UKC

pub choice....shetland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 17 Dec 2012
I'm off to Shetland in January with a mate....not especially climbing more of a trip via train/ferry etc. We're planning on getting up to Muckle Flugga and whatever comes up.

Likely to be in Lerwick for 3-4 nights so I'd be grateful on which pubs are worth a visit etc...

Cheers
 Andy Long 18 Dec 2012
In reply to abr1966:

There are plenty of pubs in Lerwick but none that I'd really call decent.

The Lounge Bar has Shetland music on Wednesday and Saturday nights. Bit of a dump otherwise.

We've started going to the bar at Mareel, the new arts centre, after the Monday night Wall session.

Banned User 77 18 Dec 2012
In reply to abr1966: Very few... I wasn't impressed at all.. generally pretty rough, not overly friendly.. some were OK, I think it was the lounge bar I ended up in a few times.
 Deri Jones 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Andy Long: I'd been telling my workmate about the Lounge Bar music sessions after we came up with Dave T and went with you - so when we were up scanning the Pelagic boats, off we went on a Wednesday night. Only to find the Champions league was on and Celtic (or Rangers possibly!) playing, so no tunes. Probably for the best in terms of hangover and working in smelly fish tanks though!
 muppetfilter 18 Dec 2012
In reply to abr1966: Captain Flints on a Friday night was always lively... Watch out if it is a saturday or sunday as rumours used to abound of women doing the island fancydress pubcrawl in minibusses kidnaping wayward men to strip them and dump them outside of the villages.
 Andy Long 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Deri Jones:
Hi Deri!
Yes, Shetland (like Scotland) can be a hard place to live if you can't stand
football and country music. It has its compensations though, which is why I'm still here after 27 years.
 Jim Braid 18 Dec 2012
In reply to abr1966: The Thule bar in Lerwick used to be regarded as "atmospheric". Local joke was that instead of wiping your feet when you went in you wiped them on your way out. May be worth a look in to see if it has changed.
Douglas Griffin 18 Dec 2012
In reply to abr1966:

If you find yourself in the north mainland, the Busta House Hotel is definitely worth a stop. Good bar food and local ales from the Unst brewery. There's a restaurant too if you're feeling flush.

http://www.bustahouse.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...