UKC

Thin Woolen Socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KellyKettle 20 Dec 2012
I just picked up a pair of cumbres cheaply, and whilst they fit fine lengthwise, they're snug overall (i spent a few hours wandering round town in them, to check it wasn't an issue) but they're definatley going to be more comfortable with a thinner sock that I normally use (i have several pairs of thick felted wool socks for winter wear).

I've used woolen ski socks before and they tick the boxes, but wear out extremely quickly compared to walking socks.

The ideal socks would be a little thicker than a liner sock; similar to the hardwearing boot socks usually labled as "work socks" or similar, but woolen rather than cotton blend.

Any suggestions?
 Call-Me-Bryce 20 Dec 2012
In reply to KellyKettle:

Smartwool PHDs?
 martinph78 20 Dec 2012
In reply to KellyKettle: I rate my Bridgedale 4 seaon expedition socks. Not sure what they are made from but they are warm and thinner than most socks.
 CurlyStevo 20 Dec 2012
In reply to KellyKettle:
Are you sure they will be warm enough with thinner socks?
OP KellyKettle 20 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: They'll be warmer close fitting than squashing my feet, and they're more substatially insulated than my Kibo's anyway.
 CurlyStevo 20 Dec 2012
In reply to KellyKettle:
I guess that wasn't the question I asked. I can't imagine my feet being warm enough in anything but thick 4 season mountaineering socks, but your feet ain't mine! BTW I have the freneys which also have primaloft insulation.

Smartwool do a full range of socks, if you want lower bulk then you probably want the mid crew ones although these are still quite bulky. The light crew are what I use for most summer walking!
OP KellyKettle 20 Dec 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: I'm aware that it's a compromise, they're cheap and better to climb in, so i'm willing to sacrifice some warmth (my feet are usually very warm anyway). Luckily, with the temps and lengths of time I'm dealing with, it's a case of risking discomfort rather than foot injury.

I'm in the process of changing the insoles and trying to get the leather to 'relax' out of the shape of the previous owners foot, hopefully i'll claw back enough space to fit my normal socks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...