculiar!

ALC

geebus 25 Jan 2013
> The 'official' maps can be downloaded as PDFs from the 'route' tab at http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2013/us/grand-depart-2014.html

Cheers. Nothing particularly excising. "Over the tops" to Hebden Bridge, then towards littleborough are pretty decent climbs, but suspect will be made easy work of by them.

A few bits it'd be nice to get some new tarmac on - there's one bit after Oxenhope that I always get terrible understear in the car/van if I try to take it any speed, so hopefully that'll be rejuvenated (and if not, might go and wait there with the camera .)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...