UKC

Nikon 1 - what do we think?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 17 Dec 2012
We got our Nikon D3100 nicked in the Burglary in October.
To be honest I didn't have the time (or brains) to learn how to use it properly and Mrs. Ent couldn't get on with it either.
I thought that to do the things I wanted to do with it I needed to spend a few more hundred quid on a long lens and a wide lens.
I seemed to get better results with my Sony Cybershot compact. Maybe a DSLR is not for me.
Anyhow, looks like we'll get paid out on the insurance and I quite like the look of the Nikon 1. There's a deal at Jessops for less than 300 quid with two lenses.

Anyone care to comment and give me some ideas?

Cheers,

E
OP Enty 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Enty:

Or equivalent? Anyone?

E
 sjminfife 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Enty: I have a Coolpix P510 and I am very pleased with it's point and shoot capability.It has 40X zoom which to me seems to work pretty well. It may be a bit bulky for what you are looking for as it is about 2x the size of the Nikon one. I am not a photography buff,mainly point and shoot with the kids.
Steve
 winhill 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Enty:

what about bigger sensors, like Sony NEX-C3 or Olympus Pen?
 The Lemming 17 Dec 2012
In reply to Enty:

Its an interesting idea especially as I haven't played with my dSLR much this year.

I'd like to know more about this camera too.
 SouthernSteve 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Enty:

Having played with one of these (NIkon V1) I think they are quite expensive and the picture quality is not that good, focusing in low light is less than accurate, although in bright light it is very fast and accurate. The shutter speed does feel SLR-like.

Attached via an adaptor to a Nikon 300mm F4 lens the magnification of distant small birds is amazing (c 900mm 35mm equivalent), but you need decent light again.

The auto ISO is frustrating to say the least. I would look to the Sony equivalent given your post, or buy another SLR.
OP Enty 23 Dec 2012
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> what about bigger sensors, like Sony NEX-C3?

Had a look at this in Jessops yesterday and the sensor thing is a good selling point over the Nikon.
There's also a two lens kit option for £349.00.
Might give it a go.

Cheers,

E

In reply to Enty:

I'm in exactly the same position. Nikon D200 in the cupboard not seeing a lot of use, despite wonderful 18-200 lens. My Olympus weatherproof point and shoot gets out a lot more but is very tired now...

I'm really liking the look of the Lumix G3, now significantly lower price; less than £300 on Amazon. For me this kind of camera offers a better compromise if downshifting from full-on DSLR. Weatherproof version of this long rumored, and the GH3 (more video focused, weatherproof) looks great. If you have a spare £1600...??!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...