UKC

The edge wimborne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 foxjerk 15 Dec 2012
Anyone been to the edge climbing wall in Wimborne? Can't find any images to see what it's like. Heading that way for Xmas and choosing between thre and calshot. Any opinions greatly received. Thanks
 steve taylor 15 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk:

Unless Wimborne has upped it's game recently, go to Calshot
 Doghouse 15 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk:

Wimborne is a small wall in a liesure centre with no bouldering (at least when I last went which was admittedly some years ago), Calshot is a purpose built wall with a *huge* overhanging section and good bouldering - knocks the socks off Wimborne. I would highly recomend Calshot over Wimborne.
 uncontrollable 15 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk:

You can't really compare the two. Clashot is a dedicated climbing wall with lead routes, decent route lenghts and bouldering etc.

The Edge is basically a couple of top rope panels at the back wall of a multipurpose gym hall.

That said: If youre looking for a climbing wall in the Wimborne area for a couple of sessions is's pretty decent.
I heard the boldering room upstairs has improved and is supposed to have some interesting problems.

If you have the choice between Calshot and the Edge, go for Calshot. If the Edge is your only option it makes for a decent session
 homing-penguin 16 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk: Utter shit. Go to calshot.
 shaymarriott 16 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk:

I went a few months ago - wasn't great. Bouldering wall was small (I didn't use the big walls as I was there alone) but OK.... very low ceiling so only good for short powerful routes. Loads of holds loose, and some entire panels loose. Never ben to Calshot, but surely it can't be much worse!
 Kieran_John 16 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk:

I went to Wimborne a while back when visiting a friend in Bournemouth. I managed to get a good hour and a half out of the bouldering room but it's certainly not ideal. Very low, problems don't look like they've been changed in years, bits of the wall were damaged when I was there and just in general poor shape.

If you have any alternative, I'd take it.
 homing-penguin 26 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk: I sent a link of this thread to the climbing manager at QE, hopefully he'll take his job a bit more seriously.

Its a shame Bournemouth Uni got rid of their wall, because that was the alternative.
 steve taylor 27 Dec 2012
In reply to homing-penguin:
> (In reply to foxjerk) I sent a link of this thread to the climbing manager at QE, hopefully he'll take his job a bit more seriously.
>
> Its a shame Bournemouth Uni got rid of their wall, because that was the alternative.

Good luck with that! They've not changed their approach (to my knowledge) for several years.
 homing-penguin 27 Dec 2012
In reply to foxjerk: I went to school there. It has got SLIGHTLY better, I haven't taken a rope down for a few years, under the old climbing manager sometimes the ropes would have flat spots as long as my arm!!

Shame, really, all it needs is a bit of care and management and it'd be brilliant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...