UKC

Just moved to Tavistock - Where to climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cornish Cream 17 Dec 2012
Title says it all really.

I know of The Barn, and a place called "High Sports" in Plymouth. Anyone climbed in both places and can offer me some perspective?
 bouldery bits 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Cornish Cream:

The Barn is cracking. Great local atmosphere, v knowledgable staff.

But obviously the moor is best:

http://www.javu.co.uk/
 TommyC 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Cornish Cream: Personally I prefer the Barn, its small but has a steep wall and a free standing boulder, its also owned and run by local climbers and generally seems to have a good atmosphere. Oh its also only a fiver to get in.

Plymouth high sports is also a good wall but doesn't quite have the atmosphere of the Barn, maybe because it's part of a leisure centre? Both are definatley worth a visit though.

If you do head to the Barn make sure you wrap up warm!
 bouldery bits 17 Dec 2012

Also... if you're ever the other side of the moor Dartrock is very good and does great cake.
OP Cornish Cream 17 Dec 2012

Seems The Barn is the favourite! Is it possible to get there through public transport? Wondering if they also have a buddy system...
OP Cornish Cream 17 Dec 2012
In reply to bouldery bits:

Great site, thanks! Some of my family have recently moved to Marrakech, so the Morocco article will prove useful as well.
 Dave Stelmach 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Cornish Cream: The Dewerstone is the crag of choice there, there's a shortcut to Shaugh Prior by the Wrigleys factory.
 Tom Last 17 Dec 2012

The Barn - good wall, good prices, well staffed.

East side of the moor gets better weather than the west, but there's plenty of good venues on the west side.
 Sean Kelly 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Southern Man:
> East side of the moor gets better weather than the west, but there's plenty of good venues on the west side.

Can't say that I have noticed much difference this year! It's been consistently bad.
 Tom Last 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Ha, no argument there!
 Cheese Monkey 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Cornish Cream: Just back from another cracking session at the barn. Good atmosphere and good climbing. High Sports 'life centre' is alright and better for endurance, but kinda clinical and expensive.
 Crimpchimp 17 Dec 2012
yep the barn is the best wall in the area at present. Unfortunately our public transport is crap and there really are no reliable bus services that go through the village.
Dewerstone is great but close to Tavistock its easy to skip over to Bodmin moor and its close enough to get to the A30 and get to the coast. Closest bouldering areas on Dartmoor will be Coombeshead and close to the Dam at Burrator.
The east side of the moor does stay dryer but the coast is a dryer option sometimes, talking about vicarage and the Culm in general.
see you in the Barn. Hitch hiking is not a reliable idea.
OP Cornish Cream 18 Dec 2012

Missed the bus!
 will 23 Dec 2012

Being honest i spend alot of time at high sports, but it is a great wall for top roping and leading. The barn is definately a great place to go bouldering and atmosphere but i haven't been for a while.

As mentioned its worth checking them both out, and making your own mind up about them.

The barn definately has a set of very loyal and dedicated members, and some great boulder problems.

However High Sports can definately hold its own, and route sets happening once a week, yes it is slightly more expensive. but has far more selection of routes.
but i guess a key feature is that it has great public transport access from all over devon and cornwall whether coming by bus or train..

Happy climbing, and hope to see you on the crag, when this weather improves.

Pretty certain if you can get to Launceston, hitching to the barn would not be a problem. Once you go a few times you're bound to meet climbers from or near to Tavi. Speak to the staff, they will put a notice up for you as well if you're struggling.
 chers 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Cornish Cream: The Barn, for sure...and its the closest to you. Plymouth on the bus takes over an hour so it'd be quicker to walk to The Barn! Look them up on Facebook or post on here as I'm sure you'd be able to get a lift, either from Tavi or people coming in from Plymouth.

The Barn is way cheaper, has a free standing boulder as isn't clinical like the other places. Its by far the friendliest too and has an atmosphere you don't get anywhere else
 Aban 07 Jan 2013

Yeah I climb at High Sports on a regular basis and I cant seem to figure out where people get this idea that it is clinical??? so they are vigilant about their safety aspects, but who wants somebody climbing at an indoor wall who is going to hurt themselves? I certainly don't want to see someone get hurt because they do not understand the rules and regulations that are put in place for their own safety

The atmosphere is one of the best I have experienced, there is a great community of climbers there, the staff are all super friendly and very helpful, but in respect to those who climb at the barn, I have not been there so I reserve my judgement until I have the chance to get there.

and in regards to the price, well you pay for what you get, yes it is more expensive but with the availability of more climbing who can really complain?
OP Cornish Cream 08 Jan 2013

Still not managed to get there, transport issues. If anyone from Tavistock wants a weekday afternoon/evening partner, and has transport, then I'd be more than happy to join you! 07877202371
 Latecomer 08 Jan 2013

Depends on your transport situation but I can recommend High Sports (at the Plymouth Life Center) especially if you're on your own, the bouldering area is reasonably large and well set, and though I hate using them, the auto-belays allow you to do a bit of top roping if you fancy something longer. If you have a partner it also has the highest walls in the area.

If you have transport then the vibe and quality of setting at Dart Rock (near Buckfastleigh on the way to Exeter) was extremely good when I used to frequent it.

I never did try out The Barn though so can't comment on that I'm afriad. However it is by far (as you'll already know) the closest to you.
 Cheese Monkey 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Latecomer: Both of the auto belays out of action now
Andy Bearne 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Cornish Cream: A Little further to travel, but The Quay Climbing Centre in Exeter is well worth a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...