UKC

MIA registration form

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris smith 21 Dec 2012
Hi
I am filling ih my MIA registartion form and am wondering what kind of climbs they are after as acceptable. I know they need VS 4c but what crags will count, do any valley crags count like the Cllanberis pass?

Thanks
 JayPee630 21 Dec 2012
In reply to chris smith:

Surely a troll?
 Ian McNeill 21 Dec 2012
In reply to chris smith:

rob sums it up here http://www.expeditionguide.com/AMI.htm

I had many more routes and years under my harness before registering than Rob just as an indication...

I know others with very similar experience ...

remember minimum standards are minimum and with such you may struggle to participate and contribute effectively to the training course ...

the more the better breadth and depth of experience is essential ...
 JayPee630 21 Dec 2012
In reply to chris smith:

It's made very clear to potential MIAs, and if you're registering on the scheme you should know this surely?
 Davy Virdee 21 Dec 2012
In reply to chris smith:

A very well known instructor who posts on here often said to me when asking if a crag was a mountain crag for my MIA reg. form: "If you have to ask, it probably isn't".

Davy
 Jamie B 21 Dec 2012
In reply to chris smith:

The ideal MIA registration will show multi-pitch routes from all over the UK, with sea-cliffs and full-scale mountain routes being well represented. Fionn Buttress on Carnmore crag is given as an example on your registration paper and is an exemplar of a good route to have listed; it's big, remote, solid at the grade, there are traverses and route-finding to think about and in parts it may be loose or dirty. Other top picks would be something like South Face Direct on Chair Ladder (tidal access and sea-state considerations), routes on Cloggy or Scafell (moody atmosphere, could be hell on earth if conditions not judged well) or something on an rarely-trod cliff like Foinaven or Marsco (shows an exploratory understanding).

What will definately under-sell your registration is an imbalance of shortish routes at roadside multi-pitch venues like Raven, Shepherds, the Pass, Glen Nevis, etc. I did put Valkyrie at the Roaches on my list, but only to show a diversity of experience; the suggestion (cant remember if this is stated or not?) is that 2/3 of your routes are on serious mountain or sea-cliff terrain.
 Hammy 21 Dec 2012
In reply to chris smith: From your logbook, in my humble opinion, there are ten routes that fit the bill plus a few possibles.
 Ben Abbott 21 Dec 2012
In reply to chris smith:

Not sure if your ready to register if your asking this question! Jamie B gives a good reply, it would be wise to read and digest!

Paper doth not a good instructor make!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...