UKC

Wax on fabric boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 18 Dec 2012
I've got fabric Asolo boots.

Despite regular reproofing the left boot insists on letting in water (the incursion takes place about where the laces start). Is there any reason why I couldn't apply a thick coating of wax (of the type suitable for waterproofing leather boots) to the boot (like, will the wax react violently with the fabric and combust or eat it way!!)
 xplorer 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Its letting water in where there is constant flexing. The membrane could be knackered.

First I'd try filling then up with warm soapy water for afew hours. This will clean the membrane if it has one. You will amazed at the dirt and grime that comes out.

And then use a spray on water proofer.

In what way are you coming into contact with water so much its letting it in? Wouldn't think the odd puddle or stream crossing would be enough to let water in. And I wouldn't have thought rain would manage to build up enough to do the same.

Having a good DWR is the main barrier against water, stopping the fabris becoming saturated.

Clean your boots after every use, or once weekly if using everyday
OP Flinticus 18 Dec 2012
In reply to xplorer:
Hi Thanks for the reply.

Boots get cleaned after every trip.

Odd puddle / stream not an issue but walking on saturated bog for hours is (think Scotland after heavy rain / big thaw: sometimes it seems the whole hillside is one shallow river)! The water can easily cover the toe of the boot.

Will try the warm soapy water & get spray on proofer.

Still any idea what the wax would do? (got a lot of it at home!)
 tony 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

I suspect wax would be useless in this situation. On fabric, I would imagine it would solidify and crack at the first hint of flex.
 xplorer 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm not sure the wax would work very well as said above.

There maybe a wax for synthetic materials aswell, but don't hold me to that.

I can highly reccomend a pair of seal skins goretex waterproof socks for the days you describe.... Have never let me down.
 ciaran1999 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

As said above the membrane is done. As you walk the water is soaking in through the fabric and is being forced through what's left of the mebrane and wetting your foot. Wax is relatively inert and will not harm the fabric, however its probably about time you had some new boots.. Leather is generally better at protecting membranes from the outside and regular cleaning will protect it on the inside.
OP Flinticus 18 Dec 2012
In reply to ciaran1999:
New boots! About £100 for Asolo Flames (and I've already bought my Christmas present). There's a lot of life left in them yet if I can crack the ingress problem.

Do the goretex socks make your feet sweat?
 Sharp 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to ciaran1999)
> New boots! About £100 for Asolo Flames (and I've already bought my Christmas present). There's a lot of life left in them yet if I can crack the ingress problem.
>
> Do the goretex socks make your feet sweat?

Unfortunately the ingress problem isn't "crackable", waterproof fabric boots may last 2-3 years or they may last a few months, as soon as the membrane is punctured they aren't waterproof and short of pulling all the stitches, repairing the puncture and sewing the boot back up they never will be. Either use them as summer boots or get your waterproof socks.
 xplorer 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:

Your feet sweat anyway, just wear the seal skins when your expecting a very wet day.

To be honest, I've never noticed a difference of sweat when wearing them.
OP Flinticus 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Sharp:
Summer boots! I've already got 3 pairs delegated to that role. May just learn to love wet feet.
 Pritchard 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

This problem with fabric boots not lasting long is why I only buy leather boots now (ideally single peice leather with minimal stitching). Heavier but lasts a lot longer in my experience.

Craig.
 mrchewy 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus: I returned my asolo flames - soles worn out and just generally battered but the have the goretex warranty. Replaced without issue with a new pair.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...