UKC

Waterproof Overtrousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pak.pako 19 Dec 2012
Hi, any body can recommend good Waterproof Overtrousers for Scottish winter climbing?

Thanks all so much
 neuromancer 19 Dec 2012
In reply to pak.pako:
How much money do you want to spend?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-200-overtrousers-id_8039740.html

Is the best cheap bet. £50 for taped seams, 2.5l membrane, full length zips, crampon kick patches, knee and bum patches.
 BnB 19 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

If those knee patches are also crampon-hardy then that's a jolly good price
 neuromancer 19 Dec 2012
In reply to BnB:

Not sure about that. They're reinforced, but if you're doing fig 4's then I'm sure you can afford something better than decathlon.
OP pak.pako 20 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer: Hi, I want to spend max £150 but the decathlon trousers is great just shame is out off stock in bigger sizes...

Thanks lot for a help
 BnB 20 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:

It's a good day when I can imitate a figure 1 nowadays.
 anyha 20 Dec 2012
In reply to BnB:Have you thought about old fireman trousers, I have a gore tex pair for work, they are heavy, but are bombproof, cheap and come in a vast range of waists, lengths
 iksander 20 Dec 2012
In reply to pak.pako: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-700-id_8100490.html £90 for stretch waterproof technical trousers is still a good deal
 Neil Pratt 20 Dec 2012
In reply to iksander:

Had a look at the Decathlon waterproof trousers when I was in nabbing a pair of their SImond softshell efforts - they look well put together and, if the softshells are anything to go by, they're incredibly well specc'd for the price. If they're a comfortable fit, they'd be hard to match for the money.
 Taurig 20 Dec 2012
In reply to pak.pako:

I considered the Decathlon £100 overtrousers. I was put off because the hydrostatic head appears to be the bare minimum of 5000mm, and I found a few reviews on the French Decathlon site that said they weren't massively waterproof in the rain, better for snow. I have no personal experience of them though.

I went for the Keela Alpine Advance trousers. I've not used them anger yet, but first impressions are good; high waist, full length zip with stormflap, integrated gaiter, double layer fabric so should be warm, and the Munro jacket in the same material gets good reviews for waterproofness.
 neuromancer 20 Dec 2012
In reply to iksander:

Those are no better than the 39.99 decathlon trousers. They're softshell summer alpine trousers, nay for scottish winter.
 iksander 21 Dec 2012
In reply to neuromancer:
> (In reply to iksander)
>
> Those are no better than the 39.99 decathlon trousers. They're softshell summer alpine trousers, nay for scottish winter.

Uh? They are Decathlon. The 39.99 pair are... £49.99, and 5000mm waterproof compared to the 10000mm £90 pair. Simond are also a Decathlon brand.
OP pak.pako 25 Dec 2012
hi every one

an what about this pans : Mountain Equipment Karakorum Pants ?

I found from £135

any recommendation from owners?
 GridNorth 25 Dec 2012
In reply to pak.pako: I have a pair ME Karakorum Pants which I never seem to wear but they are waterproof and well made. I would think long and hard about if you really want "waterproof" trousers. Personally I find them very uncomfortable and sweaty no matter how "breathable" they claim to be. The only time I would put a pair on would be if it was pouring with rain and I'm not sure that I want to be climbing ice in the rain so I settle for softshell and a pair of lightweight waterproofs for just in case on the way down. Softshell is superb for ice climbing and unless the ice is running with water, when again I would question if I should be climbing it, perfectly adequate and far more comfortable. I had a pair of Mammut schoeller trousers for many years and they were superb, if expensive. The £39 Decathlon ones that I now have are just as affective but only time will tell if they will last as long. Having said all that I haven't climbed in Scotland for many a year now and much prefer the alps which doesn't really suffer from rain as much as Scotland. Even if I went to Scotland the waterproof pants would stay in the sack until really, really needed.
 SouthernSteve 25 Dec 2012
In reply to pak.pako:

I love them, but only when its foul and they are far too heavy for summers in the Alps. If you have to do any sitting around as in winter climbing they are great. Might be worth asking what they are using at Glenmore Lodge, users were very enthusiastic about whatever they were last year (Mammut I think ~ but a very vague memory).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...