UKC

Save wild Ennerdale.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GCS 20 Dec 2012
Wild Ennerdale is threatened by a Nuclear Dump. Please find time to sign the Petition to prevent this happening by using this link:

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/no-nuclear-dump-in-the-lake-district

Further details at:
mrwsold.org.uk

Thanks
In reply to GCS: No, I don't think so.

Unlike others I don't jump onto scaremongering NIMBY bandwagons.
 toad 20 Dec 2012
In reply to GCS: Out of interest

I really don't like to do your job for you, but rather than just link to the petition, why not give some context?

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/nuclear-dump-threatens-lakes

Your OP really put my back up, to the point where I'd already dismissed you as a crank. Having now read Cath Flitcroft's article, I'm more ambivalent.

The question is, where else would you like it to go? The current solution is bloody dangerous and unsustainable, and there are limited options. We can't just wish the stuff away, after all
 Simon Caldwell 20 Dec 2012
In reply to toad:
> The question is, where else would you like it to go?

Underneath London
 brokenbanjo 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Seconded.
In reply to toad:
>
> The question is, where else would you like it to go? The current solution is bloody dangerous and unsustainable, and there are limited options. We can't just wish the stuff away, after all

From Cath Flitcroft's article which you linked to:

"The BMC are concerned about the consequences of these proposals on the landscape of the Lake District, in particular the impact they may have on access to or the enjoyment of climbing, walking and mountaineering in the Lakes, and would encourage our members to sign the No Nuclear Dump petition."

Having lived near a nuclear dump I can understand local concerns about increased traffic and risks of nuclear waste. However, as a climber I'm uncomfortable with the BMC encouraging its members to campaign against, without at least presenting alternatives or a more balanced view.

toad 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Toreador: But the geology under London is silly putty and broken glass. Much as I'd like to put a major engineering programme in Kensington, it just isn't suitable.

serious question - what are the real alternatives?

MattDTC 20 Dec 2012
In reply to toad:
>
> serious question - what are the real alternatives?

Ship it off to some 3rd world country of course
 Radioactiveman 20 Dec 2012
In reply to toad:

Good sensible point about current storage methods , they clearly need improving as soon as possible.

the headline looks like it was written by the sun "Nuclear dump threatens Lakes" and I am pretty sure the waste wont be "intensely hot when it is stored"

That said the prospect of an eyesore in the hills doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

However a large construction project that would bring money to the area and jobs for life if built in a sympathetic manner would be great in my opinion.
 Ridge 20 Dec 2012
In reply to GCS:
I'm going to be doing a fell run to Ennerdale tonight <looks glumly out of window at wind and rain>.
Right up until I drop the final mile into Ennerdale I'll be able to see the proposed contents of this nuclear 'dump', sat above ground on the coast. I'd much rather it was safely underground in a deep geological repository, wouldn't you?
 Ridge 20 Dec 2012
In reply to MattDTC:
> (In reply to toad)
> [...]
>
> Ship it off to some 3rd world country of course

I think West Cumbria pretty much qualifies...
 Robert Durran 20 Dec 2012
In reply to GCS:

Well its got to go somewhere.
Of course we could bin nuclear and cover the countryside in wind farms above ground and fracking beneath ground instead.
 abarro81 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
> (In reply to toad)
> [...]
>
> However, as a climber I'm uncomfortable with the BMC encouraging its members to campaign against, without at least presenting alternatives or a more balanced view.

+1
 sheep 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to GCS)
>
> Well its got to go somewhere.

This issue is also being debated in North Cumbria.

http://www.spand.org.uk/
 Ridge 20 Dec 2012
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to GCS) Out of interest
>
> I really don't like to do your job for you, but rather than just link to the petition, why not give some context?
>
> http://www.thebmc.co.uk/nuclear-dump-threatens-lakes

I'd like to know the source for all this detailed information on how they'll construct a repository that isn't even at the planning stage at a site that hasn't been selected yet. I'm not an expert on tunnels, but I'd have thought for a project that size under Iron Crag you'd bring all your plant to a site on the A595 and put a road/tunnel in from the west coast rather than taking it all on a magical mystery tour of the fell roads, down into Ennerdale, along the lake, up the fellside and start digging vertically down, (and then tunnel back to the A595..)
 Ridge 20 Dec 2012
In reply to sheep:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> [...]
>
> This issue is also being debated in North Cumbria.
>
> http://www.spand.org.uk/

This will be pretty much under our house. Providing the geology is right, (which I'm not overy sure about), and there's protection for the peat mosses and the coastal bird colonies, I'm all in favour. Probably devalue my property, but very positive for the local economy.
 EeeByGum 20 Dec 2012
In reply to GCS: My understanding is that at present, there is no definitive proposal on the table at present. All we know is that Enerdale is one of a number of potential sites.

Having worked a little in the world of public enquiries and planning applications, I can tell you for free that this petition will count for nothing in the grand scheme of things because you are effectively objecting to something that hasn't even been proposed yet.

Such petitions at the stage only seek to undermine genuine opposition when the real fight starts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...