UKC

First noticeable thump onto the bouldering mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 16 Dec 2012
Ow!

Nothing seriously injured though. I guess this is some sort of rite of passage.
 neuromancer 16 Dec 2012
In reply to Annoying Twit:

Falling onto the bouldering mat is a right of passage?
 Madden 16 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: I think falling OFF the bouldering mat should be the right of passage. Or falling in the adjacent bog. Or some such.
Annoying Twit 16 Dec 2012
This was an indoor wall, so managing to miss the bouldering mat would be quite a feat. Maybe it's trivial, but I didn't expect my head/brain to hurt like that after the impact. Though the rest of me was utterly fine.
Removed User 16 Dec 2012
The worst (and perhaps silliest) bouldering injury I had was indoors, fingers came off the hold but feet stayed on the wall for a bit longer so I flipped over and landed on my jaw. Found it all very amusing, as did my mates, until I realised that it hurt. That was about fifteen years ago and having got more into bouldering outdoors since then I've been fortunate enough to manage to not do myself any damage coming off any problems.
firewireguy 17 Dec 2012
I've had a few injuries whilst bouldering indoors. First one was where my foot slipped off the hold which then put all my weight through my other ankle, which was already as far up as it would go (i.e. toes as close to my shin as they'd go, if you see what I mean). This crunched something in my ankle joint that took a few months to completly recover.

I also regularly take the skin completly off my hands when climbing overhanging problems on big jugs. So now I stick to very slight overhangs and vertical and slabby problems on crimps.
 adstapleton 17 Dec 2012

Once, bouldering indoors, I leapt for the final jug to complete the problem just above and to the right of my (it was actually a high pop, more than proper dyno), caught the hold with one hand, carried on upwards and to the right past the hold, lost grip on the hold, after pivoting round it somewhat and fell face first (think skydiver long bofore they open the 'chute) onto the mats about 4m below.

It was glorious but thinking back on it i can't see how the laws of physics were obeyed during it... No injuries though.

JDOD 19 Dec 2012
I started climbing/bouldering in October but as I live just around the corner from the climbing centre I have been going at least 3 times a week.

I'm getting better quite quickly but I as soon as I started to notice lots of improvement I started to get more ambitious too. This has resulted in me landing flat out on the mat with a splat quite a few times.
 Reach>Talent 19 Dec 2012
Must try harder, I managed to hit my head on the ceiling at TCA Bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...